Author Topic: Echidna, Light Flak Discussion.  (Read 8443 times)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Echidna, Light Flak Discussion.
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:00 pm »
50% drops it to 8 ammo, which aren't enough to cause both armor and hull pressure at once, but is still enough to kill a Pyra within a clip if you land all rounds.

That's still a replacement for light flak, which is the very issue we want to fix.

I think that the light flak itself should be looked at, since there's clearly an issue there.

That's from the Lesmok 1.3.1 thread and it's also me freely creating an other weapon discussion thread.

So, how to fix? Does it need fixing?

What do we want the Light Flak to do that the Mortar won't be able to accomplish?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Echidna, Light Flak Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
I see the flak as the more precise/less dps and more shock damage, much like its larger next of kin. The mortar is less accurate (so shorter range to be most effective) but able to put out a lot of dps, and basically bombard them to dust, much as it has always done.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
So basically make the Mortar ineffective at range to encourage usage of the Light Flak?

Reduce the Light Flak's Jitter by a lot? Increase jitter on Mortar? If the Light Flak was more accurate like it's older bro, the Heavy Flak, would it be used more?

To answer my question, I think yes personaly, but you would have to make the Mortar extremely innaffective at range for anyone to consider the Light Flak again.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »
The thing is, while the light flak is supposed to excel at mid-long, it's not able to kill at those distances anymore due to the clip size reduction from heavy. So while the mortar should definitely be looked at (I.e. Reversing the 1.3.1 changes to lesmok), the light flak should also get a boost to let it kill stuff from afar.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
The light flack has a wider lateral turn limit than the mortar, it is possible to trifecta or squid difecta with the flack where it is not as possible with the mortar. That makes the light flack have the higher potential DPS since it can be fired simultaneously with more guns.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:05:45 pm »
the only way i see the light flack becoming usefull again is to increase its accuracy and maybe a very slight range increase so its not dependant on heavy clip to land shots, ofcorse the balance being that the mortar at close range would still be abel to put out more damage

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »
the light flak should also get a boost to let it kill stuff from afar.

I don't think it needs to be able to kill stuff in one clip no matter the circumstances. Less dps but more accurate. You gain the benefit of range, but itll take longer to kill something. With mortar, it's possible to kill something with one clip, but with less accuracy, there is a good chance you miss that chance, especially if the enemy escapes or out-flies you.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »
I use flak over mortar when its a finishing weapon. A flamer on the front of a Squid to cause chaos and take down armor, then a quick turn for the flak to empty its clip. This sometimes is a one clip kill. I'll use it on my Blenderfish as well worth the same strategy.

I use both, but with completely different tactics. I like the Flak, but I use it as a generally short range weapon while I use the mortar as medium range.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:33 am »
I think that the flak should have more range than the mortar. The mortar should be a high damage close range weapon like the carronade.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:54 am »
I think that the flak should have more range than the mortar. The mortar should be a high damage close range weapon like the carronade.

I think it has better consistency at those longer ranges since it's easier to hit and aim with, it just can't deal as much damage as a mortar with a good gunner. But I use Flak because of its small clip size. I want that gun to empty its clip in a couple of seconds so I can get back to using my front gun and so the Engineer using it can jump off and resume repairs.