Author Topic: Bigger Ship For Bigger Groups  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Skiip

• Salutes: 0
    • [Blg]
    • View Profile
Bigger Ship For Bigger Groups
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:41:23 pm »
You should add add a bigger ship like a 6 manner so groups of six can be playing in the same boat. It needs to be Slow but will have better firepower. It should be like a bigger galleon.  :)

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger Ship For Bigger Groups
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:29:17 pm »
This has been discussed at length.

Essentially the game is balanced towards 4 man crews and the dev team has enough work to do keeping up with the current issues surrounding balance, not to mention their work on the continuing development of the game and adventure mode.

Also, practically, it can be difficult enough to cobble together a crew of 4, let alone 6. Which means at maximum, you'd need 36 people in a single lobby! Even on a Galleon, two people can generally man all of the guns worth firing. One if you've got an amazing gunner (this is a little more dependent on the guns you place down there).

As a captain, the though of coordinating more than three people why trying to fly a ship even more brick-like than the Galleon or Pyra is just not my idea of a good time!

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:11:21 pm »
As a captain, the though of coordinating more than three people why trying to fly a ship even more brick-like than the Galleon or Pyra is just not my idea of a good time!

But...what about the quick join powder monkeys!! Wouldn't it be even more awesome to have 5 of them on one massive ship that moves like poop through a funnel?!! ;D

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »
if both captains of a team can join forces to man one big 8-man ship, why not ? xD

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:39:20 am »
Maybe they could combine like Voltron. In all seriousness though I've been under the impression that Adventure mode will, more or less, be a whole new beast and if we see bigger player controlled ships that would be the time and place for them.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 03:26:11 am »
I remember this being discussed before. For the skirmish mode I don't think ships manned by six would be a good idea. The balancing would need to be reconsidered. The ships siize would be much too big for some maps to maintain a certain fairness and difficulty for the engineer. With two gunners and two engineers it would be a perma shooting ship with all around repairs. even for the player itself it would become boring. The challange would not fit with the  current ones avaible.

Offline Ninjamanj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:12:15 pm »
Why not have two completely different groups of battles. There would be the group with all four man ships and groups with bigger 6 or 8 man ships. The 6 or 8 man ship group would have slightly larger maps The ships would have 2-3 main engines and 4-6 turning engines and maybe(this is a BIG maybe) 2 different balloon stations. You would not have to worry about balancing cause they would be in two completely different matches. maybe for the people that really want to they can take a four man ship to a 6-8 man ship fight but that would be for the most pro of players. Many people would still play the 4 man ship cause yes it would be less people running around managing the ship and manning guns but some would like Lots of guns and lots of people. Honestly i would love the bigger ships cause it would be a challenge for the commander. Also with the 6-8 man ships why not have a second in command? someone that can order just the engineers around, order the gunners around, or assist the Commander in decisions.

Offline Ninjamanj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
I just had another idea. A New game mode that would rely on bigger ships, here is the idea:

basic name(could be improved): Kill the commander

Teams(could change): 2-4 small 4 man ships and 1 large 6-10 command ship.

Goal: Kill the large ship (or after a certain time a capture point would be available for capture to win.)

Rules: Re-spawns are infinite until the command ship dies. Once Command ship is dead all other ships on that team would have only their current ship to use(would not be able to re-spawn). (Once point is capped game is done.)

Command ship: Multiple variations with different weapon placements speed and armor(similar to normal 4 man ships) They would have 2-3 Main engines and 4-6 turning engines. 1-2 balloon stations (big maybe this next one)1-2 armor stations.

Specialty stations to the command ship: A command table that the commander could use for easy commanding of allied ships and for a visual representation of the battle field without having to go into map. Auto-repair station(maybe) would slowly repair the ship automatically after no damage is taken for a certain amount of time.

How to become command ship commander: So that some noob does not take the place of Command ship commander everyone on that team would vote on who should be the command ship commander.

These are just ideas and can be altered if you believe something needs to be altered. If you think something should change just post a reply and others can see that.

Offline Rumzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
This would honestly cause too much confusion. The coordination required would most only be crewed by a pre-made group. But the biggest fundamental problem is potentially having 7 guns firing at one time, you would dominate the battlefield no question. I don't think any of us really understand it's potential until that was implemented into the game. Albeit though I foresee more problems than enjoyment, it doesn't even have to be about a balancing issue.

Offline Captain Rico

• [SKH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 01:59:17 am »
Two words: Crimson Skies

Okay, now let me clear that up.
Two teams with airplanes and one big zeppelin that's also the mobile spawn point and the target that needs to be destroyed by the other team.

That really really big ship is damn slow, got two balloons (i love that idea ^^), 2-3 main engines, 4-6 secondary engines (in pairs), 3 broadside weapons on both sides und two light guns on top.
The guns the big airship uses are really big, really slow and dont do any damage to the normal ships. They're only made for damaging the other "command ship".
The modules would take longer to get repaired/rebuilt and the crew is bigger (6?). The command ship's captain is the commodore/admiral who got the command of the fleet.
(Or: The commodre is the 7th crew member with an alternated UI. he does not see broken modules but damaged ships and their locations. Standing on the deck with his spyglass, giving commands...that would be so epic >_< )