Author Topic: Cornwall, motherf*ckers  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Cornwall, motherf*ckers
« on: August 18, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »
All of the past week I have been away from the civilised world of London and camping in the forgotten realm of Cornwall, shoved to the southernmost tip of Great Britain.

here is a map, for the convenience of those not familiar with English counties.

And, after having gone through this, I now feel enlightened, my mind filled with invaluable new knowledge such as: In Cornwall, it is not considered strange to have not one, not two, but three separate pasty shops next to each other.

Now that your mind has been fully blown, let me enlighten you more on this fascinating part of the world.

1) Apparently, the sea-side castle of Tintagel, at the top of a in-no-way too steep climb, is where King Arthur was allegedly conceived. The story is long, but the general upshot is that Uther Pendragon got his pal Merlin to disguise him as the husband of his desired lady and borderline rape her.

2) Cornwall has its own separatist movement and even its own flag, the flag of St. Piran

They wish to make Cornwall its own country, similar to Wales and Scotland in that it would still be part of the UK.

There's even a Cornish language, which I'd never heard of, and you probably haven't either. Good for you, because, like all Celtic languages, it consists of nothing but mother... fucking... consonants. Literally nothing but consonants, with the occasional vowel thrown in, sticking out like a sore thumb in the never ending ocean of consonants. Thankfully, no one gives a shit about that dead language, so its hardly ever used.
But in its heyday, its use stretched way over to Exeter, which is here...

...Whoa...

3) Cornwall is home to the world's first eco-surfboard... ... ... ... ... What on earth is an eco-surfboard, I have no idea?

4) It also proudly boasts the largest collection of plant species in the British Isles, so watch out for that, these guys don't fuck around when it comes to their flora.

But in all fairness, Cornwall did bring the world famous Cornish pasty to the world, which is something to be proud of by anyone's standards.
And the country is beautiful, with its rocky coasts and green fields, punctuated by the occasional sleepy village with interesting names (my personal favourite being "Boscastle", literally pronounced, Boss-castle).

But I would abandon all of this and flee back to the safety of London, for London, in all of its expanse, can give me a consistent internet connection.

God bless civilisation.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall, motherf*ckers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:25:04 pm »
How to imitate Welsh, Cornish, or any of those other silly ones:

1. Close your eyes.

2. Mash furiously at the keyboard.

3. Remove most of the vowels, and add spaces where appropriate.

Htufks jfbrod hfjfjs ovhdk socjfm ghgbj dksjcn.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:59 am »
Cornish Hens!  I use to have one, then I ate it.
Its a little odd that I've learned a good chunk of British geography from playing Crusader Kings 2, I even learned about its independence faction from being curious why it was an independent faction in the games play through. 

So I guess Parliaments proposal to get highspeed internet to all the lesser populated areas is a bust?

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:32:44 am »
This kind of tourist guides I would gladly read more. xD
Job well done, Gryphos.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:59:54 am »
So I guess Parliaments proposal to get highspeed internet to all the lesser populated areas is a bust?
I don't think that was ever on the table, unlike in sensible Germany, where underground tube stations are required by law to put it in place.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
Thanks, now you are making me hungry for Cornish Pasties. There are one or two places in San Diego you can buy Cornish pasties and neither are close to where I work and live.