Author Topic: make competitive play more attractive  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
make competitive play more attractive
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »
Well im not suggestion any gameplay changes here.
Im just thinking of a way to make competitive play more attractive to newer players or at least show them a bid of it.
As many players may find the game mostly via Steam they probably wont find the forum so fast or doesnt even bother that it exists.
To get more players into it ill suggest something that already worked pretty well for other games.
My go-to example here is league of legends. Many play it and many many follow the competitive scene. The reason for this is in my opinion that the streams for competitive are linked in the game launcher.
If we would have sth similiar in goio many many players would find it which may lead to more crowded streams which could also lead to some more ppl finding the game.
When the links for the events and streams (at least some bigger once) are ingame all that newer guys or the guys not visiting the forum would get a link to all of this ingame.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: make competitive play more attractive
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:32:55 pm »
I like it. Link to twitches and youtubes. Mutually beneficial. Symbiotic.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:56 pm »
They actually are planning this if I heard correctly, they're going to integrate into the website first and into the game later.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:32:26 pm »
do we really want a player base like LoL though?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »
do we really want a player base like LoL though?

LoL has its *distinctive* playerbase for different reasons. As far as I can tell the above changes would do a lot of good without very many side effects.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:49 pm »
I'm not debating about the coming changes, all of them, not just streaming, will be good for the game as a whole imo.

Games who sell themselves as esports  (LoL, CS) attract a certain kind of player and while contributing factors are the way these games implicitly reward bad player behaviour, the prevalence of a "by any means" attitude sees gaming the game as acceptable, if not inevitable.