Author Topic: New engineering tool idea!  (Read 7767 times)

Offline Cheekydood

• Salutes: 0
    • [RWBY]
    • View Profile
New engineering tool idea!
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:37:05 am »
What if a new engineering tool was added to the game...lets say a mallet that could also buff at the same time as repairing? Well, what if a mallet was added, with some, if not most, of the repair power of the rubber mallet removed, and have a small amount of buffing power added. It could be the kind of inbetween of the rubber mallet and the buff hammer for all those engineers (like myself) who want to be able to repair, buff and rebuild in the most efficiant way possible, obviously it wouldn't be made too powerful but it would be good to have as an option! I hope you guys like the idea :D

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
Re: New engineering tool idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:41:15 am »
what about a variation on the buff hammer, where it has a more potent buff but deals damage to the component while the buff is active

Offline Cheekydood

• [RWBY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:44:56 am »
what about a variation on the buff hammer, where it has a more potent buff but deals damage to the component while the buff is active
That could be cool but i don't think dealing damage to your own ship would help matters much when it came to a battle :P

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:29 am »
It would eliminate the challange on having to decide to go with buff, repair power or extinguishing. Having these tools separated makes it a critical decision to whetever be offensive or rather be defensive. This might sound bad at first but such limitations make it interesting to me. also with two engineers on board one could just go buffing and the other hullgineering.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:44 am »
That could be cool but i don't think dealing damage to your own ship would help matters much when it came to a battle :P

It would by boosting the weapons for example to such a degree they would become really powerful. Time should be lowered though and it should deal quite much damage to the component to not be OP.

I like your idea, but I can't really see it's use. I mean either it would be really powerful or no alternative for the buff since you already can bring the wrench and hit once while buffing.

Offline Cheekydood

• [RWBY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:03 am »
It would eliminate the challange on having to decide to go with buff, repair power or extinguishing. Having these tools separated makes it a critical decision to whetever be offensive or rather be defensive. This might sound bad at first but such limitations make it interesting to me. also with two engineers on board one could just go buffing and the other hullgineering.
Not entirely seeing as the mallet doesn't repair or rebuild as much as the origional rubber one and it also doesn't buff as fast or give as much as a potent buf as the buff hammer

Offline Cheekydood

• [RWBY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:22 am »

It would by boosting the weapons for example to such a degree they would become really powerful. Time should be lowered though and it should deal quite much damage to the component to not be OP.

I like your idea, but I can't really see it's use. I mean either it would be really powerful or no alternative for the buff since you already can bring the wrench and hit once while buffing.
I can see the sense in that

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:06:35 pm »
Not entirely seeing as the mallet doesn't repair or rebuild as much as the original rubber one and it also doesn't buff as fast or give as much as a potent buf as the buff hammer

So it rebuilds even slower then the mallet (which nobody ever should use to rebuild anyway), repairs less hp then the mallet (between wrench and spanner?) and buffs even less quick? I'm sorry but I wouldn't want such a tool since it basically slows down every process of buffing, repairing and rebuilding. It would be the typical can do everything but nothing good with anything tool which in terms of efficiency doesn't work too good. I can see your point though, but I can't think of a scenario where this would make much sense since buffing is most likely done before you enter battle and rarely on guns when in battle. In each case though I'd prefer faster rebuild power and extinguishing and have maybe  one buffgineer on board.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
What about an "active" buff tool? Basically, it's a tool that buffs a part instantly, as long as you're still pointing it at the part. If you move, or look a different direction, the buff disappears. So then you have the choice between a passive buff you can walk away from, but takes a lot of time to build, or an active buff you can apply instantly but that you must remain stationary to use.

Not necessarily advocating for such a thing, just brainstorming possible new engineer items.