Author Topic: Has anyone done this?  (Read 10161 times)

Offline Megabear

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
Has anyone done this?
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »
LOL ship with Javelin + Phobos Mine Launchers suicide run? 

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone done this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »
A munker with a harpoon? Seen 'em, though not often.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:40 pm »
I had some fun the other day with a mobula, 3 mines and an artemis on the lower decks and a harpoon above the pilot. Engineers fire mines, gunner fires mines or artemis, i fired the harpoon as pilot (using the jump and get on the gun trick from the helm) and then went full reverse to try pull them into mines. It worked alright and we weren't doing the best job of it that we could have.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »
The harpoon used to have a greater pulling force over a longer period of time. We used to use it to fling other ships into walls back before mines were a thing. I have seen people try it on a Squid or pyra but the harpoon's duration is so short that you really can't use it to reposition a ship reliably enough to slam them into a mine.

Offline Megabear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:48:36 pm »
I'd love to try it.  No Jav, just mine launcher... with Pyramidian.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:14:08 pm »
Back with the old Harpoon, which lasted two or so minutes, I had a Mobula with harpoons on the bottom deck, mine launchers on the top deck wings and either mine or artemis on the middle top, above the pilot, for the gunner to use. The thing was, the old harpoon didn't have too much pull force, but its physics were massively unpredictable. The physics are still screwed, but you don't notice it in the short duration of the harpoon, in fact they were so screwed that it was not rare for ships to be facing their butt to each other while both trying to orbit around the other.

The point of said Mobula was to shoot both harpoons at the same time, because in this off centered position, both harpoons would stabilize better, keeping the enemy in front of the ship. The harpoons made sure nobody would be able to escape so they were bound to stay close to the Mobula and thus be beaten up by the mines. In case the managed to get above, below or even around the Mobula, the weird harpoon physics would kick in and they were unable to really get a chance to do serious damage.

Since the new/current harpoon came out I wanted to get a ram Mobula going with one harpoon on the top and two Gatlings on the bottom deck. We have managed to fail hilariously way too often.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 01:40:49 am »
I got a large percentage of my "destroy parts on a harpooned ship" achievement with a harpoon/mine pyramidion.

Offline Megabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 02:43:01 pm »
I got a large percentage of my "destroy parts on a harpooned ship" achievement with a harpoon/mine pyramidion.

This, heroic deed.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »

This, heroic deed.

This heroic deed I have witnessed first hand from.the terrifying eyes of being the harpoon gunner, the day Sparkler took my harpoon virginity (the innuendos are countless) that was ages ago...

Offline SteamyNoodle

• Salutes: 17
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 05:59:26 pm »
Best thing to do, if your gunners can time it correctly, is to pop a loch mine behind them right before you connect with the poonshine ram.  You get the initial collision damage, the loch mine, and then a second collision from the mine throwing them back into the front of your ship.  I've instantly killed mobulas with it before :P.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 07:14:21 pm »
Best thing to do, if your gunners can time it correctly, is to pop a loch mine behind them right before you connect with the poonshine ram.  You get the initial collision damage, the loch mine, and then a second collision from the mine throwing them back into the front of your ship.  I've instantly killed mobulas with it before :P.

That is absolutely beautiful.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 10:26:29 pm »

I think Tix and I pioneered that technique.  So fun.  The trick is often to throw the mine between the hull and balloon - though that doesn't work for mobulas, obviously.