Author Topic: Carronade visual/sound effects  (Read 22935 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Carronade visual/sound effects
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:47 pm »
These are gigantic, anti-ship rounds though, with a huge-ass barrel that has to be bolted down to the side of the ship.  Shotguns are fucking loud and everything needs to be overly complicated and flashy in steampunk.  And those flechettes need to be made out of brass for good measure with tiny little propellers just to put the shoes on the mechanical flea.
If you look at the damage types Flechette is almost useless against armor while being very useful against balloon. Like wise Piercing is very useful against armor but very useless against balloon. To me it makes sense that the carronades shoot thousands of tiny darts that ventilate the balloon in hundreds of places, but can not go more than an inch into armor plate. While a high velocity bullet can go though a foot of armor, but leaves one small easy to repair hole in the balloon.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:20 pm »
These are gigantic, anti-ship rounds though, with a huge-ass barrel that has to be bolted down to the side of the ship.  Shotguns are fucking loud and everything needs to be overly complicated and flashy in steampunk.  And those flechettes need to be made out of brass for good measure with tiny little propellers just to put the shoes on the mechanical flea.
If you look at the damage types Flechette is almost useless against armor while being very useful against balloon. Like wise Piercing is very useful against armor but very useless against balloon. To me it makes sense that the carronades shoot thousands of tiny darts that ventilate the balloon in hundreds of places, but can not go more than an inch into armor plate. While a high velocity bullet can go though a foot of armor, but leaves one small easy to repair hole in the balloon.

That doesn't mean it can't be flashy while doing it.  We only need it to be realistic enough to suspend disbelief,  and IRL shotguns loaded with birdshot do something somewhat similar and are still loud as fuck.  The idea is that it's a gigantic, oversized shotgun, a cannon with steampunk-improved grapeshot.  It should be one of the flashiest and loudest explosions to make up for its lack of animation.

EDIT:  It's also possible to visually show the oversized flechettes flying out of the gun instead of it being a hitscan weapon, give off a show similar to the Hwacha complete with whistling.  It doesn't HAVE to be big and loud, but it does have to be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:19:26 pm by Helmic »

Offline teweedo

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 12:12:45 am »
I agree with Helmic.

While I understand the flèchette ammo I don(t see it as a problem that should prevent the Carronade from being enjoyable to shoot with.

Altough my choice of pic may not be the best I have to admit I did not find a good one with a true Carronade firing. But you get the idea. Something impressive, one way or another, should comes out of the carronade. When you fire flèchette rounds with a regular shotgun it is still loud and have recoil. A gigantic twin shotgun, no matter the ammo, should have a nice animation and sound to go with.

And even without this, it is a game where immersion nd visual feelings are important so I would really appreciate to have a little sound and visual change on this fantastic weapon.

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:46 am »
!Bump!

Anyone else up for some carronade's love? hehe

Offline Cpt. Yami

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:25 am »
"Back in the days" the Carronade used to fire big black bombs which may or may not have had skulls 'n crossbones on them, just saying

Technically they were a class of artillery similar to the mortar or the howitzer, who shoot with a high trajectory, made for ships. Unlike in GoIO now thought they were very effective against hulls, just like in beta but then they decided to change that. For obvious reasons ofcourse.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:54 am »
"Back in the days" the Carronade used to fire big black bombs which may or may not have had skulls 'n crossbones on them, just saying

Technically they were a class of artillery similar to the mortar or the howitzer, who shoot with a high trajectory, made for ships. Unlike in GoIO now thought they were very effective against hulls, just like in beta but then they decided to change that. For obvious reasons ofcourse.

No I mean, "back in the days" in the game. In the earliest parts of beta. Heh

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:00 am »
^ that must have been sweet, do you have any pictures of that?

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 09:26:30 am »
hrm, I'll have a look around and see if I'll find something

EDIT: I looked around a bit, checking old gameplay videos, but alas I couldn't find anything.. also due to my internet suddenly becoming really slow at loading
Though I found this (not sure if it's the actual bomb that was shot though):
and yes, it probably would have been epic if all the weapons hadn't been shooting white lines instead of particle effects  :U
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:08:49 pm by Sgt. Spoon »

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:38 am »
^ ahh nice, that's awesome, thanks for the search

Offline Jinrai

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »
they should rename the carranade  '' the coughing dog ''

what about 'heavy breathing dog' :P

I agree with everything said here. Flinging kilo's of high-velocity shrapnel should have more visual and auditorial boom.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »
^ ahh nice, that's awesome, thanks for the search
np :)

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:27 pm »
they should rename the carranade  '' the coughing dog ''

what about 'heavy breathing dog' :P

I agree with everything said here. Flinging kilo's of high-velocity shrapnel should have more visual and auditorial boom.

Heavy Breathing Dog for the twin carronade and Coughing Dog for the small one, sounds fitting lol

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:23 am »
Bump!

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 01:24:35 am »
Guns of Icarus Online Update Released