Author Topic: What are you Reading?  (Read 20325 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you Reading?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:39:05 am »
I am unable to read fiction, My concentration just ends there.

However I read some comics from time to time, and just finished preacher again.

Also I have received my history book: a companion to europe 1900-1945 which will act as inspiration for my finals at history.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
Finishing up "The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke". Amazing set of 1950s -> 1990s scifi which really shows the progression culture and scifi in general has taken! (From OHGODNUCLEARPOWERISGREAT to "Warp drives, lasers, and cloning").

Still have a massive backlog. I don't read as much as I would like to, just a bit each night.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »
My copies of Count Zero and Mona Lisa Interrupt are probably older than many players of GOIO!

Neuromancer I had to replace more recently after losing it a while ago.  I have most of the novels of Neal Stephenson, William Gibson Iain M Banks and China Meiville sat on my shelf.  All the Laundry novels by Charles Stross (highly recommended if you like HP Lovecraft and have a sense of humour), several Paolo Bacigalupi (I've got to recommend The Windup Girl), there's some Ken MacLeod, Peter F. Hamilton (I can recommend Great North Road) .. .. and that's just some of the sci-fi..

Meiville is a little hit or miss with me, but in the end I always enjoy reading his books. I've been meaning to pick up some Iain M Banks for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm going to have to check some of those out.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 04:09:41 pm »
Meiville is a little hit or miss with me, but in the end I always enjoy reading his books. I've been meaning to pick up some Iain M Banks for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm going to have to check some of those out.

If you do, I recommend you start with either Consider Phlebas or The Player of GamesExcession is probably my favourite, but you're jumping in at the deep end with some of the concepts of the Culture.

I know what you mean about Chine Meiville, I really wasn't keen on Iron Council for some reason.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »
Last thing I read was the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. It does scifi space battles that obey most of the laws of physics as we currently understand them. Such as no faster than light communication. All speeds given in fractions of the speed of light. All distance given in light seconds or light minutes as well as noticeable delays in communication and information about objects far away. Some Faster than light transportation hand waving is done to permit one fleet to do battle in multiple solar systems without putting their crew in Cryo. It also plays off the resurrected legendary hero trope which I enjoy.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 01:56:03 am »
Reviving this discussion thread.

Anyways I've been reading some of Ray Bradbury's work as of recent, mostly due to a project I had in english a few months ago, but even then I think he's an author well deserved of the praise he's given.

I also read the Zone of Thought series by Vernor Vinge, not entirely sure how to describe it, best you googled it and find out yourself.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »
Reviving this discussion thread.

Anyways I've been reading some of Ray Bradbury's work as of recent, mostly due to a project I had in english a few months ago, but even then I think he's an author well deserved of the praise he's given.

I also read the Zone of Thought series by Vernor Vinge, not entirely sure how to describe it, best you googled it and find out yourself.

Have you read Something Wicked This Way Comes? It's probably my favorite Bradbury.

I just finished Infinite Jest a week or so ago. It's... really weird? I'm still not too sure how I feel about it.

Currently reading Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson. It's like a William Gibson/Neal Stephenson tech thriller meets the Arabian Nights. I've heard it described as an IslamoPunk novel, riffing off of cyberpunk. I'm really enjoying it and heartily recommend it. 

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 03:40:57 pm »
Been reading A Song of Ice and Fire the last couple of weeks, and that's actually part of the reason I haven't been playing GoIO.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 07:58:10 pm »
Decided to read Heinlein's Variable Star, and I'm not regretting that decision.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »
Just recently finished re-(re?)-reading Terminal World by Alistair Reynolds. Of distinct interest here because about half of the book is set on steampunk airships in an apocalyptic future. Most of Reynolds work is very very sci-fi, and I love all of his books, but this one really sits well with GoI.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:53 am »
Just recently finished re-(re?)-reading Terminal World by Alistair Reynolds. Of distinct interest here because about half of the book is set on steampunk airships in an apocalyptic future. Most of Reynolds work is very very sci-fi, and I love all of his books, but this one really sits well with GoI.
Oh wow, I haven't read that one!  I love Alistair Reynolds books in his Revelation Space Universe (even got a couple signed by him at a book signing) but I didn't know he did any steampunk stuff.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 08:30:40 am »
Oh wow, I haven't read that one!  I love Alistair Reynolds books in his Revelation Space Universe (even got a couple signed by him at a book signing) but I didn't know he did any steampunk stuff.
AHHHH JEALOUS. The Revelation Space universe is so awesome. If GoI allowed so many characters, one of my ships would have been named Nostalgia for Infinity from day 1.
Terminal World is the only steampunk he has written (that I know of). It is really interesting how he does it. Good book, but not his best. My personal favorite of his is Century Rain. It doesn't share a universe with any of his other books, but it spins a fabulous tale on its own. If you like Reynolds and haven't read it, go get it now.   :P

Also, congrats on being the first person I have found who has read his books. Woo!