Author Topic: Typhon, Heavy Flak Discussion.  (Read 69123 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
Re: Typhon, Heavy Flak Discussion.
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:03 pm »
"Increasing it's stability towards lateral and vertical movement, so shots aren't affected that much by movement anymore, would prevent overexcessive use of lesmok and force the players to use other ammo types to gain advantages."

This means that if your own ship turns right on the spot to keep the guns aimed at another ship, your gun would be affected by that turning less. Same as you did with the gatling, but inverted.
I think it's not a problem of the angles but that the gun behaves as if you had heavy clip loaded into it, it's shots are far too precisely.

This can't be changed.  Guns inherit velocity from ships in a realistic manner.  To change that would be to break the entire physics model.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
@awkm

What people are mostly decrying is the loss of a shot in the heavy Flak due to lesmok changes.  This is because the second shot was the kill shot.

People depended on lesmok before to make a kill at long and medium ranges, which was the primary reason people took heavy flak.  It was an incredibly risky strategy that paid off big with a skilled gunner. 

For example when a pyramidion was charging a Spire, a Flak spire used to be able to kill it by dropping its armor at medium to long range and killing it with two very precise Flak shots.  If a Flak shot were to miss, the Pyra would usually close in and kill the Spire.

Without the second shot to finish at long to medium range, the Flak loses a lot of it's raison d'etre.  I have heard some of the very experienced flak users talking about adding another shot to the gun as a solution.  It's too hard to conceptualize whether it would make the gun op in competitive play (it probably wouldn't change much since competitive players rarely miss and they only need 2 shots anyways) but I think it might likely make it balanced in pub play.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:30 pm »
Agreed with Smollett pretty much, I think with the New Lesmok and an ammo increase this gun will shine a bit more as the finisher it was designed to be I guess, plus the ammo change might encourage other ammo types as well.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »
I can't keep my threads straight but yes, increasing ammo for heavy flak is a possible solution.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
The part you referred to, awkm, was the one about the mortar. My post may have been chaotic, so just wanted to clearify that.
Referring to said post again: Decreasing the range of the mortar still might be worth a thought, but I don't think this will be the only change that has to be made on this gun.

So Smollett and Echoez, I guess we mainly agree on those points?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:46:11 pm by RainerZuFall »

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2013, 01:02:01 pm »
I guess my biggest complaint is trying to do these new achievements with all these changes. I cant see me getting anymore Lochnager and flak part destroys since the heavy flak is even more shunned for the moment. And please dont even bring up the light flak, would anyone really expect to do a lochnager shot with that thing . This has to be done without accidentally killing them, which in itself is fairly absurd. 2000+ m part destroys is still possible I guess using charged rounds, but I just truly despise talentless buffoons that sit in the corner with a mercury, so I have been slowly getting mine done with a LumberJack. I guess my main concern is all these achievements. It is no secret I like to get my levels, thats how I am, and could care less who likes it or not. The heavy flak is hard to hit with at range, even with the slothlike lesmok projectile. Just put 2 rounds back in the thing.

There are a few more achievement revisions coming -- that particular achievement is being changed to remove the gun constraint, so it's Lochnagar with anything, if that helps.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »
The part you referred to, awkm, was the one about the mortar. My post may have been chaotic, so just wanted to clearify that.
Referring to said post again: Decreasing the range of the mortar still might be worth a thought, but I don't think this will be the only change that has to be made on this gun.

So Smollett and Echoez, I guess we mainly agree on those points?

I personaly enjoy the Mortar right now, though I do agree that some changes need to be done, since the only problem with it is Lesmok though, you might want to take a look at the 1.3.1 Lesmok discussion thread, Sammy B.T. brought up an interesting point.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »
I was referring to the heavy flak changes, sorry. Since you pointed out something that has been written before, but I don't know if you agree with it or just want it because of different reasons - also the first point stayed unanswered.

About the mortar, it's quite enjoyable, but as awkm said - you just load up lesmok and it pretty much hits without you doing anything.
I don't see lesmok as the problem (especially not the new lesmok) but the gun itself.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
Oh yes, definately, an extra shot to the Heavy Flak would be most welcome if it is to retain its Finisher only niche. Extra shell life might be cool as well, we will have to test.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »
Well, then we disagree on the extra shell life as it currently looks. Why do you think adding extra shell life would help? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 01:43:45 pm »
Could the ammo of a gun be expressed as a float?
For example if the fieldgun's ammo were set at 2.0f while the Flack cannon was expressed as 2.5f using an ammo the reduced clip size by 20% would result in the field gun having one shot 2.0f*0.8f=1.6f and the flack still having two 2.5f*0.8f =2.0f.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
Since we round up from x.5, 1.6f would lead to 2 shots I guess. Also, -20% clip size is pretty much what has been changed in the new lesmok (to -30%).

Offline Twinkie D-Lite

• Salutes: 12
    • [KG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »
As far as the mortar goes its pretty much fine the way it is. Lets be honest most players cant hit crap with that thing unless your close enough to throw a rock at them anyway. And if your already on top of them why would you even want lesmok then, greased or burst is always better for that.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2013, 02:02:19 pm »
My point is Muse could set one gun to drop to 1 round with lesmok while having another keep 2 rounds with lesmok if they used floats and made the second gun have a fractionally larger clip.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »
Why not change one gun instead of many guns/ammo types?