Author Topic: Lag.  (Read 15549 times)

Offline Scary Moose

• Salutes: 0
    • [DOPE]
    • View Profile
Lag.
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:53 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else with a good ISP and good download and upload speed is getting absolutely crippling lag? It's making the game totally unplayable. Also, would anyone mind explaining to me who hosts the games? Muse? Players? Steam?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Re: Lag.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:04 pm »
Steam, and usually no issues unless a lot of new players log in at once.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:36:01 am »
There are two types of lag, FPS and ping (latency). Do you know which you have?

Assuming it's ping, which is what it sounds like, pay attention to which location the lobby you are playing on is in. Eg, don't join a lobby in Europe if you live in the USA, etc. You can also press ~ in game to see more stats. If the problem persists I would advise you to shoot an email to feedback (at) musegames.com, including average ping and fps, as well as the server location and the host IP, you can see all that with ~.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:24:32 am »
Strange because sometimes I have better times on the EU servers than I do US. Really varies a lot. Don't think there is any way to really anticipate it. Servers have issues, thats just it.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:59 am »
Might be all the new players in the server, who knows.

Offline Lyderies

• [CHG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:38 am »
Im in the same boat as you, i seem to be having high round trip delay or packet loss lag...

I have tried the America server and Oceania games (live in Newzealand)

It is making it extremely anti fun to play at the moment and stressful,

if there is any data i can help give for a solution i will happily hand it over

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:34:11 am »
Talking of which - DEVs can we have a dev match on an Aisan server for Asia/Oceania players please?

Offline Scary Moose

• [DOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
My FPS is absolutely fine, I have everything set to "high" and no frame rate drops. I've found the server location makes absolutely no difference on this matter, as people on different continents are all getting an equal amount of lag when I ask the other players. I think some more dedicated servers needed to be put in place as there has been a massive influx of players since the Yogscast followers all descended on it.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »
Yeah, this rubber banding lag happens to all of us. The only viable fix sounds like new servers, but I can only imagine how pricy those are, not to mention the headache that will be caused during the transfer. I'm sure Muse knows how to fix it, they just don't have the resources/time.... This is only my guess though.

Offline Lyderies

• [CHG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:07 pm »
Yeah, this rubber banding lag happens to all of us. The only viable fix sounds like new servers, but I can only imagine how pricy those are, not to mention the headache that will be caused during the transfer. I'm sure Muse knows how to fix it, they just don't have the resources/time.... This is only my guess though.

Would it not make more sense to upgrade the servers so more people don't have a first negative experience? They stay longer, put more money into the game, making it an overall good idea?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:10:46 pm »
Muse did a lot for the server situation after the dark days in May where we had over 2000+ people on at times and devs + CAs were manually starting matches for players. Other day we had over 600+ on and I saw no lag. Was impressed.

They can only do so much. Sometimes there are issues on the server's end, which is why they ask you to send them the IP of the server being played on. Then also just issues on the route. Then ISP related problems on top of that. Best thing you can do is really isolate it down to where the problem is. If you can get the server IP, run a traceroute. Will show you if there is problems and where.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »
Gilder, let us not forget the release on which Conrad the Rad stormed the flooded Muse building, took their server, and made it back to bubble's apartment.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 08:33:07 am »
It's because the DDoS attacks.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 09:46:50 am »
From what I know, it wasn't actually the ddos. It's the 3rd party server hosting company that has issues with their ddos filtering system that doesn't seem to work correctly. At least the last 48 hours that is, that wasn't ddos it was just a weird filtering system.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:18 am »
Also, would anyone mind explaining to me who hosts the games? Muse? Players? Steam?

Games are hosted by dedicated servers that we maintain, rented from a hosting company that provides the connection and hardware.  The server region of a lobby (Americas, Europe, Asia, Oceania) determines which datacenter the match will be hosted from.