Author Topic: A poll on a well-known hat  (Read 38299 times)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
Re: A poll on a well-known hat
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:10 am »
Oh I was just poking fun at ourselves for getting annoyed of people wearing it, but eh..  heh

@Hamster, can't wait for that one to get popular with the youth of the future :P
It would be nice with some fancier military caps though

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
I love fedoras. Several years ago, I used to wear them all the time. Then I came to a realization: I looked like an idiot. There is a time for everything, and the time for the fedora is not all the time.

Times when it is acceptable to wear a felt fedora: You are in a suit or otherwise formally dressed. It is preferably raining, so you have an actual reason to be wearing the hat. Preferably you are old and your fedora was purchased in the 20's, back when people actually made decent hats. Most made today are crap. A good fedora should be able to be folded up completely and shoved in your back pocket when you walk in doors. When you head back outside, it should pop right back into shape.

There's a bit more flexibility if the hat is made out of straw and it's a very hot day. Kind of. Due to modern sensibilities, you'll still look somewhat silly, but at least the sun will be out of your eyes.

I'll leave you all with this link: http://putthison.com/post/365446401/hatsdouchesanddorks

PTO is a great site in general, I recommend it. But in general, if you want to wear a fedora, rock it. Wear it with shorts, tube socks and a tank top (Note: don't do this). Just don't be surprised if people think you lack any fashion sense.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:08 pm »
I like wearing a flat cap with a leather jacket and a silk, Indian patterned scarf tucked into my collar. And the logical part of my brain recently come to realise how weird that looked. But the other part thought it looked cool.
Sadly, the latter part is the one that chooses my outfits.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »
<--- This is only worn on top of a suit between fall and early spring.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
That explains why when I saw the Fedoras at Disneyland for the Indy ride they just looked like total crap.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 03:22:24 am »
entertaining article, pretty much hits the nail on the head though.

Luckily I never wore hats regularly (except for straw hat in summer) so I never made that mistake :D

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 03:25:05 am »
<almost always has a hat on :D

Changes every few years or whenever the current hat gets sweaty, smelly, and doesn't get clean even after washing :D

Longest use one was a Serenity hat from the movie. Won it on the movie site by helping promote the film online.

Offline Swizy

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 03:42:13 am »
you have about the same mentality with hats that I have with shoes, buy me about two pairs every year. Summer and Winter. And I wear them till they're dead.

also the serenity thing sounds awesome. Pls deliver pics of the hat ~~

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:00 am »
Just a simple black hat with a small Serenity logo on it. Held up rather well. Actually I can't seem to find any picts of it online to link. Maybe I should have left it in pristine condition and never worn it. Guessing it was just something made for the movie. But looks like you can get better hats made by the fans.

Oh I've had the same pair of shoes for about...hmmm...at least 5yrs now. Finally needed to shift the pair to the work shoes only duty and pull out another. Dark green Sketchers with water/stain resistant outsides. Kinda resemble hiking boots on the bottom. Found them up in WA on my first trip. Loved them so much I bought them when I got back home. Couldn't get the "wide" sizes down here in CA unfortunately but they hold up real well. Got at least another 2-4 boxes of them. Was a good sale. Probably last me a few decades depending on the use. Very much best shoes I've owned.

Worst shoes I've owned have been Avia's brand. Things feel all soft and nice at first but they fall apart in no time. Utter crap shoes.

Offline Swizy

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:21 am »
Whoa 5 years is quite a long while. That pair must've felt like slippers after that time  :D

Mostly I stick with skaterbrands like Vans, DC. Lately though I found a rather cheap pair of Lacoste shoes. looks almost like this:

Had them all summer long but they still look kinda nice. Porbably cause I walked around barfeet more then wearing shoes...
but now that autumn is coming around the corner I'm gonne need to buy me a nice new set of boots. I'm looking forward to buy me some lace up shoes like Frye James bootwear as I've heard they are durable and good looking. They could even survive two winters so the price would be worth it I guess. Thought I'm very picky with shoes since they need to keep on working for quite a while :P (5 years is too long mate ;D)

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:05 pm »
Well the insides got worn down pretty well. The outside still looked good. They hold together enough still, hence their moving to work shoe only duty.

Offline Jawjee

• Salutes: 111
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 06:13:04 pm »
Pffft...You guys have to learn something!

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »
Whoa 5 years is quite a long while. That pair must've felt like slippers after that time  :D

Mostly I stick with skaterbrands like Vans, DC. Lately though I found a rather cheap pair of Lacoste shoes. looks almost like this:

Had them all summer long but they still look kinda nice. Porbably cause I walked around barfeet more then wearing shoes...
but now that autumn is coming around the corner I'm gonne need to buy me a nice new set of boots. I'm looking forward to buy me some lace up shoes like Frye James bootwear as I've heard they are durable and good looking. They could even survive two winters so the price would be worth it I guess. Thought I'm very picky with shoes since they need to keep on working for quite a while :P (5 years is too long mate ;D)

Ermahgerd shoes.

Offline Jawjee

• Salutes: 111
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 06:30:27 pm »
I would rather see a Shako.

There are much better hats than the fedora for inclusion in a post apocalypse steampunk world. I believe that there needs to be more gold braid and eagle crests in this game.
Well then Hamster, I'll present you the Czapka, isn't it lovely?

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Pffft...You guys have to learn something!

It's whatshisface!