Author Topic: 35mm AA gun  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
35mm AA gun
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:02:18 pm »
So a 35mm AA gun is a four barreled machine cannon which shoots heavy flak rounds with a high rate of fire a miniscule accuracy. However, like in real life, in order to be used effectively, it must be crewed by 2 men. One man can shoot it as much as he likes, but it takes the second man to turn it.

Just a thought

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: 35mm AA gun
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »
.... I actually like this idea. We already have a flak cannon, but a weapon requiring two people to use is awesome.

Offline Tron

• Salutes: 2
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
    • SideStrike Gaming
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:57 am »
Good idea yeah... captains would have to choose between 1 engineer and this big old gun, or less firepower but more bullets out or engineers running around...

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:03:15 am »
I'm not sure what you're thinking of (35mm Oerlikon is twin barrel) but your description makes me think of the  quad QF 2-pounder "pom pom".

It's an interesting design, and one that would be instantly recognisable to a lot of players.  I'm not sure about the two-player requirement for any gun, I can't see how that would work and it's a big change from the current mechanic.  What would each player be doing?  How could an AI perform one role while a player performed tha other?

But as a heavy gun, something similar to four light flak barrels on the same mount, I could see that working.  The animation would be very distinctive.

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:40:39 am »
I'm not sure an AI could actually use this, but as for the two man requirement I had thought that one man can move the individual barrels and shoot them (all at once mind you, he can't just take a single barrel off target), while the other man is on the ground and actually pushes or pulls to move the entire turret. Classically, You'd have a third man to load the gun faster but I don't know.