Author Topic: Ingame UI Suggestions  (Read 6043 times)

Offline dragbone

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Ingame UI Suggestions
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:05:22 am »
I've collected two suggestions concerning the ingame UI I'd like to share with you.

Improve visibility of friendly ships:
After nearly shooting down a friendly ship that was exactly in front of a spotted enemy ship (in a sand storm) I came to the conclusion that some kind of marking for friendly ships is necessary. This could be done the same way as enemy ships by spotting them or simply that they are always spotted. I suggest the same display style (marking the corners of the bounding box) in a different color (maybe green to cleary show that it's NOT the team color).

Improve visibility of destroyed parts:
As a gunner/engineer I rarely have time to look at the notifications/chat region to determine what machinery on the enemy ship is currently destroyed and what needs further attention from my gun 8) . I suggest red bounding box markers on destroyed enemy parts as long as the enemy ship is:
  • spotted
  • relativly close
  • (maybe recently hit?)

Further ideas / suggestions / changes / improvements are always welcome!

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Ingame UI Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:14:38 am »
I've collected two suggestions concerning the ingame UI I'd like to share with you.

After nearly shooting down a friendly ship that was exactly in front of a spotted enemy ship (in a sand storm) I came to the conclusion that some kind of marking for friendly ships is necessary. This could be done the same way as enemy ships by spotting them or simply that they are always spotted. I suggest the same display style (marking the corners of the bounding box) in a different color (maybe green to cleary show that it's NOT the team color).
1) There's no friendly fire, you can't shoot down your own teammate.
2) If you see a ship and you're not sure if it's friend or foe, try to spot them. If they don't get spotted (now with a ship name, too), then they're friends.

Improve visibility of destroyed parts:
As a gunner/engineer I rarely have time to look at the notifications/chat region to determine what machinery on the enemy ship is currently destroyed and what needs further attention from my gun 8) . I suggest red bounding box markers on destroyed enemy parts as long as the enemy ship is:
  • spotted
  • relativly close
  • (maybe recently hit?)

Further ideas / suggestions / changes / improvements are always welcome!
Look closely, there's actually pretty visible marking of what conditions components are in if you're paying attention. I mean yeah, if you're sniping through cloud across the map you won't be able to tell, but otherwise...

Offline dragbone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »
1) There's no friendly fire, you can't shoot down your own teammate.
2) If you see a ship and you're not sure if it's friend or foe, try to spot them. If they don't get spotted (now with a ship name, too), then they're friends.
Well, spotting is kind of buggy, it often doesn't trigger when clicking (maybe because the game thinks you shouldn't be able to see the ship?). Also it would enable one to distinguish between friend or foe without leaving the helm/gun.

Look closely, there's actually pretty visible marking of what conditions components are in if you're paying attention. I mean yeah, if you're sniping through cloud across the map you won't be able to tell, but otherwise...
Maybe it's because I play with graphical settings on medium but often it doesn't display the enemy guns at all.

I know that all information is available as it is now(that's why I suggested the changes as they are without introducing new information about enemy ships), but I'd like it to be easier/faster accessible.
Maybe it's just lazy me wanting these changes  ;)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:42:47 pm »
You should be able to see broken components on an enemy ship smoking. 

I know I personally wouldn't want the red box, I kind of like the sparse ui we have now as it makes the game more immersive.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:26:16 pm »
Spots on allies yes. Since the recent spot changes i would rly like that but clearer destroyed components? No thanks. I rly like how it is atm. I have to rly be aware of the enemy ship to see destroyed components. Its easy to see hits and thats all we need.

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »
Even as a new player, I definitely like the cleaner more immersive UI look. However, I do agree that an unsuccessful spot could either mean it's a friendly or an enemy that you're technically not supposed to be able to see.

I think a good compromise would be this: if you attempt to spot a ship and that ship is a friendly, then it will simply flash a team-color X on the ship for 2-3 seconds and then fade out. That way, you know for sure that it's a friendly and not an enemy that's in some technical hiding spot (even though you can clearly see it).

Offline Tai Fighter

• [AME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:28 pm »

If we can spot enemy ships, why can't we spot friendly ships? It would be really helpful to see where a friendly is when it is in my blind spot (particularly if it's at a different altitude, since the map overlay does not distinguish)

Similarly, can we get an option that always shows an enemy as the same color? something different from red/blue so that there are no miscommunications, e.g. option to always show friendly ships as green and enemy ships as purple regardless of what your team color is. So many times have i tried to engage a ship coming out of a cloud... when it was in fact a friendly ship.