Author Topic: Vertical map idea  (Read 12520 times)

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
Vertical map idea
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
I have no idea if this is even possible, but what about a map where the most important axis is the vertical one? Instead of ships charging across the battlefield from long distances away, the main thing is moving up and down to reach your opponents.

I'm thinking an immense canyon with debris scattered across the bottom. It would still need to be wide enough across for weapons like the Mercury or Lumberjack to still be useful, but it would be taller than it was wide- a tall, thin space rather than a flattened cube.

Vertical positioning is already an important part of the game- no ship can hit an enemy that's directly above or below them, and attacking from above or below has advantages and disadvantages (whether you're gunning for the balloon or hull, for instance). I think it would be fascinating to see the strategies a mainly up-and-down conflict would create.

If anything, it would certainly get more use out of Hydrogen and the chute.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical map idea
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
Yes. Yes. Yes so much. I want this.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:59:45 pm »
Very interesting, I was thinking more of a realy heavily industrialized canyon, or basically a fissure, with lots of mines and train bridges. Definately an awesome concept.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »
how about that forest map everyone is talking about, with MASSIVE trees, and branches acting as obstacles for vertical movement.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:16:23 pm »
The Merry Men are always in support of a forest map. We feel at home in forests, for some reason.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:06 pm »
I had a sketch of a map I made up called "The Mines." Basically it was a massive cavern made into a mining operation. Large central chamber that has a tunnel above leading to the surface, also where the airships came in from, and an array of features from quarry's, to massive cave systems, and an underground lake with stalagmites all over. It was a cat and mouse control point map where a defending team has to prevent the attacking team from stealing resources from different points of the mining operation. I never posted it because most content suggestions are not really looked at much, and the Devs just have other plans to work on then to add in instead of what players come up with, and that makes sense.

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
I never posted it because most content suggestions are not really looked at much, and the Devs just have other plans to work on then to add in instead of what players come up with, and that makes sense.

No harm in getting your ideas out there. At the very least, it might entertain a few people for a short time. I like your idea- flying through a system of underground caverns sounds really cool. If it was dark, you could even make heavy use of flares to temporarily light up areas to give yourself a better look at things.

Echoez, I like your suggestion- having the canyon crisscrossed by train bridges means you'll have to pay attention when you go up and down, and could complicate maneuvering in a fun way.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:36:11 am »
Yes. Yes. Yes so much. I want this.

I second this statement

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:23 am »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 05:49:45 pm »
Why not both/all?

Offline Silas Knight

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • best
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »
Why not both/all?
I second this statement!

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 06:20:30 pm »
An interesting thing about this is that it would totally change how balloon popping affects a battle. Getting a "bounce kill" would be hard (depending on how high up you are), so popping an opponent's balloon would be more like disabling their engines on a standard map- you're messing with their ability to control their ship. I can totally imagine "free fall" battles where you just straight up ignore the balloon for a while as you plummet, only working on it when you fall far enough.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:22 am »
Can the developers fix velcros first?

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:15 am »
Can the developers fix velcros first?

That has already been fixed I -think-, just waiting for the patch.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 04:05:45 am »
Velcro is always being worked on. Next Fix is right around the corner. As for the map, yes but then I want a ladder up to my balloon for somebody shouting down at me telling me where the mines are.