Author Topic: New Competitive scene Squid Racing Skirmishes  (Read 15710 times)

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
New Competitive scene Squid Racing Skirmishes
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »
In the rules of the new competitive scene written by Keyvias https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArCXRuoOqVIMdHU4akg0UkV5REpzb3JtR3lRbFNzcWc&usp=sharing
it says a skirmish could be a squid race as long as both teams agree to the match.

I thank you Keyvias!

Please think of me as the official Squid Race official.
By the rules teams do not need my involvement at all to squid race for points, but I am offering to oversee, facilitate, cast, and referee any and all squid race skirmishes.

Here are the squid racing rules: (teams can choose to have altered rules if both teams agree)
-Racers must go through every checkpoint on the map in order before completing the lap.
-If you die you are out of the race.  For longer races (multiple labs) special rules for dying will be written.
-no TAR, GATING, MERCURY, MINES, or CARRONADES.  Trust me, the race is hard enough without them.  Some tracks will allow all weapons.

Friday Races:
Every friday at 3pm EST (GMT-3) there will be an up to 6 ship race with only on ship per team allowed (weather this will grant you a point for winning is up to Keyvias. please replace this txt with the answer)
Ship spots are first come first serve but a full ship can kick a ship with AI crew out of the race if there are not enough spots.

TRACKS SO FAR!

Fjords Track 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGpARCkco4&feature=share&list=UUQuR0B-HhVm-YhxqNwuyCtg

Canyon Track 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XktNaMvng&feature=share&list=UUQuR0B-HhVm-YhxqNwuyCtg

Dunes Loop 1

Please watch the videos to learn the tracks.

For now the friday races will be Canyons track one week then Fjords track the next week and so on.

If you would like to set up a skirmish and don't have anyone to challenge write below. 
If you have already contacted a team and want to race them PM me and we will set everything up.
If you want to sign up for the Friday races, post your ship and crew here. you can only sign up for the fallowing friday. First come first served.
Any questions PM me or post below.

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: New Competitive scene Squid Racing Skirmishes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:35 am »
Squid racing is not a established event simply because no one signs up.  I've tried many times and ways to get it going (10 forum pages worth) plus the time making tracks and videos of the tracks.  :-[

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:48 am »
 to be honest with you, i still occasionally push the idea of squid racing in the office when ever i can especially around when i saw the original squid racing topic.  then again i just like the idea in general. mind you in my head i picture it a little more then just squid racing, and actually racing of different types of ships with courses designed around there maneuverability using some kind of check point system (maybe similar to how capture points work in a sense). mind you i'm not making any promises here that it would eventually become a thing, just that i'd just love to see this become a real thing if we ever had the time and resources to do it. 

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
to be honest with you, i still occasionally push the idea of squid racing in the office when ever i can especially around when i saw the original squid racing topic.  then again i just like the idea in general. mind you in my head i picture it a little more then just squid racing, and actually racing of different types of ships with courses designed around there maneuverability using some kind of check point system (maybe similar to how capture points work in a sense). mind you i'm not making any promises here that it would eventually become a thing, just that i'd just love to see this become a real thing if we ever had the time and resources to do it. 

It does seem like all the hard parts are already done. All you have to do is fiddle with the check point system, duplicate some maps and change some spawns, and you have increased the game content by %33 at least.

Run a 10 day kickstarter for over time money, BBQ, and booze. Then bang it out over a weekend.

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:51 pm »
Yup, this could be another type of a matching based on same game stuff we already have

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 22
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:04:22 pm »
In the rules of the new competitive scene written by Keyvias

*cough* it was morbie *cough*

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:20 pm »
You know, you should totally organise an official squid racing tournament.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:40:18 pm »
Somebody else would have to do it, seeing as Jace doesn't play anymore.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
Well someone definitely should. Squid racing needs to be a thing.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:04:57 pm »
Cake's got some Squid pilots.

We might be up for an official tournament.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »
Just a message to LordFunPants: Create some gates with balloons above them that players would have to fly through. Place along map. Profit. Come on, you know you want it.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:24:53 am »
you know, some time ago one of the programmers here was setting up tutorials, and i figure with it being new at the time and knowing nothing about it (hey,  i was stuck in artist land faarr away from designer land) i gave it a shot. . i did the pilot tutorial and it was like "fly to this spot" and i flew to this spot. . and then my mind was blown, . OOOH MAAHH GAWD THIS IS A CHECK POINT SYSTEM. . . so i went up to said programmer and was like. . . thats a check point system you just made. . . and he nodded. you can add more check points to this and make players follow a path. . and he nodded. .  . with some time and some resources . . and he nodded. . . 

sadly time and resources is the actual hard part in the whole thing. (considering even my hopes were raised but a billion and one things are happening, and they all got higher priority then me trying to push squid racing ^^;) , hey who knows maybe i could convince someone to make it into a adventure mode quest of some kind, squid racing tournaments to gain prestige of some kind for your faction. though like i've said earlier, i always picture having various ships with courses based on there abilities, . . who knows, pyramidion drag races?  Mobula surfing the floor of canyons races? Galleon umm. . nevermind about galleon. . .

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:37:17 am »
Galleon sumo wrestling. That's what we need.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 01:04:47 am »
and now i just pictured somehow using harpoons to pull/swing another ship into a "lose" zone . . .

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:21:43 pm »
It's a very interesting idea. Seems fun and I'll look into asking OVW if they would be interested in a squid race skrim with another group. :3