Author Topic: Captain TEXT chat  (Read 15322 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Captain TEXT chat
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:04 am »
We have captain voice chat but what about captain text chat? Some captains don't use microphones and sometimes voice is difficult or hard to understand.

Offline JaegerDelta

• [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Captain TEXT chat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:23 am »
team text chat is already a thing, unless you wanna keep secrets from the crew.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:41 am »
team text chat is already a thing, unless you wanna keep secrets from the crew.

Yes I know, but sometimes you just want to talk to the other captains through text.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:54 am »
So use the "Team" chat? Not sure whats wrong with it.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:36 am »
Unless you're scared of mutiny, Captain text chat would only add an extra button for you to push... Also, in my experience, the Captains who don't talk to you either through team chat or captain voice chat probably done speak your language anyway...

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:05 am »
Unless you're scared of mutiny
my worst nightmare as a captain D:

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:27 am »
Unless you're scared of mutiny
my worst nightmare as a captain D:

Apparently Firestone gets it all the time!

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:36 am »
It's his own fault.... he makes it so easy

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Rather than add an extra chat, just recolor the captain's name so it's clear that you're talking to the other captain and not some overzealous engineer.  That'd actually be useful in Crew and Regional as well.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:03:22 pm »
Rather than add an extra chat, just recolor the captain's name so it's clear that you're talking to the other captain and not some overzealous engineer.  That'd actually be useful in Crew and Regional as well.

I might see a use for this in Regional.... maybe.... but if you need to know who your captain is on a 4 man ship, then you have greater problems...

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

I might see a use for this in Regional.... maybe.... but if you need to know who your captain is on a 4 man ship, then you have greater problems...

On your own ship it's more a matter of noticing which blue text is the captain, it's kinda hard to read against some backgrounds (though even if that wasn't the case it's always good to make the captain seem more important to add more flavor to the game).  The big use is for Team chat, where being able to identify the other captains without cross-checking it with the scoreboard could be a big boon.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »

I like this idea!

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »
alternatively, a simple unique symbol in front of or behind the captain's name

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »
Usually the contents of the message gives away if it is an internship communication, or regular crew chat. For authenticity sake I try to add "*my ship name* to *team mate's ship name*" before the message such as:
"Golden Phoenix to Azura's Wrath we are running under the clouds to the south of your position, hostile pyramidion spotted  East of us and moving in your direction."

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
Usually the contents of the message gives away if it is an internship communication, or regular crew chat. For authenticity sake I try to add "*my ship name* to *team mate's ship name*" before the message such as:
"Golden Phoenix to Azura's Wrath we are running under the clouds to the south of your position, hostile pyramidion spotted  East of us and moving in your direction."

Well the [Crew] usually lets you know if its crew chat, I'm talking about making the captain distinct so that in Team chat the other captain can tell who's who as its not uncommon for a crew member on another ship to speak up in their captain's place if they think their captain isn't communicating enough.  Having him show up as distinct in the other channels is more for consistency's sake.