Author Topic: Carronade visual/sound effects  (Read 22929 times)

Offline teweedo

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
Carronade visual/sound effects
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »
Hello there,

I'd like to make a small suggestion about the Hellhound and Bark Dog Carronades.

As it stands now those two weapons are really underwhelming in term of visual and sound effects in my humble opinion.

The Hellhound is supposed to be a huge twin shotgun and the Bark dog a powerful small shotgun. Yet when you are using them it feels like you are just throwing powder at your target. As a gunner it is really disappointing to use them. While others guns are very satisfying and gorgeous to play I feel like the Carronade could get some visual and sound effects improvements.

What I suggest for the Hellhound :

- Louder and more "aggressive" sound effect
- Heavy visual recoil and camera shaking
- Remove the visual white powder shots to replace with a fireshot effect

What I suggest for the Bark Dog

- Louder sound effect
- Small camera shaking

Thoughts gentlemen?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:51:19 pm by teweedo »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronade visual/sound effects
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:54:31 pm »
Interesting... I never really paid that much attention... imo, it would be a distraction that I might never notice due to actual combat. But again... it's the subtle things that make a game truly immersive

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:40 pm »
I can't disagree.  Both the Manticore and the carronades require little aiming effort from the gunner; the former is fun as hell to use because you get an impressive animation and lots and lots of explosions and hit confirmations and messages about disabling everything on the enemy ship.  The carronades?  The most you'll get are "asshole at a birthday party" cracks.  There's no animation, the hit is instant (which is weird as hell, why wouldn't it shoot like grapeshot?), and you just kinda get a soft boom.  It's incredibly tame.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »
I still remember the first time I used the carronade. I didn't feel like I was hitting anything, since, as you said, it just looked like a bit of powder being flung. I've gotten used to it now, and I'm not sure what type of change would work well, but it would be interesting to see something new there.

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:29 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to see the Carronade get some (visual/sound) love ! Let's hope the devs gives it a go if they agree about it  :D

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:15 am »
Ok, glad to know I wasn't alone on this too.  It is underwhelming, first time I fired it I thought it was glitched.  It takes a bit of getting use to, but even then it's still a little disarming, the powderpuff gun.

Offline teweedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:58:36 pm »
^ lol @ powderpuff gun, my sentiment exactly.

The devs made an amazing game and these two guns are great, I wish we had the visual enjoyment we get with others guns.

Here is  bit of what the firing shot should looks like in my humble opinion :

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »
Now that's a gun.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:02 pm »
While i do agree the Carronade could use more "umph" in its animation, that pic looks much like a lumberjack to me.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:55:25 pm »
While i do agree the Carronade could use more "umph" in its animation, that pic looks much like a lumberjack to me.

You need to put a banging donk on it.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:08:06 pm »
they should rename the carranade  '' the coughing dog ''

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »
A flechette is a tiny dart, here is a picture of some shotgun shells with flechettes.

The understated whump is what I expect to hear when 1000 of these go flying off into the distance.

What I really like is the smack sound they make against the balloon. It sounds like a wall of tiny particles just ran into stretched cloth.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »
A flechette is a tiny dart, here is a picture of some shotgun shells with flechettes.
-picsnip-
The understated whump is what I expect to hear when 1000 of these go flying off into the distance.

What I really like is the smack sound they make against the balloon. It sounds like a wall of tiny particles just ran into stretched cloth.

These are gigantic, anti-ship rounds though, with a huge-ass barrel that has to be bolted down to the side of the ship.  Shotguns are fucking loud and everything needs to be overly complicated and flashy in steampunk.  And those flechettes need to be made out of brass for good measure with tiny little propellers just to put the shoes on the mechanical flea.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:52 pm »
"Back in the days" the Carronade used to fire big black bombs which may or may not have had skulls 'n crossbones on them, just saying

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
"Back in the days" the Carronade used to fire big black bombs which may or may not have had skulls 'n crossbones on them, just saying

Why is this not a thing.  No question mark.