Author Topic: Surprise Changes affecting heavy carro  (Read 16296 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Surprise Changes affecting heavy carro
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
Was on a carronade for the first time since the update - it was quite suprising.

Usually I take lesmok, burst and greased - lesmok in a carronade as mentioned in the beta app thread now only has 1 round, it's playable. The surprising thing was greased was out ranging burst in range to effectiveness. It's like they've swapped range profiles.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Surprise Changes affecting heavy carro
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:14:17 am »
Why you would use any of those ammo types in a heavy carronade is beyond me...

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »
Agreed with Zill o.o

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »
Same as Zill... But why shouldn't this be good, Jack? An ammo that gives you a much bigger AoE with more range than a clip that helps you shoot faster? Try to think about it that way.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:06:02 pm »
Well for one greased now out performs burst in range meaning you get more shots at a balloon when closing on it.
Lesmok extends the reach of the carronade allowing you more damage while closing on a target.

Try them yourselves if you wish.

As to burst my understanding of the carronade is that once the balloon goes, the weapon damage goes to the hull, so boosting the damage maybe a desirable thing - though I'm open to explanations if I have the wrong idea.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:37 pm »
Burst increases your AoE, thus increasing where the damage is spread to.

I don't see anything bad with greased giving you more hits than burst on specific distances. Burst always, as already stated, spread the damage all over the ship - which led to lesser relative parts of the shots hitting the balloon.

Weapon damage always goes to the hull if shooting at a destroyed component.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »
Same as Zill... But why shouldn't this be good, Jack? An ammo that gives you a much bigger AoE with more range than a clip that helps you shoot faster? Try to think about it that way.
What I'm saying is greased has more range, as in I can shoot further away from the target and get hits, than with burst. Something which didn't happen prior to the update - it's like they've swapped ranges.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:18:25 pm »
Burst increases your AoE, thus increasing where the damage is spread to.

I don't see anything bad with greased giving you more hits than burst on specific distances. Burst always, as already stated, spread the damage all over the ship - which led to lesser relative parts of the shots hitting the balloon.

Weapon damage always goes to the hull if shooting at a destroyed component.

ok then my theorising about using burst wasn't off then.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:24:12 pm »
Due to how a carronade fires in a cone pattern, using lesmok allows for longer range, but when an enemy is that far away, the cone is incredibly spread out, making it so that only a few of the projectiles hit the target while the rest pass all around it.

If you want range, use heavy clip, that way it doesn't shoot in a cone, but rather a beam. You can take out a balloon in two shots at gatling range.

Greased lets you shoot faster, but that's still only two shots which already fire within a second of each other.

As for burst, I think it only affects weapons that explode with an AoE like Mortar, flak, Lumberjack, mines, rockets, etc. I don't think they affect direct hit damage weapons like the flamer, gatling, and flare. Though someone else will have to clarify that.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »
Burst increases the aoe of any weapon with an aoe damage type (so every weapon besides flamethrower). 

On a carronade it would increase the area of effect of the shatter damage, so if some of the pellets did not directly hit a gun or engine they still may damage it with the increased area of effect.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:15 pm »
I understand the trade off that greased and lesmok offer - however they are still dealing damage as you close potentially pulling crew off guns (I also use incendiary ammo for the same purpose) or allowing you to take the balloon down faster when in effective range.

But my main reason for posting is the change in behaviour of both greased and burst since the update.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:37:36 pm by Calico Jack »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »
Lesmok isn't great for reasons stated by Zenark.

Greased is bad because it barely makes the clip empty quicker, and you lose 20% damage per shot. You actually get higher DPS from vanilla rounds, and much, much higher DPS from charged/loch.

Burst is just mediocre. It does increase the AoE, but if you're looking for extra damage then you're much better off with charged, or better yet lochnagar.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »
Burst increases the aoe of any weapon with an aoe damage type (so every weapon besides flamethrower). 

On a carronade it would increase the area of effect of the shatter damage, so if some of the pellets did not directly hit a gun or engine they still may damage it with the increased area of effect.

Yup, the same I wrote too. That may be what you've noticed, Jack.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »
Usually I take lesmok, burst and greased - lesmok in a carronade

ಠ_ಠ

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:36 am »
But my main reason for posting is the change in behaviour of both greased and burst since the update.

I'll just leave this hanging here will I? - there's been an update, things have changed under the hood possibly in unforseen ways.