Author Topic: Fixing Spectator Mode  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
Fixing Spectator Mode
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:58 pm »
As a caster, I find it hard to recorded decent quality games due to a few reasons:

1. Invisible walls
I Often times find that some times I'll get hitched on random corners or invisible walls on the corner of the map making it hard to make the footage seem fluid. A no clipping feature should be used for spectator mode.

2. Clouds
Holy Hannah, we just straight up need a feature to toggle clouds, it can be hard as hell to get a good angle on the action when clouds consistently get in the way or just hide the action entirely.

3. Names
When in spectator mode I think that when we choose to display names, they should be less intrusive on the ship model itself. I often times find that the names cover the ship completely, I'd like to leave it up for my viewers sake as it can sometimes be difficult to follow the action if you don't know which ship I'm talking about. However the names often cover up the ship and make things a lot less interesting.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Spectator Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »
Most of the map can be noclipped, but there are definitely some weird invisible walls here and there. I don't mind the clouds myself, since omitting them would be a misrepresentation of the action going on. I don't mind the names either, but I see how they could  be a bit annoying when you're zoomed out.

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »
The clouds on numerous occasions have just blinded me entirely, and I'm not saying we should be rid of clouds, instead I'm saying they should be able to be toggled on and off like the names. I do a lot of wide angle shots and try to capture all the action that is going on (within reason) so those issues are all magnified for me as A caster.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:51:41 pm »
I understood that, and I see your problem. I still think that it would be misrepresenting the action, though, and the viewers might ask themselves things like "why doesn't ship x shoot ship y? He's clearly in sight" without knowing that there are clouds there. So maybe something to make the clouds easier to see-through would work out.

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:29 am »
The point of toggling is to be able to turn it off and on, I would utilize it in such a way that the viewers are aware of lines of sight. If not toggling then a transparency control might work, but I think that would be a little hard for the devs to integrate.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:40:00 am by PapaParadox »

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:28 am »
I understood that, and I see your problem. I still think that it would be misrepresenting the action, though, and the viewers might ask themselves things like "why doesn't ship x shoot ship y? He's clearly in sight" without knowing that there are clouds there. So maybe something to make the clouds easier to see-through would work out.

A slight misrepresentation is still better than not showing something interesting, though, as a broadcaster you're primarily there to entertain the audience.  Being able to toggle the clouds on and off quickly would make it easier to communicate that yes, this ship is hiding but it's still doing all this neat stuff.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
Big upgrades are coming to the spectator system, stay tuned. I think you'll be pleased.