Author Topic: "Guns of Icarus" fans, holding game back.  (Read 69747 times)

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "Guns of Icarus" fans, holding game back.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »
http://www.cracked.com/funny-3809-internet-argument-techniques/

Aythreuk, I'd like to draw your attention to #1 and #4.

Every time an experienced player takes a newbie under his wing, and teaches him how to play, that's a kindness. Every time a player on a winning team switches to a losing team to balance the teams, that's a kindness. Demanding that players always behave this way ignoring all other circumstances, which include
-Playing with friends
-Playing with teammates
-Playing with vocal partners
-Playing with people you know are cooperative and helpful

is just wrong. The strength of this community is that experienced players frequently provide kindnesses to those who are just beginning or on the wrong side of the battle, but demanding that the kindness becomes a law is absurd. In fairness though, you aren't doing that. You're just blaming literally everyone for an abstract vaguery.

Good day sir.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:53 pm »
Squash gets a salute for that.

I like helping new players. If the other team if getting smacked really badly, I'll be one of the first ones to say "Okay guys, I'll lend those people a hand". But sometimes I just want to play with people I know. Simple as that.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:25 pm »
Quote from: RearAdmiralZill on Today at 09:30:19 pm

Posts like this are why the community isnt that big.

Please provide evidence and explain.

Because anyone with your mindset will be doing the same thing, posting on the forums, claiming regular players are killing the game somehow, instead of actually playing the game.

Problem is you just missed the fact they won 5-4 against us in a very good match.

That definitely isn't normal, not sure why you would post that.

Because you decided to post our match as an example. They won because they learned, changed strategies, and beat us. Not come onto the forum and point fingers at the loyal fanbase of GOIO.

No one is forcing you to press the ready button. The title of the match is not "New player game!"

Quite often there will only be two-three matches up at all. And when one of those is Asian and another is European, my options are very limited. Me and my friend actually did what you said a few times this week. We didn't hit the ready button, had to just go play something else.

Good. And just because a server is not located in your area does not make it unplayable. I play on Euro and Asian servers all the time. While only US servers would be nice, its not always feasible.

Stacked teams is a poor excuse for not learning from defeats.

Quote the part where I don't learn from my defeats.

The moment you logged onto the servers and posted this thread instead of playing the game.

Just because 11k people bought the bundle does not mean they bought it for GOIO either

I knew this point would come up, feel free to knock off a few thousand from that number, it doesn't really affect it that much.

I would be tickled to death if 9k people bought that bundle for GOIO. The sale before this, with only GOIO on sale, only got us ~1k. Thats not all in one region either, so its spread out.

but whining about stacked teams will not make you a better GOIO player.

You can say that I was whining, you're clearly going to say what you want regardless. I'd like to believe I was simply informing you of the reasons why your community is small and didn't grow at all much in that huge sale.

You would of been worried then if you think this is somehow low. We could barely scrape together one match at non-peak hours. The community has grown quite nicely despite your reasons for believing it hasnt.

I knew posting here would bring about these kinds of responses, due to the fact that only veterens will search the forums, and veterans probably don't like having their attention brought to these facts. Basically, my thread was doomed from the beginning.

Maybe I'm illogical.

We invite everyone to the forums. Ive met plenty of new players through this medium. Not everyone wants or cares to look at forums and participate in the comunity in a bigger way. To think all your posts are useless is illogical. However, it is also illogical to think the loyal fanbase will not give its opinion when falsely accused of hanging new players by their necks just to shrink a community.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:32:23 pm by RearAdmiralZill »

Offline Aythreuk

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:34:15 pm »
You can say that I was whining, you're clearly going to say what you want regardless. I'd like to believe I was simply informing you of the reasons why your community is small and didn't grow at all much in that huge sale.

I'm sorry, but you're in no position to judge the growth of the community. It wasn't that long ago that I was getting seriously worried about the size of the game's community. The recent influx of players from various promotions has reignited the game. I hadn't seen 300 players online since... Well... When the game launched in October.

I'm allowed to have any opinion I like actually. Unless you wish to exercise your powers as a moderator and silence my opinion.
My opinion, at its core is that this community could of benefited more from the big sales if the veterans didn't stack together constantly. Problem?

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3809-internet-argument-techniques/

Aythreuk, I'd like to draw your attention to #1 and #4.

Every time an experienced player takes a newbie under his wing, and teaches him how to play, that's a kindness. Every time a player on a winning team switches to a losing team to balance the teams, that's a kindness. Demanding that players always behave this way ignoring all other circumstances, which include
-Playing with friends
-Playing with teammates
-Playing with vocal partners
-Playing with people you know are cooperative and helpful

is just wrong. The strength of this community is that experienced players frequently provide kindnesses to those who are just beginning or on the wrong side of the battle, but demanding that the kindness becomes a law is absurd. In fairness though, you aren't doing that. You're just blaming literally everyone for an abstract vaguery.

Good day sir.

Go ahead, keep stacking. I'm not "demanding" that you guys stop stacking. rofl, I'm just gonna play other things. Thought you'd like to know what you're doing wrong though.

This may surprise you, but playing against your pals is actually still a form of playing with them.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:40:42 pm »
I'm allowed to have any opinion I like actually. Unless you wish to exercise your powers as a moderator and silence my opinion.
My opinion, at its core is that this community could of benefited more from the big sales if the veterans didn't stack together constantly. Problem?

I never said that you didn't have the right to an opinion. That's just misquoting for the sake of misquoting. I said that you are not informed enough to understand the growth that the community has seen recently. Nothing to do with opinions.

And please don't suggest out of nowhere that I would censor what you say. That would be against the mod rules, and would be plainly stupid. I don't even have mod powers in this section.

Offline Aythreuk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:56 pm »

I never said that you didn't have the right to an opinion. That's just misquoting for the sake of misquoting. I said that you are not informed enough to understand the growth that the community has seen recently. Nothing to do with opinions.

And please don't suggest out of nowhere that I would censor what you say. That would be against the mod rules, and would be plainly stupid. I don't even have mod powers in this section.

Thank you very much. Then I will continue to have my opinion about the community and judge it freely.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:56 pm »
Yeah, and we'll continue to disagree with it. That's the way it is.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »

Alright... Nobody is telling you to stop voicing your opinion, but don't expect us to withhold our own...

Go ahead, keep stacking. I'm not "demanding" that you guys stop stacking. rofl, I'm just gonna play other things. Thought you'd like to know what you're doing wrong though.

this entire thread could've been avoided if you had. The fact that you are still posting here is that you like the game, and care about the community. we do too. This post was just to incite drama, and I'm sorry, but I've been through high school once... I don't want to do it again. Yes you can say that me posting here is inviting drama, but I figure I would get my two cents in.

Offline Aythreuk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »

Because anyone with your mindset will be doing the same thing, posting on the forums, claiming regular players are killing the game somehow, instead of actually playing the game.

Basically what you're saying here is ~ Players voicing their opinions on the forum (I'll admit, perhaps unfavourable ones) is bad

Problem is you just missed the fact they won 5-4 against us in a very good match.

Because you decided to post our match as an example. They won because they learned, changed strategies, and beat us. Not come onto the forum and point fingers at the loyal fanbase of GOIO.

I can see their loyalty very clearly here, no need to mention it. You say I point fingers. Okay. Yes, I think they stack most of the time, I'll admit, not 100% of the time. Are you saying they don't regularly stack teams? Wake up

No one is forcing you to press the ready button. The title of the match is not "New player game!"

Quite often there will only be two-three matches up at all. And when one of those is Asian and another is European, my options are very limited. Me and my friend actually did what you said a few times this week. We didn't hit the ready button, had to just go play something else.

Good. And just because a server is not located in your area does not make it unplayable. I play on Euro and Asian servers all the time. While only US servers would be nice, its not always feasible.

I played on a European server once. I was the captain and my crew all spoke some European language. Thanks but no thanks. You could say practically anything is "playable", it doesn't really say much.

Stacked teams is a poor excuse for not learning from defeats.

Quote the part where I don't learn from my defeats.

The moment you logged onto the servers and posted this thread instead of playing the game.

Basically, the moment I spoke my opinion and stopped playing your glorious game.
C'mon, you're just being ridiculous now.

You are typing a lot, but saying very little.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »
You are typing a lot, but saying very little.

The feeling is mutual.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:42 pm »
So you can express your opinion, but if we express ours then you complain about us not wanting you to express yours? This is the Internet. People will disagree with you.

Offline Aythreuk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:28 pm »

Alright... Nobody is telling you to stop voicing your opinion, but don't expect us to withhold our own...

this entire thread could've been avoided if you had. The fact that you are still posting here is that you like the game, and care about the community. we do too. This post was just to incite drama, and I'm sorry, but I've been through high school once... I don't want to do it again. Yes you can say that me posting here is inviting drama, but I figure I would get my two cents in.

Logic and statistics incite drama. Okay, if you say so.

I guess you could call it drama if you want, I'd call it controversy. (and I'm being generous there, there are other things I'd like to call it)

Offline Aythreuk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:20 pm »
The fact that you are still posting here is that you like the game, and care about the community.

Most interesting thing said by anyone in this thread. Actually as it just so happens, I do quite like the game, I think it's pretty good. So there you have it.

Also, I respect the fact the moderator won't lock the thread/ban me/give me a warning or anything. I've seen some pretty controlling mods before and some pretty censored forums.

Offline Mander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »
Good posts, Aythreuk. Think I'll salute you.

I like the game. It's fun. But you know what's NOT fun? Losing against a stacked team, going 0-5 in a really quick, really unbalanced game, after waiting forever for the many empty spots on my team to fill up...while the opposing team stayed full...because everyone wants to be on the stacked, winning team. Could've played sooner, had a more challenging game (for both sides), if even a few of the stacked-team members would've trickled over to my team. Maybe they were all friends? That's cool. Friends don't like to compete against each other SOMEtimes? Maybe they do. Maybe they didn't want to THAT time...or any of the other various times I've seen the stacks. But what are new players meant to think, when that's what they have to play against? Pretty sure many of them would think you guys just enjoy steamrolling noobs.

One or two of you have said you learn best from playing against stacked teams. Good job. Maybe I'll feel the same way when I'm not so new. But for the time being, I don't feel like I'm learning anything when my team gets pummeled 5 minutes into the match. Zero fun. Zero learning. Just left wondering what went wrong. Zero answers. However, when I played in an evenly balanced match, I learned so much! It was the best experience I've had since I started playing this game. Too bad the majority of the matches I'm in aren't like that...

Seriously, though, if I was a veteran, and I was on a stacked team of friends, I'd go to the other side and take a couple friends with me. Makes it balanced, makes it fun for everyone involved. Get to kick other friends' asses and poke fun at them for losing against my noob team. There's more than one way to have fun with friends...

Not asking for a free win...that's boring. Not asking to be babysat. Asking for a fun challenge, not a seriously quick and unfair bashing.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:53 pm »
If you don't want to lose to a stacked team...

Just don't play in a match with a stacked team.