Author Topic: Ship stabilization  (Read 8957 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Ship stabilization
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »
As I've been practicing, I've noticed that one can never really bring the ship to a full and complete stop. There's always a small amount of momentum - be it horizontal, vertical, or rotational - and one can never ever hope to "bump" the controls enough to get the ship to hold still.

I'd like to see a keybind added that applies a small amount of deceleration to all movements, allowing the pilot to bring his/her ship to a 100% complete halt. This would only be usable if one is manning the helm, and it would only work for directions that aren't being adjusted by the typical controls. For instance, if the pilot has the throttle on and is turning but isn't adjusting their altitude, then this button would only stabilize the altitude. Or, if the pilot is adjusting their altitude but has the throttle off and isn't turning, then the key will halt any horizontal and rotational movement.

Obviously this can't be so overpowered as to be a go-to emergency brake. I think that the deceleration value should be no more than 50% of the normal acceleration value for any given movement - possibly only 25%. This way, if you're trying to stop from ramming into something, it would actually be more effective to drop to full reverse than it would to hold this key down. This is only meant as a means to stabilize a ship that is still moving a bit even after zeroing out the controls.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship stabilization
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »
This already exists: to stop yourself from turning, use moonshine or kerosene to increase angular drag. To stop the ship from drifting forwards or backwards, use phoenix claw to increase longitudinal drag.

Offline Kharthynogus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
All that does is damage my engines in the process and prevent me from using any other piloting tools.

It's a workaround, but not really a permanent solution. :P

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:49 pm »
Stopping requires skill, and realisticly no airship would ever be able to stay completely still. A tool like that has been talked about, but it's honestly way more interesting to see how people utilize what already exists.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:19 pm »
Even when you're completely stopped, you'll still sway up, down, left and right a bit. Then there are some maps with wind that constantly push you in a certain direction. Learning to compensate for ship movement is a required skill for this game. Pilots and gunners just have to adapt.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:49:39 am »
Try impact buffers - as well as their intended effect they reduce motion smoothing out changes in direction, I use them on Desert Scrap if I'm planning to park a Mobula in the CP as there are vicious up and down draughts there which are lethal for the big floaty sideboard.

As to the Claw and Keroshine. If you pulse them (toggle them off and on) you get the benefits for longer, also true for continued use at any other time.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:55:56 am »
Try impact buffers - as well as their intended effect they reduce motion smoothing out changes in direction, I use them on Desert Scrap if I'm planning to park a Mobula in the CP as there are vicious up and down draughts there which are lethal for the big floaty sideboard.

But doesn't it only affect engine output? It works as a brake, but not a momentum-killer.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 02:38:17 am »
Inertia.  Blame Newton.

But please, let's not make this game too easy.  It is possible to learn how to bump the engines to control your drift, but it comes with practice.

Get some flying hours under your belt.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 02:41:00 am »
But doesn't it only affect engine output? It works as a brake, but not a momentum-killer.

it does affect engine output but it also has the effect of reducing the effects of impact if you bump into something you don't ricochet wildly around, by extension it does seem to stabilise wind drift perhaps by means of how the game considers wind ie a force being applied by the ship.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 03:15:17 am »
I think an idea like this is just not very necessary seeing as, regularly, you're always able to bring the ship to a basically stand-still, and any slight movement due to wind is just an intentional hazard which getting rid of would serve no purpose.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 03:19:19 am »
You need to drop the anchor to get it to a full stop. And when you don't have one you can't. Also It's really unnecesary, you get the feeling for it after a while

Offline Kharthynogus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:00 pm »
Fair points all around.

Also, I'm aware of the constant little bit of bobbing that goes on. I don't mind that at all. It adds a flavorful realism to the game and is easy to compensate for.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »
I wanted the same thing when I was messing about in practice mode, just so I could get used to flying and shooting. In the actual game you will be attached to the helm making constant small corrections except under the most extreme circumstances. It is actually one of the more advanced piloting skills to put the ship on "autopilot" long enough for the pilot to leave the helm and accomplish something without loosing gun arcs. Usually it is helping to rebuild the balloon or  hull.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:29:24 pm by HamsterIV »