Author Topic: Pyra being op?  (Read 110642 times)

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: Pyra being op?
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »
Lemme guess, Gat/Mortar?

Actually Merc/Mortar, all day every day (I used to fly exclusively flak/gat til the Heavy Clip nerf). I also always shoot a lot of fireballs when I play as Ryu in Street Fighter. It's just the way I play; with the full intention to win every match. I do that by utilizing what I view as the best attacks I have available to me (Mortar/Hadouken) as efficiently as possible.

I totally respect the fact that you use strange setups on your ship. It's why I love [Cake]. It's how you guys have fun. I have fun by doing everything I can to ensure a win. As long as we're both having fun, I don't see any problem if I, or anyone else, uses whatever the current most effective weapon pairing is 100% of the time.

My point is it's WAY easier to organize an unknown crew on a pyra than it is on other ships. Let me elaborate it with two examples:

Easy junker setup is: Gunner/buffer bottom deck, firing a piercing weapon (merc/gat) 99% of the time, tapping main engine 1% of the time. I suppose if you want to put a real long-range weapon on the front (I usually just use flare), he can do that before you reach engagement, too. Primary engineer on hull, and on hull only, with maybe the OCCASIONAL balloon tap. Secondary engineer watching the engines, balloon, and jumping on the explosive weapon (flak/mortar) only when it's time to get the kill.

It's ALMOST as easy as Pyramidion, as long as you have a good and dedicated engineer who doesn't mind spending the entire match tapping the hull, and one who doesn't mind doing quite a bit more. Honestly, I try to keep 1 engineer on the hull as close to 100% of the time as possible on any ship I fly (Mobula is the only exception).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:06:30 pm by dragonmere »

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:20 am »
No totally, if it works, go for it. We play for different reasons, and that diversity adds depth and more enjoyment.

You can pester me with your killer setup, and I'll pester you with my flames and mines XD

What we should remember, it's that anyone can fly a Pyramidion so everyone has the potential to use meta against other metas.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:20 am »
yeah but he'd be better with the meta and so would win...

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:26 am »
He's flown on it forever, he's got plenty of experience with it. When I go up against someone I know I stand no chance beating, I either switch to another lobby or use the most annoying setup I can build. I know I'll lose, and I don't want to lay down and take it, so I try my hardest to make it difficult. (hiding, running constantly, chatting with the crew, etc.)

Offline Slag

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
No the point is that everyone is underestimating what 2 foward pointing front guns can do on a tanky ship like the Pyra.
Its desing is way too optimized, if there was at least a very narrow sweet spot from where you can fire both weapons it would be vaguely more balanced.

And just because you can work around something it doesn't mean that it isn't a problem. It's like saying that irl a f****** tree fallen in the middle of a road isn't a problem and shouldn't be removed because you can just climb over it or offroad and drive around.

Oh yeah. It's not really the weapon combo. It's the two front facing guns combined with the layout of the ship. It's too well designed.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2013, 02:43:22 pm »
Oh yeah. It's not really the weapon combo. It's the two front facing guns combined with the layout of the ship. It's too well designed.
Euhm, there's no guns on right side.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:23 pm »
The Pyra tends to be difficult to take down in a 1v1 attack (more so even than the aforementioned junker).
You just described your problem right here. The pyramidion and junker are the game's two main brawlers, they tend to have the advantage in a 1v1 situation. The game is not balanced for 1v1 engagements; make sure you're always communicating and coordinating with your ally, and that you focus your fire on a single enemy. The pyramidion will go down without a problem. If you go at it 1v1, you'll most likely lose unless you're able to sneak up on him from behind or something.

I think this is the problem people are referring to though. The game will come down to 1v1's very often. So if you bring a great 2v2 combo w/teamwork (maybe you have a galleon/squid, or whatever) you force yourself to never ever lose a teammate or you both go down. This is in contrast to a pyra/pyra, junker/junker, junker/pyra team that plays you which if one dies the other is still capable of making a kill alone.

I've played many matches of goldfish/pyra vs. pyra/pyra where we *should* have the upper hand due to teamwork and advanced strategies of taking out ballons and this and that but what it comes down to is you almost have to go 2-0. Otherwise it's at best 1v1 where the pyra bests your galleon or squid, or worst 2v1 with 2 pyras shooting down a galleon or squid.

I realize with excellent teamwork you can overcome the pyra/pyra, but it's so easy to just pyra/pyra, go into a 2v2 and know all you need to do is get it down to a 1v1 and then make the kill leaving the score 2-1. Rinse and repeat, 4-2, etc.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »
Though a goldfish can certainly wreck pyras it's not actually a natural counter since it's a disabling ship and you usually want to just killl pyras to eliminate the threat (though disabling 1 and killing the other certainly works well if you do it right).

Junkers, supported galleons and squids good enough to stay out of gun arcs are much more natural pyra counters.

Next time you fly against two pyras and you want to take a goldfish see if your ally will take a Junker. A Junker can usually easily win a 1v1 vs one pyra while you disable the second one and then work with you to secure the final kill.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2013, 12:47:03 am »
So, in a hilarious turn of events, I got really sick of Pyras today. Was it because there were so many that were kicking my butt? No. It was because I kept ending up crewing them. Seriously. I think I had a Goldfish for one match early on, then Pyras all day until I finally begged the Captain seat and switched to my Junker. We won nearly every round, but after a while any ship gets boring.

Just a different perspective on the "We have too many Pyras" issue. Captains- please mix it up once in a while.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2013, 07:21:16 am »
I always fly a Goldfish or a Spire, what are all these Pyras you are talking about?

On more serious note though, if you have problems with people playing too much Pyra you might want to add pilots that fly something else more regularly to your friends list and fly with them more.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:16 am »
I always fly a Goldfish or a Spire, what are all these Pyras you are talking about?

On more serious note though, if you have problems with people playing too much Pyra you might want to add pilots that fly something else more regularly to your friends list and fly with them more.

Here here! The first step is always to add people, I on average like to fly a Junker of various builds, many of which don't work, mines and flamethrowers, we've got that, harpoons of doom, sometimes but not always.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 11:11:59 am »
A small issue is that us avid forum users and higher levels generally join games from our friends list, so we may be missing what the community at large is missing.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 11:51:40 am »
I still join off random PUG's and see a lot of Pyra usage. I am leaning the Pyra's slow turning rate is beneficial for PUG games where the gunners might not know how to compensate for ship movement. Taking a low level crew on a junker is much less effective than taking a low level crew on the Pyra. The side ways momentum and sportier turning attributes of the junker result in less hits than the steadier Pyra gun platform. An experienced junker crew has a slight advantage over an experienced Pyra crew, but a novice junker crew is at a moderate disadvantage against a novice Pyra crew.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 08:50:20 pm »
very well said.  Pyra is a low risk, low reward ship.  It's maximum potential is easily reached but it is limited when it come to more advanced (or goofy if you're a cake) play.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 02:13:02 am »
Very well said borg. in my honest opinion the best way to take down a pyra is through the dirt.

Its hardy armour is a pain but i find that its more of a struggle for the entire crew (engies + pilot) to maintain their course when they are fighting to keep their baloon in order.

Since it can barely turn and its engines aren't powerful enough to bring itself to a stop while falling, it ends up dragging its entire body through the ground.*

*what i mean about this is that when its hit the floor most captains keep going forward instead of stopping increasing the damage to the ship as the go.**

** want to see what i mean? get some sand paper and place your hand on it... then try placing your hand on it while moving your hand in a direction with some force.