Author Topic: General Tool Slot and New Tools  (Read 7408 times)

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
General Tool Slot and New Tools
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »
This idea is a result of this thread.

It seems no one else wanted to start it so I will. So here it is.

The General Tool slot idea.
 I'll quote myself for some of it.
I like that idea Zill. A general tool slot that anyone can use with new tools.

With everyone clamoring about new guns and ships, we seem to have overlooked how important tools are. Maybe open a suggestion thread for new tool ideas?

And if that's happening maybe the Spyglass should be placed in that category.

I know you like having it as a pilot tool, but it's the only tool in GoIO that's not limited by what your role is.

All Engineer tools are used for repairing, all Gunner tools are ammo (only affect guns), and all the rest of the Pilot tools can only be used on the helm.

So a few things that the General Tool slot will do.

1. Spyglass will be moved to this category
           2. New tools to be introduced
           3. These tools should not give bonuses that will make a role more powerful but rather to introduce new styles of play (e.g. something that will reduce reload time or cooldown time would not be advisable)

So here's my ideas for a new tool that would fit here.

Pneumatic Boots: Provides a 20% jump boost while the tool is in use OR (I'm still undecided) it will provide the ability to double jump. Only has 2 boost per clip with 60 sec reload.

I know this seems to offer advantages only to the Engineer but I think it would help the Gunner and Pilot too.

One of the reasons a Gunner won't leave his gun or a Pilot his helm, is that it takes time to get back.

For example: on a Pyramidion the Gunner rarely uses the side guns because of the climb back to the front gun.

Now, this idea needs more ideas to make it awesome.

Have at it!

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: General Tool Slot and New Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »
–A rangefinder. Something that tells you the distance of a marked target, nothing more.
–A mini-flare gun to light clouds. Not as bright as a ship-mounted flare gun, nor as long range, but enough to be serviceable. Could maybe set a 1stack of fire if it hits a ship. Medium reload time (30secs?).
–Something to increase movement speed (on foot) by X% (rocket-propelled roller skates, maybe? =p). Could have limited duration and a recharge time.
–Smoke bomb. Similar to a few seconds of tar, but without the damage. Long recharge time.
–Can of oil. A small, short buff to the rotation speed of a gun or output of an engine (10-20% for 20 secs maybe). 2 charges, medium to long recharge time.

All i've come up with for now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:19:55 pm by naufrago »

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »
I support the idea of a general tool slot, but a wealth of new items would have to be created to fill in the gaps left by the spyglass departure and generate variety in the general slot (like those mentioned in the original post that spawned this).

Offline Cloudrunner

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:57:11 pm »
Another cool range finder style tool would be a device that allows you to mark which ship you're targeting with a priority designation, so your team could focus fire and assign targets.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:55 am »
Another cool range finder style tool would be a device that allows you to mark which ship you're targeting with a priority designation, so your team could focus fire and assign targets.

Brilliant idea.  But just make this an additional Pilot's tool  - it might even be worth a slot on the Captains toolbar, when the spyglass fell from favour with most Captains a long time ago.  Or, make it a Gunner's tool (they need some non-ammunition tools) and the value of Gunners will rise significantly.

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:56:15 am »

Brilliant idea.  But just make this an additional Pilot's tool  - it might even be worth a slot on the Captains toolbar, when the spyglass fell from favour with most Captains a long time ago.  Or, make it a Gunner's tool (they need some non-ammunition tools) and the value of Gunners will rise significantly.

I like this quite a bit. Of course, if its a gunner tool then I'll take it as pilot most times...

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
If you split stuff into general, then what would be the point of the pilot tools for the crew? (Leave it to me to question my own ideas, lol)

Maybe have it so you have to pick between the tools you want. Ex: As pilot, I get my pilot tools, and have to pick among general/gunner/engie and limit one per role and a max of two.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
Perhaps General Tools could just be equipped in any slot? That doesn't seem like it would be overpowered, since you would forego a lot of other utility in most cases. So pilots might take a general tool instead of ammo, engis would take a general tool instead of a pilot tool, and gunners would do the same as an engi AND potentially take a general tool instead of a 3rd ammo type.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:27:22 pm by naufrago »

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »
Perhaps General Tools could just be equipped in any slot? That doesn't seem like it would be overpowered, since you would forego a lot of other utility in most cases. So pilots might take a general tool instead of ammo, engis would take a general tool instead of a pilot tool, and gunners would do the same as an engi AND potentially take a general tool instead of a 3rd ammo type.

I like that idea

Offline Cloudrunner

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »

I like that idea

Ditto.