Author Topic: View player loadouts  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Puggerugger

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
View player loadouts
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:28:29 pm »
You know how when In a lobby you can click on a ship's name and view it's loadout? I think there should be something like that for player loadouts. Basically below every players name in the lobby and TAB menu in game it has all the symbols of the piloting, engineering and ammo they have equipped. It would be a lot easier to work out the strategy of the pilot, your (co) engineer(s) and your gunner(s) especially when they don't communicate. The amount of times I've said "Hey <Other engie> do you have a a buff hammer" to find out if I will need a buff hammer and to be met with no response is countless. Especially annoying when people confuse the mallet with the hammer. And it would be easier to help out inexperienced players who are too shy to ask for help.

As for who's loadout you can see, I think you should be able to see your enemies as well as your teams. I appreciate it may sound unfair and ruin surprising tactics but half the time people on a full ship would quickly switch to another ship to see what loadout their team is using then change back. Giving the latter team a disadvantage. Knowing the system would be abused like that if you couldn't see your enemies loadout it seems fairest to make it possible to see our enemies loadout.

Offline Seamus S

• View Profile
Re: View player loadouts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:26 pm »
This would be super helpful. I salute you, Sir.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:41:00 am »
"Hey!  Captain, that Galleon on the opposing team has two buffing engineers and no one on board has Heavy Clip for the four Hwachas they have equipped.  How about we target that ship specifically for some easy points?"

Sorry, sounds like a bad idea.  Good in principal, but likely to work against you rather than for you.  And you can't restrict it for crew/Captain to see, because swapping between ships would allow you a sneak peak.

I'd rather see the proposed Ship Lobby make an appearance as quickly as possible.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:08:41 am »
I'd like to see an option to view a player profile of other players in the lobby. Like seeing their outfit and maybe a small configurable history of the player or a briefly description of the character. This might help engage RP even more.

To the post: I wouldn't like enemies to see my loadout. Also I wouldn't like to see my enemies loadout. Some secrets are meant to kept secret.

Offline Puggerugger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:55:40 am »
"Hey!  Captain, that Galleon on the opposing team has two buffing engineers and no one on board has Heavy Clip for the four Hwachas they have equipped.  How about we target that ship specifically for some easy points?"

Sorry, sounds like a bad idea.  Good in principal, but likely to work against you rather than for you.  And you can't restrict it for crew/Captain to see, because swapping between ships would allow you a sneak peak.

I'd rather see the proposed Ship Lobby make an appearance as quickly as possible.

Yes but imagine there are two teams, one is full and the other is not. Somebody from team A goes over to team B, takes note of team B's loadouts and returns to his team. "Yeah, pretty normal stuff, heavy clip for the gatling guns on that pyrad... oh but they got incendiary rounds, so be ready for that. Also don't get to close the the goldfish's starboard because their engineers have lesmok for the flamer. One guy on the pyrad has a buff so I assume he will go upstairs." So team A now has a general idea of team B's strategy but team B is left in the the dark about team A's. If this game is going to have a see your teams loadout feature you will need to see your enemies to keep it fair, because we all know above scenario would happen.

I'm not proposing this idea for the sake of helping the enemy but helping crews. In the scenario you mentioned, this system would allow for one engie to think "It's probably best if I just got a mallet and spanner since he'll do the buffing." Even if the other engie doesn't communicate. Or for a captain to say "One of you two are going to need to change your loadout, two buffs really aren't needed. Also all of you get some heavy clip, and gunner if you could please get burst rounds for when we're close that would be great, thanks." Because as I said, it will help experienced players teach people who either don't know that their strategy isn't going to work on account of being inexperienced or are too shy to ask. Because someone on their team, or God forbid a kind enemy who doesn't want an easy fight, will hopefully correct them and they learn and they are now better. This in turn is easier learning than embarrassing scenarios later when said new players has there entire team yelling at them.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »
Maybe if it was only an option for those in the Captain slot.

While, yes, one of your crew could jump over to a fully-crewed but un-captained ship and see their loadouts, those loadouts would most likely change as soon as someone comes in and organizes them to his ship, which, in turn, locks out anyone else from seeing equipment.

Captains are usually the ones requesting equipment and rounds anyway.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »
Stubborn/non-communicative players will still exist.  It isn't really going to solve the problem.  If players were that thoughtful I wouldn't ever get 2 or 3 gunners as a result of mid-game joiners.  But I do.  Regularly.  Figure them as either stupid, wilfully ignorant, just-don't-cares or trolls - nothing is going to fix that problem pre- or mid-match.

Offline Seamus S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:51 pm »
You can already see ship loadouts from other teams. I don't see how this would be much worse. It would also help speed up teams getting ready AND would really help people who come into a match not long before it starts.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:18:39 am »
Well it wouldn't help me ready up earlier, I still will tell my crew what to pick and I still will ask them if the got it. If they have chosen it but don't answer me I'm still not ready.
Getting quick into a match no matter what isn't the goal to achieve I think.