Author Topic: Padding out the friends list  (Read 11337 times)

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
Padding out the friends list
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:12 pm »
Heyo. Been playing the game for a while, and I've just about had it up to here with dealing with random parties. Yeah, it's a good way to make new friends and I totally have...but I'm sick of waiting in a lobby for 20 minutes so that I can fill out a PuG ship to take on the two-boat pre-made sitting across the color barrier.

In short, I want to be that pre-made.

So, who could use a moderately skilled and skillfully moderate gunner/pilot*/engineer? Shoot me a friend invite and let's take the skies by storm!

*Just a warning, getting on a ship I'm piloting is legally considered a suicide-pact.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Padding out the friends list
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
What's a pre-made?

Offline neboo

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »
Hi Eukari,

I know that feeling. I'm in the same boat as you. none of my friends play so I'm usually with a ship full of different people every time.

I'm on now so will add  if you want to team up?

neboo

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »
I think he's referring to what we call "stacked". And my suggestion to you, Eukari, is find a clan to join. Or, if you'd like, build your own.

Offline neboo

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:44 pm »
What's a pre-made?

think he means a full crew in group ready go... pre-made

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 05:22:57 pm »
I think he's referring to what we call "stacked". And my suggestion to you, Eukari, is find a clan to join. Or, if you'd like, build your own.

Odd hours and uneven play (I also play WoW) means that I likely don't have the temporal capital to spend on a clan. I'm mainly just looking to have enough friends that, whenever I can log on, there's at least one friendly face to rock with/die alongside.

neboo- Great! I'll make sure you're added when I get home.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:37:25 pm »
maybe you should look for a clan to join

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »
Starting out is hard but

Play with the same people regularly.

Friend the ones you enjoy playing with or team well with so their names stand out in lobbies, get notifications when they log in etc. You'll find you soon build up a pool of people you can play with, some of them also in clans, because lets face it the clans will be recruiting from the same pool of players that inhabit your time slot, and the clans don't hold a monopoly on training.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:11:02 pm by Calico Jack »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
Clans aren't just for competitive play, you know. The vast majority of the Ducks are just there to hang around and have fun in general matches. Same goes for other large clans like the Gents.

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »
Me: "Looking for some friends to play with."
Everyone: "You should join a clan!"
Me: "I'm really just looking for a few friends..."
Everyone: "You should join a clan!"
Me: "O-okay..."

;P

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:48 pm »
Eukari - friend them - they won't know but you'll just "spontaneously" turn up in every match they play :D

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:08 pm »
Just start adding people from the forums to your friends list on hop into their games. We tend to be a fairly reliable bunch. You're more than welcome on any ship I'm on.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:39 am »
+1 on what Jack has said.

After a while you'll get a good Social tab going, with Friends that play well and the idiots on your block list (they're also highlighted in match rosters so you can spot them).  If you play well yourself, you'll soon spot those who have friended you, because they'll keep popping up in your lobbies.

Friending the Forum Names is a good start, but they will expect you to know the basics - including having read and understood guides posted on the forum.  Please feel free to join me for a match, but do read Kyren's Junker guide thread first.. ;)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 06:12:32 am »
Friending the Forum Names is a good start, but they will expect you to know the basics - including having read and understood guides posted on the forum.  Please feel free to join me for a match, but do read Kyren's Junker guide thread first.. ;)

Sometimes I feel like I'm actually doing something here :D

On topic, though; adding people to your friends list you've had a good time with is really the best thing you can do. You'll soon end up getting Party and Match invites when you get online that way, because people will start recognizing you. If you see me online, feel free to join me as well - But I'll mostly be in Beginners Matches or organizing Training when I'm online. Still, those matches fill up rather quick and there are always some vocal crews and captains in there to enjoy a flight with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:15:47 am by Kyren »

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
Thanks folks. Yeah, I've always felt a little odd just friending random people I've played with...but I've been making sure to add people with whom I've been having fun.

And Pickle- I do read the guides. ;P