Author Topic: What to do if abandoned?  (Read 9121 times)

Offline Ironlake

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
What to do if abandoned?
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:01:16 am »
I've found myself in a few situations where I'm captaining a junker and all players on my supporting ship have abandoned me leaving only AI's. Personally I've found a decent strategy is to retreat to the friendly ship so it can at least be used for support fire. Has anyone else found a solution to being abandoned?

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do if abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:12:07 am »
Prevent people from abandoning first.

I'd be helpful in tell us what you run on a Junker to find out if people left because of the loadout, don't take this personaly it's not meant as an insult, but many new players run loadouts that don't realy work.

Now if the loadout wasn't the problem and maybe your piloting isn't at its best, don't feel bad about that either, we were all at that point some time ago. It's good to talk with your crew and make the game a fun experience for them, even if you're losing, people will be inclined to stay on your ship and go through with it.

If people STILL leave after this, well, that's a shame for them, there's realy nothing you can do to if you are abandoned than what you have already mentioned, just stay close to your ally and hope AI's can shoot correctly.

Though, AIs or not, sticking close to your ally and focusing down the same target is something you want to do anyway.

Fly safe!

Offline Ironlake

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:18:27 am »
Prevent people from abandoning first.

I'd be helpful in tell us what you run on a Junker to find out if people left because of the loadout, don't take this personaly it's not meant as an insult, but many new players run loadouts that don't realy work.

Now if the loadout wasn't the problem and maybe your piloting isn't at its best, don't feel bad about that either, we were all at that point some time ago. It's good to talk with your crew and make the game a fun experience for them, even if you're losing, people will be inclined to stay on your ship and go through with it.

If people STILL leave after this, well, that's a shame for them, there's realy nothing you can do to if you are abandoned than what you have already mentioned, just stay close to your ally and hope AI's can shoot correctly.

Though, AIs or not, sticking close to your ally and focusing down the same target is something you want to do anyway.

Fly safe!

Thanks I tend to use a field gun on the front with gat/mortars on the side. I don't know if this is good or not but It's worked for me. The problem is most likely my flying though. Thanks for helping out a helpless noob.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:28 am »
never helpless when you ask questions. The build you describe is a fairly common Junker build for most. I find that one of the easiest ways to keep an ally, is to communicate with them as much as possible... If you're feeding your ally information, your ally if more prone to stay and fight it out. I will say this as well... if an entire boat leaves, then I can guarantee you that it's not going to be fun for you, or your enemies.... Sometimes it's much better to surrender the match, and wait for another ally.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:37:53 am »
Hi Ironlake

I think the fact you made your way to the forums is a positive thing - it means you like the game enough to want to get better.

Can I ask if you are having these problems in level locked matches or not? By level locked I'm mean matches for level 1-3 players only.

if an entire boat leaves, then I can guarantee you that it's not going to be fun for you, or your enemies.... Sometimes it's much better to surrender the match, and wait for another ally.

The problem is however even if you surrender and the other ship hasn't, the match won't end, instead you'll be stuck on a dead ship until the victory conditions are met.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:39:29 pm »
If the entire ally ship leaves mid match, it will be set to surrender.  So you should be able to surrender to end the match should that happen to you again.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »
Well possibly a temporary glitch but the only time I've done this things went as described. I posted about it here in one of the various rage quit threads though can't find it atm.

Oh and talking of which I can't seem to get the forum search to successfully look for more than 1 word searches, multiple key words and phrases always draw blanks, am I missing something?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
There is not shame in surrendering when your ally chickens out. We have all been in that situation before and wont hold it against you. If you do want to fight it out, get close to your ally. Further more position yourself in the optimal firing area of your ally's main guns. If has long range guns park yourself 500-700 meters out, if he has close range guns park at 200 meters or so. Most players don't like attacking stationary ships so they will ignore your AI ally and go for you. Don't expect too much from the AI damage wise, but the few extra bullets they contribute could tip the fight in your favor.

The average rage quitter leaves after getting killed, so there is a good chance your ally ship is sitting at a spawn point. Fighting at your spawn point has its advantages. Even if they kill you, you can be back on top of a wounded opponent before he gets repairs complete. If you do manage to make a kill, it will take longer for the respawned enemy to come to the aid of his friend.

Outfighting two ships with an all AI ally is difficult but not impossible. In fact if the cowardly wretches who abandoned you were nice enough to leave a Galleon, your chances of winning might have actually improved. The AI files a galleon much better than many newbie pilots. A galleon is supposed to occupy a section of sky, not move anywhere, and blow the crap out of anything that comes close to it. Most newbies don't get that, where as the AI understands it perfectly.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:19:20 am »
Sometimes it's much better to surrender the match, and wait for another ally.

If my entire team ever completely abandons me I just start giving orders and talking nonsense to the AI and start screaming *metaphorically* into the match chat at the enemy team and go ram them... works pretty good sometimes... mostly not :D

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:52 am »
I've found myself in a few situations where I'm captaining a junker and all players on my supporting ship have abandoned me leaving only AI's. Personally I've found a decent strategy is to retreat to the friendly ship so it can at least be used for support fire. Has anyone else found a solution to being abandoned?

If you're not going to surrender, that's a pretty decent strategy.  It also works in 3v3 DM when you lose one ship on the team, forming the other two up around the abandoned ship prevents it being used for easy kills (although it will be blind-spot vulnerable) and you get some benefit from AI fire support.

The ultimate solution is to find better Captains to team with.  Use your Social lists to Friend players that play well and Block those that play badly (including rage-quitting).  Take screenshots of the teams so you've a reminder who you've played with.