Author Topic: Tutorials NOT optional  (Read 19111 times)

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Tutorials NOT optional
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:01 pm »
Alright, my friend just got done with a game and a player on the ship he was with had no idea what was going on because he was new to the game like a lot of people. My friend tried to tell him what to do, but he himself was busy trying to battle the other enemy ship so he could not baby sit and teach the new person. After the game he messaged me, "How are these people not knowing how to play? There is a tutorial, can you yell at the devs to make it mandatory to do the tutorials before they play?"

And that is the suggestion here, make it so new players have to do a tutorial before jumping in their first game. I personally think this may be a bit overkill, and all we need to do is have a way to inform people who are entering the game for their first that that it is highly recommended to do the tutorials before entering a game.

What do you guys think?

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorials NOT optional
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »
At the moment, we first need the tutorial to cover all the areas that there are.
I don't think it's a good idea to make them obligatory - try to "lure" players into them by granting them a hat or an item generally and maybe level 2 in the class they completed the tutorial at.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »
I like it. Free hat, say a "Graduate of the Sands" graduation hat, complete with steampunk tassels.

Anyways, I haven't played the tutorial recently, but when I did, it was at the state of:

Gunner: This is a gun. Press E to get on a gun. Now shoot the gun! GOOD JOB!"
Engie: This is a component. Click to repair this component. GOOD JOB!"
Pilot: This is the helm. Press E to get on the helm! Now, move to this box! GREAT JOB!"

Is that still where we are?

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »
I like it. Free hat, say a "Graduate of the Sands" graduation hat, complete with steampunk tassels.

Anyways, I haven't played the tutorial recently, but when I did, it was at the state of:

Gunner: This is a gun. Press E to get on a gun. Now shoot the gun! GOOD JOB!"
Engie: This is a component. Click to repair this component. GOOD JOB!"
Pilot: This is the helm. Press E to get on the helm! Now, move to this box! GREAT JOB!"

Is that still where we are?

No, it's a lot better, but still not cover a lots of stuff. But I agree on making it mandatory for new players. This is not a simple one man army FPS to just jump in and play. And the unqualified players will become quitters.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
I would totally do the tutorials again for a free hat.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:19 pm »
I'm with Smollett, even if I don't need to do them I'd do it for the hat.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »
Agreed, especially since they are so quick and simple it should be mandatory to learn those basics.
Also,

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:16:09 pm »
Normally I'd be against a mandatory tutorial, but since a player who has no clue what to do doesn't just harm himself, but also his team, I think mandatory would be fine.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:00:23 am »
I'm with Smollett, even if I don't need to do them I'd do it for the hat.

the ghost of TF2 is stalking the halls claiming victims :D

Perhaps include a tutorial on what happens to the souls of captains who abandon their crews mid match.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:02:26 am »
You mean eternal shame and damnation? Or having to sit through many hours of Qwerty talking about anime?

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:14:09 am »
Or having to sit through many hours of Qwerty talking about anime?

combined with having their ingame characters  forced to display anime emotes  [T .T]  [#-_-]  [^o^]

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:38 am »
You could have a giant "NEWBIE" label stuck onto anyone who doesn't complete the tutorial. Maybe force their clantag to say n00b until they do.

That started as a joke, but now I like it.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:52 am »
You could have a giant "NEWBIE" label stuck onto anyone who doesn't complete the tutorial. Maybe force their clantag to say n00b until they do.

Ok I lolled.

Or have the GoI equivalent of the Windows paperclip cheerfully pop up every time they try to do something they haven't done a tute for

"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to walk, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to jump, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to shoot a gun, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper ......"

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:07 am »
I mean, I've always been a fan of "Pre" type games where at first you had to do a tutorial before actually trying to play a potentially complex game. I haven't done the tutorials myself (did the pilot one when they first came out and lol'ed) but I imagine it can't hurt to force it. The biggest point I've seen is that, people will leave if they just don't get it, so surely a short forced tutorial wouldn't induce rage to that equivalent.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:41 am »

Ok I lolled.

Or have the GoI equivalent of the Windows paperclip cheerfully pop up every time they try to do something they haven't done a tute for

"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to walk, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to jump, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper I'm Puffy the GoI skywhale I see you want to shoot a gun, would you like some help with that?"
"Ahoy there Skipper ......"

This made me laugh so hard.

Well, maybe you're right. Force players to complete the tutorials won't produce more rage than having a whole crew because someone didn't complete their tutorials...
My idea just was to force them indirectly by granting them stuff, so they want to do it themselves willingly with a smile in their face and a hat on their head.