Author Topic: Please fix the spectator camera  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Please fix the spectator camera
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:36:21 am »
Whenever I'm flying around in freelook mode, the way the camera turns is extremely odd. Just imagine in real life if your eyes were positioned 100 meters behind your head, so, when you turn to look to the left, your eyes are swept over to your right side, the same distance away from you. That's what it's like in freelook mode, and it is just not natural at all. In fact, it's down right frustrating to use and nauseating as hell. I'll get right up close to a ship or two, try to turn around and strafe to see the other side (like a normal spectator camera in like every other game in existence), only to find myself on the other side of a mountain that I saw in the distance. Even if I don't strafe and simply turn around, the camera still ends up a long distance from what I was looking at.

Please position the camera as if it were at the center of the turn, like the PoV from a player on a ship.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Please fix the spectator camera
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:37 am »
The camera uses a base third person controller package in unity, with the mesh renderer removed, making it invisible. You actually moving around an invisible capsule.
I don't know why they use it over the base first person controller package, the only thing I can think of is it may have been implemented with as little effort as possible thus using the first person might effect the normal players somehow.