Author Topic: Leaver penalty  (Read 51884 times)

Offline Rumzie

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Leaver penalty
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 05:02:46 pm »
All we need for this is more rewards for staying. I've played plenty of matches while getting stomped early and end up winning because most times I'm with beginners and it's simply a knowledge issue. So I explain how the ship operates and they go ham trying as best they can and it's great. I've also been in games where I've been stomped by a very well practiced enemy ship and although frustrating to try and counter the ships tactics and failing I always tell them good game and nice rig you guys did good. Then I usually end up adding them as friends and playing with them on a raincheck basis. I think humans can teach humans better than any computer can. I don't think as a community all of us have stepped it up to be idled upon. I don't think Muse is going to have all the answers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:04:22 pm by Rumzie »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 01:00:25 am »
Could just make it so leaving mid-game means no progress toward achievements thus holding back levels if you do it consistently.

I mean, i'm as tired as anyone of people leaving mid-game, but it needs to reward staying over punishing leaving.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04:34 am »
It comes donw to why we even have the reccomendation feature. Other then for a achievement chain it doesn't really do anything. There should be a better rewarding solution for the guys who play good and stay.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:42 am »
Teaching people how to abandon a match maybe is good tute fodder?

Also I was in a match yesterday where 1 ship ditched enmassse  and I encouraged the other to abandon - our team still had to kill 5 ships to end the match because of the all AI ship which didn't officially "Abandon". Perhaps putting in a timer so that after x amount of time that nobody spawns into a Marie Celeste the match ends.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:02:18 am by Calico Jack »

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 05:05:24 am »
Though actually just thinking about it - this and the "gogogogoreadyupffs" are perhaps bad habits being learned in level locked matches.

Offline Ventidius

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 06:03:29 am »
Could just make it so leaving mid-game means no progress toward achievements thus holding back levels if you do it consistently.

I mean, i'm as tired as anyone of people leaving mid-game, but it needs to reward staying over punishing leaving.

Pretty much this, no progress for you if you do not finish the map.

Would not punish you if you had to leave due to RL issue XYZ (you wouldnt care, more important matters etc).
Ragequitters would find themselves left behind in progress, so it might "encourage" them to stick around and actually finish the map.

That said though, I have a hard time understanding why you would want to leave if not pressed with other immediate concerns: Matches last on average ~15 mins or so, is it so hard to sit that one out? Or at least try to make something work? You spend more time looking for a new lobby regardless, might as well make the best of it.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:50 am »
why you would want to leave if not pressed with other immediate concerns:

DcDs are one reason another would be the pilot disappears and your ship is getting pwned, aka a rout in military lingo.

Offline Duzzyy

• Salutes: 1
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:53 am »
I agree that there should be something in place to discourage people from leaving as I find a ship full of AI engineers to be quite troublesome to destroy.

A system like this that was put in place in LoL completely put me off from the game because when I left for real reasons I would then come back to find myself temporarily banned because I left a game.

Though a system like this would help games go better, it wouldn't only discourage new players but it may start to make people who already play the game to leave as a whole.

But if a system was put in place to give a little title at the end of the persons name like 'Duzzyy [:(]' or something and if you play a certain number of games it will go away may encourage people to play the game for longer and start to enjoy it making them not want to leave

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
I think all we really need is an indicator of percentage of matches completed right up front on people's profiles. This would give other players an idea of how "loyal" a given player is. Perhaps there could even be a badge that changes based on how loyal you are:

70-79% = uncommon loyalty
80-89% = valiant loyalty
90-99% = extreme loyalty
100% = unconditional loyalty

Overall, I agree that we should focus on rewarding loyal players instead of punishing disloyal ones. I just came from a match where two crewmen constantly badmouthed their captain to the point where the captain left right after their next death. Can you really blame him for that?

Offline Duzzyy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
While this would be a good idea to reward good players I feel the people who consistantly leave gaes should have something happen to them to encourage to see a game out. Maybe if in the future the game had a ingame currency that you get at the end of a game, that could mean if you leave the game before you finish means you don't get anything

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:32 pm »
What would be the purpose of said currency?

Offline Duzzyy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 02:43:46 pm »
The same as every other game, character customization or ship customisation and access to higher level maps maybe

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
Maps: not going to happen. Muse wants to make sure that everybody has all gameplay options unlocked from the start.

Customization: sounds good on paper, but there are a few problems with that. Muse already gives loads of stuff away for free (via Fight the Devs matches, levels, tournaments, and more), and the money they make off the stuff they sell goes towards the development of new ships, maps, weapons, etc.

Offline Duzzyy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 03:26:10 pm »
Maybe a World of Tank approach with upgrades for ship and a ship and class tool leveling system, so the more games you leave the less likely you are to the better things.

Kharthynogus' loyal rating is a good idea, but other than that I can't think of something that could fit the game

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:54 pm »

Overall, I agree that we should focus on rewarding loyal players instead of punishing disloyal ones. I just came from a match where two crewmen constantly badmouthed their captain to the point where the captain left right after their next death. Can you really blame him for that?

There are a lot of reasons to leave a game from raging, getting bullied by crews, getting stuck with teams that do not take the match seriously, or an emergency in real life. The fact is we cannot punish people for leaving because we do not know the reason why they leave some of the times. A reward system would be better then a reputation system in this case. I personally do not want to get bad reputation score for having to rush a family member to the hospital.