Author Topic: this really irritated me  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
this really irritated me
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:27:30 am »
I was looking for something else and came across this review

http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/guns-of-icarus-review-flying-low/

It's not the low score that irked me, it's stuff like this

Gunnery in this game is fairly straightforward–point your gun or rocket launcher at the enemy until they explode into splinters–but there is a bit of depth as well.
Well gosh did you actually try asking about anything before forming your opinion on "quite a bit of depth"?

the hwacha, a korean multi-rocket launcher that sends 20 explosive darts toward your target. It’s an absolute blast to fire, and watching a dozen explosions blossom on your target’s hull is really gratifying.

Ahh I guess not.

I get that reviewers won't announce their presence for that gonzo feel, and yes this is from around 9 months ago, but he doesn't have a clue what the game is actualy about, yet he feels he can judge the game play.

This is similar to the video doing the rounds on the forums where a captain curses a youtuber out for spawning in as a 2nd gunner on a goldfish - the youtuber did the classic "OK I've done the tutes, now I'm an expert", all that was missing was that he bring the buff hammer.

Offline Bonnie Parker

• Salutes: 0
    • [DPA]
    • View Profile
Re: this really irritated me
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:12:27 am »
I think he has a point. The gunner role is the easiest to learn and has the lowest skillcap. He summarizes the experience pretty accurately, all you do is sit on your main gun and shoot.
Of course there are different guns for different purposes but you learn quickly not to use the gatling for destroying the balloon. On some ships you even have to change weapon depending on where the enemy is (Galleon) but there is not much more to gunning.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:09 am »
It is best not to read reviews at times. Lot of review sites are very unprofessional. I used to write for Macologist years ago before they folded. The editors there really put us through a wringer before anything would be published. Made sure stuff was polished and professional. Some of the crap I see these days is little more than kids blogging.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:42 am »
Anyone can jump on a gun or be engie or pilot - being a really good one however takes practice.

Just talking about gunner you have to learn how to be proficient across various weapon types including how to allow for your own ship's vector, the target's vector and where you should be looking to judge that, and you have to learn that twice once for forward facing guns once for side facing and know how to apply that to get the maximum effect from the weapon you're using.

Or you can go as deep as this guy and fire a manticore at a ship's hull cos you like too see lots of hit markers, just don't expect to live too long on a ship he's crewing on.

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

the hwacha, a korean multi-rocket launcher that sends 20 explosive darts toward your target. It’s an absolute blast to fire, and watching a dozen explosions blossom on your target’s hull is really gratifying.
Ahh I guess not.

I laughed at this.

It's a complicated game that a lot of reviewers and new players don't seem to get. It's easy to jump into any role but takes a lot of practice and thought to perfect them, as you've said. I don't believe that most reviewers will invest that kind of time into a game. Muse did a great thing by including tutorials, I think, but it seems like many people don't have the patience for them.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 09:16:42 am »
I think he has a point. The gunner role is the easiest to learn and has the lowest skillcap. He summarizes the experience pretty accurately, all you do is sit on your main gun and shoot.
Of course there are different guns for different purposes but you learn quickly not to use the gatling for destroying the balloon. On some ships you even have to change weapon depending on where the enemy is (Galleon) but there is not much more to gunning.
Okay, even while I seem biased, I have to say being a good gunner is in no way any easier than being a good Engineer. Engineer usually has more tools to play with, but as a gunner you got half, if not two thirds, of the ship's damage output on your shoulders. If you miss with a Hwacha, it is no components down, if you miss with a gatling too much, it is an enemy hull armor up. The basic concept is very simple, point-and-shoot, but taking into account the x,y,z and their differences when accounting for two moving ships still befuddles me sometimes. :)
Still, I admit I am rather a gunner with one focused mission than an engineer with various duties. 

Offline WhiteWeasel

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 04:22:42 pm »
I get that reviewers won't announce their presence for that gonzo feel, and yes this is from around 9 months ago, but he doesn't have a clue what the game is actualy about, yet he feels he can judge the game play.
Yeah it sucks, reviewers never put more that a few hours into a game so they can get quick views. And they never go back and reconsider afterwards. Some media sites actually won't let you-that is really stupid.

This is similar to the video doing the rounds on the forums where a captain curses a youtuber out for spawning in as a 2nd gunner on a goldfish - the youtuber did the classic "OK I've done the tutes, now I'm an expert", all that was missing was that he bring the buff hammer.
I seen that video, For the captain that was a crowning example of how not to treat your crew. And I seen that youtuber before. He uses lot's of sarcasm in his humor, he probably was having a laugh at his own inexperience.