Author Topic: GoI:O on Playstation  (Read 40457 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: GoI:O on Playstation
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 07:44:31 pm »
Not so negligible as you'd think. Yeah they are a small fraction of the community but their behavior even for a brief time can make or break the experience for others. Now I thought I read somewhere that Guns will be on the PS+ program so it will be free to play. This is great and terrible at the same time. Get a potential huge player pool but also more players like this could and would load it up for shits n giggles, and of course finding ways to troll.

So say just 1% of the population is this mentality, that is still 2500 players too many. If each one trolls or is abusive in 5 matches a day, that does add up and there would be potential for him to affect 7 others each time. Granted their time here may be short but players scorned by these types of people do not come back easily. You can bet the lowbie matches would be filled with them. New players do not have the knowledge to look for high level matches and would quickly quit/uninstall when treated to this.

Going into AM and really building on the life of this game will be affected by these kinds of people. Now do we want it to be like Chivalry where every match there is a kick vote for TKing every few seconds, no. But we're going to need something so it will be detrimental for these sorts of players. Better to have them quit and go back to the cesspool where they spawned than for new players to quit. People are more often to report negative experiences to more people than they are positive. I've worked in theme parks and I'm very familiar with it.

CoD players have and will play this game. Lot of them are looking for something different to play. Remember the age of most of these players is young, they are growing up and desiring different play styles. Trouble is, their behavior has not changed. I've seen them in game already. They are around.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:46:16 pm by Gilder de Unfettered »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »
It won't be f2p. There you go, no need to worry about that.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:46 pm »
Not so negligible as you'd think. Yeah they are a small fraction of the community but their behavior even for a brief time can make or break the experience for others. Now I thought I read somewhere that Guns will be on the PS+ program so it will be free to play. This is great and terrible at the same time. Get a potential huge player pool but also more players like this could and would load it up for shits n giggles, and of course finding ways to troll.

So say just 1% of the population is this mentality, that is still 2500 players too many. If each one trolls or is abusive in 5 matches a day, that does add up and there would be potential for him to affect 7 others each time. Granted their time here may be short but players scorned by these types of people do not come back easily. You can bet the lowbie matches would be filled with them. New players do not have the knowledge to look for high level matches and would quickly quit/uninstall when treated to this.

Going into AM and really building on the life of this game will be affected by these kinds of people. Now do we want it to be like Chivalry where every match there is a kick vote for TKing every few seconds, no. But we're going to need something so it will be detrimental for these sorts of players. Better to have them quit and go back to the cesspool where they spawned than for new players to quit. People are more often to report negative experiences to more people than they are positive. I've worked in theme parks and I'm very familiar with it.

CoD players have and will play this game. Lot of them are looking for something different to play. Remember the age of most of these players is young, they are growing up and desiring different play styles. Trouble is, their behavior has not changed. I've seen them in game already. They are around.

Honestly, I'm excited to have new players, and I think everybody else will be too. If they start getting horrible, we'll handle them. Not before. If this is a problem, I don't know what to say.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 02:32:27 pm »
Well even though it won't be F2P, I can still agree quite a bit with Gilders sentiment. Better be prepared for a potentional threat than letting it catch us with our pants down. Even though your main console kiddies won't touch it, you're still gonna see a general increase in trolls and similar. It'll be interesting to see how much though.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »
More players > no new players.

Don't care how much you wanna whine about trolls, for a game like this to continue to grow and expand you'll just have to deal.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »
oh indeed, any increase is still a victory. That however doesn't mean we can't be better prepared for the bad apples of that new wave.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »
oh indeed, any increase is still a victory. That however doesn't mean we can't be better prepared for the bad apples of that new wave.
I mean, prepare how? Metaphorically pucker your butthole or....

Sorry, just don't get the point of the statement.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 05:08:12 pm »
Obviously, I can't go into detail about moderation things here, but there's a couple of things I feel we need to fix before opening up the PSN gates. Things that'll make us better prepared for the likely increase in "trouble" that happens when a game grows.

EDIT: and sorry, I probably wouldn't have needed to post here in the first place..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:26:47 pm by Sgt. Spoon »

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 08:00:27 pm »
As long as Muse keeps on doing a good job managing reports of inappropriate behaviour it will be fine.
Seriously, I've never met the same troll twice after reporting it. And I like to think that this is feature and not a coincidence... :P

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »
Steam on PS4, I have not kept up to date with all of this new console tech, but does that mean that I on my computer will be playing with some one on a console? As for the discussion about "CoD type players" entering our community, it is up to us CAs and the other good people in the community to do our best to stamp out foul behavior and show people how unacceptable that behavior is for this community. All hopeful thinking of course, we will have to see how things develop.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:46 am »
but does that mean that I on my computer will be playing with some one on a console?
Yes, it'll be totally cross-platform. From what I understand that was an important factor in choosing to go with PS4—the fact that it wouldn't be split into two separate games.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »

Yes, it'll be totally cross-platform. From what I understand that was an important factor in choosing to go with PS4—the fact that it wouldn't be split into two separate games.

Well, that means we should be seeing a much larger player base, and good thing Controllers do not have Keyboards to type in global. (Even though I would assume there will be a system so they can pull up a keyboard and type, just will be slow on a controller)

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2013, 03:51:05 am »
Well, that means we should be seeing a much larger player base, and good thing Controllers do not have Keyboards to type in global. (Even though I would assume there will be a system so they can pull up a keyboard and type, just will be slow on a controller)
They probably still have mics to shout over.

If I were to deny consoles this games, it would be for the reason that they are using controllers rather than mouse and keyboard and are unlikely to function properly within the context of the game. Their behavior is not limited to PS*, nor is it limited to Xbox*, quite frankly, we have idiots already and lets not forget that they already paid for this game, so whether the game is f2p or not has no effect either.

You guys are going through all the motions dota has went through and it ended with Valve making a mute system that doesn't really work (Well played!!) and a matchmaking system that has left the community in shambles. As such, I really think it is important that we seriously look at misbehavior (outside of the context of this thread) and start to look for ways to deal with it properly. It means that for each community problem we have, we look at the source of the problem and deal with that rather than that rager that went beserk as a result of it.

As mentioned in another thread, last weekend's shift of idiots has been the worst so far and my experience tells me it will only get worse and worse and worse until this game is unmanageable by Muse developers and full rage mode ensues. I'm not going to say that Muse is doing a bad job so far; as a matter of fact, I'd wish more developers were as involved with their community. But everyone has their limits and noone wants to put a team full time on policing the community.

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 03:32:29 pm »
If you want you could give me immunity from reports and I could sort out all your problems for you.

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »

I don't know if the PS4 will have it, but you can definitely connect a USB or Bluetooth keyboard to the PS3. I've done it before to type in MGO. I predict that most PS4 GOI players won't have a keyboard, but that won't stop determined troublemakers from either connecting their own or finding other ways to annoy us.

They probably still have mics to shout over.

There are a LOT of mics on PSN. I still remember the last time I was on there *shudders*