Author Topic: Feature Request: Eventlist  (Read 11556 times)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Feature Request: Eventlist
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:47 pm »
Ahoy!

Have a look at the following pictures:
Bigger Versions: Link, and Link

I'm, again, suggesting that we get an announcement board or other means to effectively and easily organize events ingame. No, the Steam groups aren't sufficient, no, the forum here isn't sufficient either - if you organize an event for a small group of players, such as the competitive scene that is active in the forum anyways, it'll be fine. If you organize anything where you want broad community participation, or where you want many players that don't get involved on Steam or in the forum to see it all you can do is post in the lobby. Whoever is in the lobby at that point might see it. Whoever is in matches will not see it.

Now we could expect every player to come to the Steam groups and the forum, but I wouldn't. We have many active, helpful and committed players ingame that like to spend their time there and would sooner not check the forum or a Steam group. If you look at total numbers, that's the majority of GoIO players. We need a way to announce and organize events with this majority - Teaching events would be the foremost profiteer of such a thing, tournaments could point players to the forum registration with a description of the event!

That GoIO brings out new features such as weapons and ships in a quick pace is great for getting older players back into the game and newer ones to have a look, but we have nothing ingame to get in touch with those players, we have nearly nothing to make sure they stay with GoIO ingame. I blame a lot of the drop outs we have on missing social features ingame. Yes, you don't get people to run GoIO again after half a year with a eventlist. But you get people who come in new to stay longer if they can sign up for a event and participate.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Eventlist
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »
Yes, you don't get people to run GoIO again after half a year with a eventlist. But you get people who come in new to stay longer if they can sign up for a event and participate.

Not only that - training will improve much more by finally organizing it, so it won't result in pure chaos. New players that don't only see when there will be dev matches or cogs or anything like that but can take a look when there's a training match will become better at playing, thus reducing rage for crewmates playing with those as well as their gameplay experience in a positive way.

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »
I like that. I would also like an ingame Twitter reader, where people can check out for example the changelog and such. The chat was filled with "what has changed" qustions right after the patch.

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:40 pm »
I like it.
I know server messages are already reported in there, but I'm assuming that you're talking about an event list that you can use to join games through.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:56:59 pm »
Not only that, Keyvias - people that aren't online by that time server announcements are happening can still see when what will happen. "When are the dev matches beginning?" might belong to the past, since you could adjust the time simply to your needs and everyone, doesn't matter if in a lobby, in a running match or still offline, can see what will be happening and when it will happen.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:30 pm »
I like it.
I know server messages are already reported in there, but I'm assuming that you're talking about an event list that you can use to join games through.

Or sign up, depending on how complex it is. In the best case event organisators could see who signed up (for Teaching matches - How many new players will there be, how many Teachers will we need?). Some place for a description of the event would be wonderful, too.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:12 pm »
Currently I'm posting in 3 places to advertise training sessions as well as asking Keyvias to help announce them through the server - we really need something central.

Offline Fade

• Salutes: 9
    • [S]
    • View Profile
    • Fade's youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
All for a centralized source of information.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
Maybe it could be positioned right above the credits, just as an equal box to the chat box? That way you wouldn't have to change notifications and still keep it clean and organized.
Just like that:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:15:44 pm by RainerZuFall »

Offline ClassyTitan

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • Classy Titan Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »
Great idea! Would love to see it implemented!

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:49:34 pm »
Along with the "easier to find training matches" idea, how about "pinned" matches? Or a filter list for Matches that can be marked as "important/event."

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:44 pm »
Along with the "easier to find training matches" idea, how about "pinned" matches? Or a filter list for Matches that can be marked as "important/event."

pinning isn't such a good idea given there won't be much space - take a look at the steam hub to see what I mean. What do you mean by importatnt events? Trial by Spire kind of thing?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:40 pm »

pinning isn't such a good idea given there won't be much space - take a look at the steam hub to see what I mean. What do you mean by importatnt events? Trial by Spire kind of thing?

I could see it as being really useful for Training Days, actually.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 12:19:53 am »

I could see it as being really useful for Training Days, actually.

If you're talking about pinning - my concern is when it gets to the point that there are multiple pages, people will only ever look at the first page. When you go to the steam hub, the first page you land on has announcements and active threads for the last 7 days - something static like a repeating event just becomes invisible, because it is never on the front page. Steam groups have pop ups but if people don't join they won't see those either.

Just this by itself isn't enough and there are plans in the works to have a dedicated space inside the game GUI for training info - but what is sorely missing is the ability to announce events in game on the day they are due to run - this seems to work quite nicely.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 02:22:22 pm »
I just meant something that puts important event matches either at the top of the match list, or a tag that lets you search/filter for them easier. But yes things like competitive matches, and training days could have this tag.