Author Topic: Phobos Mine Launcher: variable launching distance  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Phobos Mine Launcher: variable launching distance
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:51 am »
My biggest frustration with the Mine Launcher is the inability to vary how far mines are launched and deployed. I'd like to see a function incorporated that allows you to do so. I see it working like this:

The longer you hold down the mouse button, the further it launches. A quick click will drop the mine and deploy its balloon almost immediately (0.5s), while holding down the mouse button to maximum will launch it the full distance before deploying the balloon (3.5s). It would take 3 seconds for the launcher to charge to maximum launching distance -- 1 second for every second added to the balloon deployment delay.

Depending on balance issues, the actual arming of the mine's warhead may need some changes if this function was added. Personally, I'd like mines to always arm 0.5 to 1 seconds after the balloon deploys, no matter how far the mine is launched. Thus, a "dropped" mine would arm in 1 to 1.5 seconds, while a fully launched mine would arm in 4 to 4.5 seconds.

Another factor that would most likely have to be adjusted would be the reloading time of the launcher. Currently it is 4 seconds, but with this function added, where it takes additional time to launch the full distance, it might be reasonable to take the time down to 3 or even 2 seconds.

This function would make minelaying less dependent on the position of the ship, allowing gunners to drop mines precisely where they want to. It would also open up some interesting gameplay options, where an airship could drop mines immediately behind them to shake off a pursuing enemy or quickly lay a few mines as they cross the path of a less maneuverable airship.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Phobos Mine Launcher: variable launching distance
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:41 am »
Hmmm. I like that idea. It would mean you could drop other ammo type rounds at different distances.

Unfortunately I think the community would rally to get mines removed after it was implemented. They'd go berserk because the competitive scene would turn into nothing but mine throwing matches.

As for the usage. You can already do this in game. I've fended off ships with mines in situations where I was at a huge disadvantage. They make perfect escape tools because captains are forced to evade them or risk potentially getting blasted around. What it really takes is people to just take time with the mines, learn their distances and what the ammo types change. I've been running Munkers (Junkers with all mines) for weeks since they were added. Crews are shocked and terrified about flying with me when I do, they think its all a gag, and then by the end of the match they are having the most fun they've ever had in game. I teach them how to master the mine launcher and then they get really deadly with it. If you are going to teach new players how to change up ammo types and why, the mine launcher is a wonderful tool.

The trick to mines is simple...predict the enemy ship movement and fire accordingly. Gunners can't shoot directly with mines, they have to plant them and also keep in mind a pilot's evasion capabilities. If they take that into account, they'll place the mines in the position where it cannot possibly be evaded. They also can set up traps where they force and enemy to move in the direction they want them to where they can hammer them with mines and the opposing ship has no means of escaping it.

Pilots also have to setup situations to do this. So really it is an advanced weapon which takes not only a good gunner but a good pilot who can position the ship in the best spots to take advantage of the mines.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26:19 am »
If you are going to teach new players how to change up ammo types and why, the mine launcher is a wonderful tool.

This. Mines are super powerful, and very difficult and tactical to use. I've seen them absolutely obliterate teams on a competitive level, and cause havoc whenever they're uses even somewhat effectively. But Gilder is right: Ammo types, ammo types, ammo types.

Having a variable launch setting would probably require a re-write of the gunning code, and while it'd be cool, I'd rather see it on an entirely new weapon (sky torpedo, altitude charge, time bomb) than modifying the wonderful proxy mines. They aren't really supposed to be lobbed directly at other ships. You want to use them for area denial. If you're really good, you'll get a gunner who can lead them perfectly, but personally I find my depth perception sucks too much (also I never gun).

Offline Kharthynogus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:52 pm »
This is the part where I regret even attempting to take my original idea and "balance" it or make it interesting.

Really, all I want to be able to do is just drop mines in place -- no launching great distances or lobbing at ships. I just wanna poop them in place. I attempted to incorporate that into something that would allow both the pooping and the flinging for the sake of creative minelayers, but honestly all I really care for is the pooping. Hell, we can completely lose the lobbing of mines for all I care. I just want to lay mines like a normal minelaying ship :(

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »
Load the mine launcher with lochnagar, and there you go.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »
Load the mine launcher with lochnagar, and there you go.

if you do it on a front gun you make your pilot make funny noises

but yeah like everyone said, dem ammo types. also work with the pilot to get the ship at the proper ranges. since the gunner can have 3 ammo types there are essentially 3 general areas you can pop mines. the pilot and the gunner should be always talking about distance from target and ship speed when you are using mine launchers or any other difficult gun.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:25 pm »
If you just want a mine pooper then yeah, no luck. Honestly pooping mines loses a lot of it's effectiveness because enemy pilots can see them. You don't want them to see them ahead of time. You want the mine to pop up right in their face and explode before they have a chance to react.

Turn your rear gun mount on Galleon and Squid to a mine launcher. Then load lochnagar, greased, or incendiary. It'll accomplish what you want with a slight arming time remaining.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »
A mine pooper would have to have a delay fuse or else it would just blow up the laying ship. Can you imagine the rage captains would feel if a newbie gunner poops a mine and doesn't tell the captain, then the mine times out and explodes under the ship. At least with the mine launcher a captain can see the mine and turn away from it if his gunner tries to be a troll

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »
Believe it or not, in the dev app the original mines with lochnagar had this capability. They would become active the moment they popped out and yes just like Hamster stated, they would blow up immediately. It actually was pretty hilarious because some of the guys made up suicide charge pyras. Loaded dual mines on the front with loch and then charged in and blew themselves up at close range. Gotta remember mines in the dev app also had a large explosion radius as well as more dmg.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »
They still come out really quickly. It's perfect for dropping them in the face of pursuing ships.

Offline Kharthynogus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »
Do the special rounds also change the amount of damage and other special properties? Or is it only affected by the projectile speed modifier?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »
They do. Burst enhances the AOE effect nicely. Incendiary causes a greater chance of parts catching fire.

I commonly use burst in my rear firing mines to make sure the dmg really hits all over the ship tailing me. Also if multiple ships are tailing the burst guarantees that they won't be tailing for long. More of a chance of other ships being caught in it.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »
Greased rounds have a strange effect on the mine launcher. It will reduce the reload speed.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:29 am »
Greased always had whenever I've used it with any gun. Faster firing and quicker reload.

Offline Twinkie D-Lite

• Salutes: 12
    • [KG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
The mine launcher is fine the way it is. Heaven forbid someone actually has to put a little effort into practicing with a weapon in the game.