Author Topic: Greased Rounds -- can we make this a little more . . . realistic?  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Before you link or quote the "Authenticity vs. Realism" thread (which I've read), hear me out . . .

The Greased Rounds' main feature is a higher rate of fire. The clip was made larger so it didn't just run out suddenly, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the decreased damage and projectile speed (I mean, we're using the same rounds, just greased, right?) and the decreased turn speed (how would the rounds have any effect on the turning rate of the gun?).

Personally, to make this more believable, I'd completely drop the previous three debuffs and then increase the jitter (faster rate of fire = less control over the gun) and increase the reload time (the gun needs to cool down before you load another clip, and larger clips are just heavier). This would give the greased rounds the purpose of unloading an entire clip as fast as possible into an enemy for a moment of very high dps, but at the price of decreased accuracy (most effective at short range) and a long reload time (ultimately to where the overall dps is exactly the same as normal ammo).

There are other ammo types that teeter on or are past the edge of my willing suspension of disbelief, but I figured I'd just tackle them one at a time, starting with the worst first.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Greased Rounds -- can we make this a little more . . . realistic?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:08:41 pm »
Hey Kharthynogus, it's always nice to see new ideas on the forums!

I suppose you've got a bit of a point, but...

After hearing you out, I am going to refer you to the authenticity vs realism debate.
Muse works pretty hard to keep the guns balanced, and having greased rounds serve in the roll they do is more important than the rounds behaving as if they were actually greased. Remember this is a fantasy world, not an extension of reality. If you are willing to accept the complete re-writing of physics to allow the boats to fly in the first place (these ships and the way they fly are pretty much entirely impossible) then why not accept that the ammo types are just interesting names for certain functions?

Muse is more concerned about making the game fun than they are trying to keep it real. I'm no munitions expert, but I think heatsink clip would actually raise the rate of fire on some weapon (like the gat) by keeping the barrels cooler. Point being, it's sort of pointless to attempt to apply physics or realism to anything in the game. The two questions that need to be asked are: 1) Is it fun? and 2) Is it balanced?

(Honestly, if it were realistic, long range weapons would be the be all end all, and once your balloon was out, it'd be all she wrote. I'd worry less about realism, and from a gameplay perspective, I think greased plays a very important and distinct role.)

Offline Captain Vimes

• Salutes: 1
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Greased Rounds -- can we make this a little more . . . realistic?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:48:31 pm »
This is the post that goes into what Plasma is talking about, btw.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,572.0.html