Author Topic: Tutorials NOT optional  (Read 19043 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorials NOT optional
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:09 am »
I'm pretty sure Muse already gives people a hat for logging on at this point. They get the reward of less people yelling at them.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:55 am »
You know you already get a free hat for completing all the Tutorial achievements (which requires some time in Sandbox), right?

No?

Well, we are working on making those a little more obvious. And we're also definitely working on deepening the scripted tutorial content.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:00 am »
You know you already get a free hat for completing all the Tutorial achievements (which requires some time in Sandbox), right?

No?

Well, we are working on making those a little more obvious. And we're also definitely working on deepening the scripted tutorial content.

Yay!

Give us more hats plz?

... okay in all seriousness, more tutorials are better. Thanks.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
Wait what? Tutorial has HATS?

Goddamnit, now I need to go back and see if I need to do them >_<

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:32 pm »
DAMN IT JESS!! If you need me I'll probably be doing the tutorial........

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »
First thing I did when I downloaded the game a few weeks ago was take all the tutorials. While it did clarify some things, it wasn't nearly as in-depth as I was expecting it to be.

Still, the hat was nice :)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
it worked out quite well for me too - I already had the hat you get for the tutorials so I got to choose another one.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 07:37:58 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of players who jumped straight into the game without checking the tutorials. However, the tutorial teaches so little that the gap between new players and completely new players is huge. I had to be informed by another player that damage types are more effective against certain parts of the ship than others. I had to come to the site to actually check the numbers. I also had to figure out that I could change the weaponry on my ship. And at the same time that the default loadouts were really bad. I had to learn ammo types from other players, what to repair, tricks on buffing, tricks with reloading, actually combat flight, the list goes on and on and on. The gap between tutorial and common knowledge is just too big.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:13 am »
[...] I had to be informed by another player that damage types are more effective against certain parts of the ship than others. I had to come to the site to actually check the numbers. I also had to figure out that I could change the weaponry on my ship. And at the same time that the default loadouts were really bad. I had to learn ammo types from other players, what to repair, tricks on buffing, tricks with reloading, actually combat flight, the list goes on and on and on. The gap between tutorial and common knowledge is just too big.

A big problem is that almost no one takes a look into the game manual. "Manual? Sounds boring." Although there's so much effort and detail put in it - I haven't seen that in any other game before. But it's viable to take a look, otherwise, as QKO pointed out, you miss on a whole lot of stuff.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »
We're going to have a better new player flow.  It's difficult for us to have a tutorial because we don't have a single player mode.  Playing online with a game like Star Craft is terrible because people are just going to destroy you.  We don't have enough players to do fully automated matchmaking and ranking either, so it doesn't help.

However, with more comprehensive tutorials (and user flow that encourages going to them) and beginner related matches (example ship and player loadouts, maps, etc... for beginner only matches) we can hopefully teach more.

I hate mandatory tutorials myself because it's so hand holdy.  Only a small collection of games introduce mechanics slowly enough to make tutorials fluid.  We don't have that opportunity because, again, we are multiplayer competitive.  Derp derp derp.