Author Topic: New names under spots  (Read 27666 times)

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: New names under spots
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 06:38:21 am »
I hate to agree but names should only be visible on the map (where they are really needed for allies too), no more hud junk please.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 07:14:57 am »
When I saw this in the Dev app I suggested that it  be made visible through the spy glass alone.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 08:56:43 am »
I also think this has at most a minor effect on game play, but I do hate the UI clutter. Plus there was a certain charm to the moment of panic when, playing two of the same ship, you had to figure out which was more damaged.

I'll live with the changes, but I sort of honestly feel that more UI = terrible for this game. I like the compass and map, I don't think you should ever need more than that to play effectively. Minor cosmetic changes to ships would be pretty cool. Faction banners or something. Then you could call out targets based on that. I just think the name makes it feel less organic and authentic, rather than being a significant factor in balance.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:52:00 pm »
This is a change that serves to help new players. This game has a learning curve that, while not that bad, could use some help. Not having the name adds a tiny bit of depth in the situation of two ships of the same class, but it's not huge. The clean UI concerns I understand a little more, and an option to toggle the names wouldn't go unappreciated, but is it really worth all this commotion? In a more authentic setting, the name would be plastered onto the side of the ship anyways.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »
Solution - Plaster ship names on the side

Now how cool would that be

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:12 pm »
I like the idea of only being able to see the names through the spyglass and map, really. The names don't bother me at all, but I can see the different reasons one wouldn't want them up there.

If they were to go away in the next patch, I'd have no problems. If they were to stay, that'd be fine. A word or two under already unrealistic square boxes really in no way affects the game for me.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »
This is a change that serves to help new players.

Great. Then make it an option, or as other's have said which I also like, only on the map and/or through the spyglass.

Also, I wouldn't know the name of a ship with it's name on the side unless I had line-of-sight on that particular point, with which I'd then have to remember which is which. Who doesn't want customization though?

I'm on the side of the UI clutter to be clear. It was a zero issue before to communicate different targets to your allies, even if they are the same ships. This reminds me of when people wanted the goldfish to be a different color because it was somehow hard to tell if it was on red team or not.

And yes it is worth some attention, because if nothing was said, it would be assumed we all loved more UI shapes and letters to be on the otherwise nice screen. If we plan to add this stuff for new players, then it would be great if it were an option, or as said earlier, scaled back to only on maps and/or through spyglass.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:34 pm »
This is a change that serves to help new players.

Great. Then make it an option, or as other's have said which I also like, only on the map and/or through the spyglass.
Or only in beginner matches... So the beginners can get used to recognizing the ships etc. before they move on to the "real game" where it's not so dumbed down. Or an option when creating a match. A per-player option would help the clutter aspect but wouldn't help the dumbing-down one. I expect people in clans would turn it off in normal matches to reduce the clutter but turn it back on in competitive matches where it may give them a slight edge.

Also, I wouldn't know the name of a ship with it's name on the side unless I had line-of-sight on that particular point, with which I'd then have to remember which is which. Who doesn't want customization though?
Which is why this magic ID system is unrealistic. Real ship names visible on the physical ships was something I suggested during the "testing", but an argument given against that would be that the text would have to be huge to be readable. There are places on all the ships where big enough writing would fit, and that would increase realism and immersion, rather than the current decreasing. It being hard to read writing through a spyglass also goes to show that identifying ships at a distance shouldn't be as easy as it currently is.

I'm on the side of the UI clutter to be clear. It was a zero issue before to communicate different targets to your allies, even if they are the same ships. This reminds me of when people wanted the goldfish to be a different color because it was somehow hard to tell if it was on red team or not.

But it wasn't a zero issue for everyone. It separated the better crews/teams from the less good ones. But now that is lost. No question which ship your allied captain is talking about going for. No question about which ship your captain is telling you to shoot. No question about what that ship behind the rock/in the clouds is. No question whether that pyra in the distance is the one with mercs or the one with flamers... I'd call that a loss of depth, and catering to new/poor players at the expense of the skill ceiling... Dumbing down.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:35 pm »
Well you have to realize that this isn't just the experienced player's game. I mean, we roughly agree it seems. I guess we don't on the solutions? This is only an issue when you have multiples of the same ship, otherwise you call "shoot the galleon" or "engage the junker."

I'm just looking for a middle ground. If someone wants to clutter their UI with ship names because they can't remember which ship is which, then let them. You could try to argue the tutorials are out to dumb down the game too, as for the longest time we didn't have them. But really its just another way to help people into the game and stay. I just don't want them on my screen, as I have no need. Kinda like music? I enjoyed it, but it got repetitive, so I turned it off.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:17:42 pm »
I'm torn between things. I like being able to identify problem ships when people take multiple ships of the same design, but I also kinda like the element of surprise of my enemy not knowing which one I am in the same situation. But it does make sense. If we could paint the names of our boats on our hulls, we probably would. Thus they could see which ship is which anyways.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
Agreed. But only if you're close enough to see it or are using a Spyglass and you're facing the side it's painted on. Right now the nametag kind of yells in your face.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:13 pm »
I'm torn between things. I like being able to identify problem ships when people take multiple ships of the same design, but I also kinda like the element of surprise of my enemy not knowing which one I am in the same situation. But it does make sense. If we could paint the names of our boats on our hulls, we probably would. Thus they could see which ship is which anyways.

tbh you recognise the ships by the way they are being piloted after the first engagement, names does make it easier to make sure everyone knows what ship is being targeted etc

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:27 pm »
i think getting rid of spotting all together would be more fun, but thats just me.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:38 pm »
I'm a bit annoyed about how the names appear in spectator mode too. Isn't that a bit redundant since they're already on the health bars?

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
i think getting rid of spotting all together would be more fun, but thats just me.
That would make things interesting, just do away with the spyglass altogether.