Author Topic: Ghost ships  (Read 18946 times)

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Ghost ships
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:04:11 pm »
On the subject of rounds no longer colliding with your own ship:

I feel that this change takes a little bit away from the gunner-pilot coordination, as well as a little bit of the authenticity of the game.
I understand that it's frustrating as a new player to be taking shots and suddenly start hitting your own ship, but in my opinion that's when you should start talking to your captain, so you can coordinate the swift death of your enemies!

It also changes the balance of ships like the Pyra. You can fling bullets through your nose cones, but you deny the enemy the opportunity to destroy those guns. You can shoot them, and they have no chance to prevent it. This takes a great deal of the positioning requirements for the Pyra away. I know it's supposed to be one of the easier ships to learn, but those guns are difficult enough to destroy and can put a lot of damage on a target.

Perhaps it's not as big of a deal to the rest of you, in which case I will be a bit heartbroken but ultimately change my tactics to shoot up at people. I do feel rather strongly that if the ship is in the way, then the ship should be in the way. I can't shoot through my ally, so why am I able to shoot through myself? It just feels wrong to me (and allows really strange and possibly unbalanced tactics with the already powerful pyra).

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost ships
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »
I agree with Plasma. Even if it adds a more open firing arc on the guns, I find the immersion lessened when I don't have to yell the captain that Pyra's nose is in the way.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:28:20 pm »
Fully agreed. I don't think anybody was really asking for it to be changed, and it makes very little sense.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »
Even I agree.  Not sure why they changed it.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »
As annoying as it was to mess up a mine on the back of a squid, I still feel it helped with ships like the pyramidion having slightly reduced upwards arc. Additionally it doesn't particularly confuse new players in my experience.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »
Yeah, the fact that you're now able to shoot through the pyramidion nose really bothers me. As an enemy pilot, that's one of the drawbacks of the pyramidion you can take advantage of; stay a little above him so his gun arcs can't quite get on you because of his nose. Now the pyramidion's arcs are even better, which I don't think was ever an issue to begin with.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »
i havent played the new release yet, but yeah i dont understand that change.  its not like projectiles were hitting invisible walls on the ship or anything like that.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:43:05 pm »
Agreed.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »
As annoying as it was to mess up a mine on the back of a squid, I still feel it helped with ships like the pyramidion having slightly reduced upwards arc. Additionally it doesn't particularly confuse new players in my experience.
I don't know about other players, but when I realized that oh, if I hit the nose of the ship if I fire at it, I stopped trying to fire through it. Shouldn't be all that confusing to newer players.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
I don't know about other players, but when I realized that oh, if I hit the nose of the ship if I fire at it, I stopped trying to fire through it. Shouldn't be all that confusing to newer players.
Yeah, especially with the mortar. A blast right in front of your eyes instead of, optimally, the enemy's stripped hull should make some synapses pop.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »
Sorry everyone, you're just going to have to live with this.

Projectiles colliding with your own ship was a HUGE cause for misfire or dbl shots.  Due to the way that our guns are set up, there is no easy way to do this other than projectile not colliding with your ship.  Other solutions would require an entire reworking of gun logic or require each gun to not be able to point at your own ship, which is all time that is not going into Adventure Mode and other cool little features.  To us, this is a small sacrifice.

And yes, this includes colliding with things that you cannot see.  Again, this was one of many things that caused misfires.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
Okay, that makes sense. Small sacrifice for a pretty important bug fix.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:06 pm »
It also changes the balance of ships like the Pyra. You can fling bullets through your nose cones, but you deny the enemy the opportunity to destroy those guns. You can shoot them, and they have no chance to prevent it. This takes a great deal of the positioning requirements for the Pyra away. I know it's supposed to be one of the easier ships to learn, but those guns are difficult enough to destroy and can put a lot of damage on a target.

This doesn't strike me as a small sacrifice.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
It may not be optimal, but honestly it's worth fixing misfiring (a.k.a. the bug we were stuck with since beta)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
So basically there is no avoiding their gun arcs now if they are facing you unless you are a Squid or something.

I prefer ghost shotting.  o _o