Author Topic: Thanks for the Memories! (And the Tournament)  (Read 14564 times)

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Thanks for the Memories! (And the Tournament)
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:11:16 pm »
I decided that this deserved an entire thread. While participating in all but one day of the tournament was incredibly grueling (I don't know how OVW managed all six), it was an awesome time. The entire thing was incredibly well run. The Ducks put their massive manpower to great use and the outcome was a very slick and well run tournament. With the influx of new players we've recently had, I think the Flotsam was us putting a good foot forward to show them the potential and the appeal the competitive GoIO community has.

So, thank you Ducks. Squash, Sammy, and everyone else here:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,45.msg38153.html#msg38153

I had a great time, and everyone else I know who participated did too. Don't get too big of a head though, Ducks. I imagine the Merry Men will be seeing some of you sometime soon (maybe on Labyrinth or Canyons?), and you'll get no special treatment from us for hosting this tournament.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for the Memories! (And the Tournament)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
We at Overwatch can only concur with the words of DMaximus. This was a great tournament to participate in and we look forward to participating in many more.

I would like to reiterate here just how much we at OVW appreciate the sportsmanship of the Merry Men. You have set the bar on that front at the very peak it can be at, and given us all something to aspire to. You may have lost the campaign, but in doing so, you won the moral victory and we here at OVW salute you for it.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:50:47 pm »
I'd like to give a special thanks to none other than Squash. Most of what you guys saw over the course of the last week was made up of his ideas, and held together by his organizing. He was constantly there to make sure that the tournament ran as smoothly as possible for both players and spectators. So a big round of applause to the man who made all this happen.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 11:14:01 pm »
I'd like to pitch in here and say thanks from the Gents. We had an interesting time on Friday, which we again apologise for- had something similar happened when I took a stab at organising I would've been sunk. Anyways, had an awesome time on Saturday, and I wouldn't mind something similar occurring in the future. I know the guys in the Gentleguard had a hell of a time today, it's always good when it's that close. Besides that grats to all the winners, and I can't wait to see how this ambush system plays out.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:13 am »
I'm sad the campaigns over.
It was a lot of fun to watch and to participate in as a Duck Buddy.
Good job to everyone involved, both everyone involved in the organisation and running of the event, and the competitors! Teams that put in even 1 or 2 days is a big deal, and it's awesome that teams did as many as they could. The fact that some put in for either the full 6 days or near enough, is fantastic.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:30:11 am »
Well i just watched the last one but hell it was great.
U guys did a great job. Only thing i would love next time. Not bo1. That way lucky spawns can have a way to big impact. U could may use a double elimination system or just normal bo3.
Else it was great. Really great. U ducks did a good job.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:28 am »
Many thanks to everyone who participated in the organization/management of the tourney, it was a really fun event. Also thanks to all the teams and players who showed up and made the evenings so exciting with all those good matches.  :) BTW, any chances to find the twitch vids on youtube in the future? I'd like to save them for clan history, but downloading from twitch is beyond me.  :D

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:15:04 am »
Jup they sad they will be uploaded there but im not sure which one it was sadly :D.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:32 am »
Well i just watched the last one but hell it was great.
U guys did a great job. Only thing i would love next time. Not bo1. That way lucky spawns can have a way to big impact. U could may use a double elimination system or just normal bo3.
Else it was great. Really great. U ducks did a good job.

Thanks Alistair :)

Thing with Bo3 is that even though it's a more interesting format than Bo1, it takes a really, really long time. We wanted to keep everything at a reasonable length, since a 4-5 hour tournament every day wouldn't have been feasible.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:17:03 am by N-Sunderland »

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:16:05 am »
Even today, with the campaign running as smoothly and as efficiently as it did, with 2 simultaneous streams going on, and with so many teams competing, the total run time of all the matches went for what, something over 2 hours? That number would be at least doubled if there was a double elimination bracket or best of 3.

Since this was a 6 day event and international timezones were in play, draining the endurance of all the competitors in one day isn't entirely ideal.

Plus, in my opinion, first to 5 kills makes the battle for the map titles more intense, urgent, and exciting!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:22:54 am by Morblitz »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 01:35:53 pm »
Can someone give me the yt channel the matches should get uploaded to? Seems i cant find em.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
Currently you can find the videos on twitch.

Mostly here http://www.twitch.tv/gunsoficarus/profile/pastBroadcasts
and half of the final day here http://www.twitch.tv/fightboyvash/profile/pastBroadcasts

Qwerty2jam has graciously offered to upload them to his youtube site as well sometime this week http://www.youtube.com/user/occeffective/videos though they aren't yet available there.

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 04:21:04 pm »
I enjoyed the tournament and enjoyed working on some of the lore behind the clans. Those that haven't read those should look those up in the Cantina under "The New Dynasty Age".

And I'm still disappointed in Sunderland. ::)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 04:26:05 pm »
I enjoyed the tournament and enjoyed working on some of the lore behind the clans. Those that haven't read those should look those up in the Cantina under "The New Dynasty Age".

To be fair, the one clan I had the lore for didn't end up participating :P

Offline Yiski

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 42
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »

To be fair, the one clan I had the lore for didn't end up participating :P

Lazy mallard. Should have gotten Rethburn to do the lore. That would've been interesting.