Author Topic: Balloon engine piston quartering  (Read 12367 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Balloon engine piston quartering
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »
Can someone please fix the quartering of the pistons on the balloon engines.  Just a minor detail.

And while I'm mentioning minor details.. triple contra-rotating propellers may look good, but all the torque benefits are lost.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Balloon engine piston quartering
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »
Sorry, I can't play the game right now to check what you mean, can you post pictures of the ballooon thing? Also, may as well post the prop thing, although I do remember that one off the top of my head.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »
The triple contra-rotating props are on the Galleon and Junker, from memory.  Possibly the Goldfish as well.

The piston quartering things is here..
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064114944/screenshots/

Not clear to see, but if you watch the balloon engine in motion you can spot it more easily.  Set-up like that it's not going to self-start.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:37:07 am »
I'll be honest the triple propellers always strike me as impractical.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:44:22 am by Calico Jack »

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35:33 am »
I strongly suspect that no one at Muse had Meccano or Lego as a child.. not the mechanical types.. ;)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:55 am »
And while I'm mentioning minor details.. triple contra-rotating propellers may look good, but all the torque benefits are lost.

Also, those propellers seem too small to propel anything anyways (the blades in particular)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:11:03 am by Sgt. Spoon »

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:32 am »

Also, those propellers seem too small to propel anything anyways (the blades in particular)

*nodding wholeheartedly

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:44:24 am »
Related to the quartering issue, on the foredeck of the Squid there are five pistons that are visible popping up through the deck.  The animation isn't right for a straight-five, it should be like this.

These are all very tech-geek observations.. but there's time to fix them before AM.

Triple contra-rotating props - main engine of all classes except Squid.

Every other engine is a normal twin contra-rotating prop.  Although the benefit is probably minimal for all steering engines as these could be counter-rotating (as could Squid main engines).

All props are far too small (as noted above) with nowhere near enough blade area to be realistic.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:13:07 am »
definitely note taking time. alot of these are mostly my fault and lenz fault as we tend to get ahead of ourselves >>; (and you better believe we played with legos! :P  )

either way, i'm sure when we have the excuse to look into things like this they'll be updated. the only thing that isn't practical to change is actually prop sizes on the engines. mostly because all the ships are designed with a certain clearance for props, mind you though, we have the plan to eventually (eventually. . . ) update the way engines look 

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:29:27 am »
lol i dont see why all these small things matter when there are giant gears that dont connect to anything and stuff like that

pickle, sometimes you have to forgive the fantasy for the sake of the aesthetic. In games that happens all the time. and this game is in no way a simulator or a hard science fiction.

also as for the pistons, you are assuming its an inline 5 engine. it could be a number of other things. i find it more interesting to take the information provided and try to figure out why that is there and what it is for within the context of the game.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:54 am »
shoosh. . dont point out the giant gears that connect to nothing >>;

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:33:30 am »
oh um i mean, what gears? what are you talking about? THERE ARE NO GEARS! DONT LOOK AT THE GEARS!

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
Well I wasn't going to mention the chain in the belly of the Squid., but as you're mentioning gears.. ..

These are just the little things I catch out of the corner of my eye as you go around the ship.  So much effort has been put into the visual details, and this means that at least I'm looking at them and appreciating the work - even if no one else is looking at them.

PS  LFP, prop diameter can remain the same for clearance when you do review the appearance of engines, it's really the blades that look incredibly thin.
PPS LFP if you could find your way to drawing up some Junker blue prints that would be much appreciated.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:45:09 am »
by blueprints you mean a wallpaper? planning on doing the goldfish next i think when ever i get some free time (. . ha. . ha. . ha >>;) but i guess i could do a Lenz ship after that :P

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »
oh yeah just for the record, I don't really mind the engines/props, I just found it kinda funny

...and I've also always wondered about that chain in belly of the squid