Author Topic: more diverse mines  (Read 11286 times)

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
more diverse mines
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:31:23 am »
i think the mine launcher needs some love

having the different ammo types effect the mines more drasticly would make this weapon so much more fun to use

for example, having inciendary rounds cause the mine to not deal any explosive damage but instead apply a bunch of fire stacks to everything in its aoe radius.

or having burst rounds deal much less explosive but more shatter

heavy rounds could make the mine slowly decend once its deployed and greased could do something like deploy a tar barrel cloud when its bumped in to or shot

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: more diverse mines
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:37:15 am »
You know these are actually really good ideas, like a Lochnagar mine could decrease mine count but pack much more of a punch the normal.

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:42:38 am »
lol they allready pack a pretty massive punch, if a ship hits 2 of them at once they are basicly turned to dust.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:45:10 am »
That they are! Maybe heatsink could make them less effective against Allies, mitigating friendly fire but also lowering overall damage.

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:47:54 am »
lol it would be awsome if you could fire a heatsink mine then run in to it, and have it burst in to a cloud of chemspray that covers the ship,  could double over as a way to artificialy create clouds to block sight but not have negative effects like the tar does

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:00 am »
"Sir our ally is mining ahead of us!"

"The fools what are they thinking?!"

"Well according to them they were on fire and needed to extinguish themselves."

"Oh, carry on."

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:55 am »
well i suppose updating the model for different mine types would have to be done

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:55:27 am »
maybe different balloon coloring.

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:58:08 am »
that would help but i was thinking more of the mine its self being different, like if the heatsink mine did do something like a chem spray have it resemble a big chemspray container instead of the normal mine

and the incindiary one could look like some kind of floating petrol bomb

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00:52 am »
I can see how that be a thing.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:28:56 am »
The only problem I really see with this is that's not how the ammo works. I would involve writing an entirely new set of rules for ammo just for the mine launcher. I think some of the ideas might just work (incendiary maybe?) but the effects are a bit more subtle than you want.

Adding different kinds of mines (*cough* skytorpedo *cough*) could be cool to see though, and might be able to better realize your ideas!
Additionally I doubt the chem-spray mine will happen unless guns can add negative fire stacks. (Cue everyone shooting chemwachas at allies).

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
I first read that as:

"Cue everyone shooting Chewbaccas at allies"

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
The only problem I really see with this is that's not how the ammo works. I would involve writing an entirely new set of rules for ammo just for the mine launcher. I think some of the ideas might just work (incendiary maybe?) but the effects are a bit more subtle than you want.

Adding different kinds of mines (*cough* skytorpedo *cough*) could be cool to see though, and might be able to better realize your ideas!
Additionally I doubt the chem-spray mine will happen unless guns can add negative fire stacks. (Cue everyone shooting chemwachas at allies).

As he already said, they do apply. A lochnagar mine launcher for example is now able to shoot only one round that deals massive damage upon hit. I'd like to see them having a bit more effect too, though!

I'd really like to see a flying torpedo too, this would be quite a nice idea. But first we should wait for the heavy flak to be changed before talking about that to avoid similarities.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:35:18 am by RainerZuFall »

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:14 am »
I believe incendiary mines already always set ships that hit them on fire and they add 1 to 7 fire stacks to random components. (Had Spud Nick run into the mines I placed from his Mines of Mortar a few times  :P)

Besides the ammo for minelaunchers is already diverse enough. Not only do the different ammo types to lay mines on different distances (which I believe is the primary purpose to have different ammo types on mine launchers) but I love seeing enemy ships running into my mines and imagining wether they should ready their fire extinguishers against incendiary mines, their spanner against charged mines or prepare to have long ways to walk against burst mines or do their last prayer against loch mines.
Not having specific looks for the different mine types gives it a little mario cart feel.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:01 pm »
Mines do provide chance to ignite already. Normally you'll get about 2 components or so ignited with 5 stacks of fire. Incendiary I've noticed does add to this.

Yeah if you want to really do some fun stuff with mines then I refer to my Sky Torpedo posts. That is literally a huge propelled mine.

The ammo and usage of mines is fine as is. You don't really want to mess with them. I'd personally like them to return to the dmg levels they had in dev app before release but you would be seeing ships wreaked much quicker.

Lot of people have a concept of mines being defensive weapons only. Backs of squids or galleons being prime locations. I thought that as well until I played around with Munkers, initially just for fun. Mines are domination weapons. All you need is 1, 2 is better, and you can keep an enemy team locked down. I've outlasted 3 v 1 engagements because my miners placed the mines perfectly and we locked down all 3 ships. The amount of dmg being spread around was enough to force them off their attack and buy my allies time to come back in. When they did, they had easy times cleaning up the crippled ships.

Mines however, don't have a ton of killing power. It takes a few to be able to crack hulls. Which is why you need your ally to be able to kill for you.