Author Topic: Spyglass Alternative Item Idea  (Read 13995 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Spyglass Alternative Item Idea
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »
That would be good for high level players that can translate 800 meters to lumberjack tick 1.7 or what ever the proper range is, but I am not sure the average players would be able to make use of it. Having a new cross-hare appear on the hud would help new gunners learn the ranges easier. Also it would help spotting for situations where cloud cover is partially obscuring a ship but a crew member can still see it. The downside is the dot goes away when the user puts the tool away, and will give a bad shot drop reading if the aimer is pointing at a rock near the target as opposed to the target.

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »
See I'm reading those descriptions and thinking how casual players will be moaning while you ruin them with mercs.

A grid system with numbers and ranges would look cool, but I think that's too much for folks out to have fun. If you experimented with it and could compensate for drop, yeah, that's a cool idea, but you'd make life hell on earth for newer players, especially with mercs.

A marked target would be waaaaaay too easy to abuse when it comes to range. Sure, it could be good for speeding up ranged battles, but that takes all the tactics and skill out of the game. Trial and error, corrections and mistakes are all part of the growing process in GoIO, and I just feel training wheels for gunners will never come off once they're on.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 07:18:44 pm »
Compensating for drop on the merc is already incredibly easy, so it actually wouldn't make much of a difference at all, honestly. It'd be way more of a problem with the lumberjack or anything else that has lots of drop.

I like Smollett's suggestion of a simple tool that gives a distance in metres.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »
Speaking of new captain items, I remember an 'ol suggestion I once had

Tyrants Whip
Pros: Improved shooting/repairing on whipping crewmembers
Cons: Having to leave the helm

Come on my fellow captains. Admit it! Wouldn't it be awesome to whip some sense into those powder monkeys?