Author Topic: Some of ye olde concept arts  (Read 18238 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Some of ye olde concept arts
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »
The howitzer would be hilarious to have on a ship. Pretending it would fit and such. I imagine that firing it would propel your ship backwards pretty violently.

I know that the original Guns of Icarus had Tesla weapons, but I'm fairly certain they decided to go a different route in GoIO and not put Tesla weapons in. It used to be a damage type, but was replaced at some point (with shatter I believe). The harpoon was an electric harpoon at some point, but has been changed; so it's pretty safe to say that they probably won't make an appearance in Skirmish. Adventure mode may be an entirely different story though.

I love that image of the GodLamp, and think it would make an epic heavy weapon. I could see it firing off a beam of light that does massive fire damage. The ammo might have to be the gun 'overheating' though or something like that. It might have to work through some kind of powered device. I don't think reflecting sunlight would work very well, what with all the foggy/dark maps and the balloon from the ship getting in the way.

As for beams of light themselves, they don't operate like lasers (unless you want to make it a laser cannon?). One example is the magnifying glass and the ants. Any sadistic child who's done this (all of you, don't lie) knows you need to hold it a certain distance from the ant, at the right angle. This is to get the ant at the focal point, where the area of the beam is the smallest, maximizing the energy/area. Then you get a cooked ant. Too far away and the light scatters about, too close and the focal plane is too large. You'll warm the ant up a bit, but you're not going to cook him.

Which would make this weapon very interesting. We already have weapons whose damage is based on relative distance. This one could be an extreme example of that. At the furthest point of it's effective range they could be taking max fire damage, while moving closer reduces it up until the point there is none. The gun could use some kind of light or power source as ammo instead of the sun.

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:17:23 am »
-snip-
You could still swing ammunition with the godlamp imo using replaceable lenses that melt with the heat of the weapon over time. The reload animation could have the lenses swing out of the central position to the side kind of like a opticians gauge (no idea what it's actually called) for the gunner to replace the overheated/melted lens.

As for damage increase/decrease, it could be handled in that the closer you are, the more stacks of fire it adds per "Shot" along with the consistent damage. That aside though, It would require balancing like a mofo. Basically an insta-hit weapon with laser accuracy...yeah, that would require some kind of tweaks to be legit.

I would love to see a smaller ship built around the howitzer :D similar to how the A-10 warthog is basically a gun given engines and a cockpit to direct it. Similarly, the weapon on the A-10 is so vicious that supposedly firing for more than 3 (or 6?) consecutive seconds while flying in a straight line would slow the plane enough to stall it out.

Could make for an amusing AI controlled boss or something.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:20:09 am by Kriegson »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:06 am »

I would love to see a smaller ship built around the howitzer :D similar to how the A-10 warthog is basically a gun given engines and a cockpit to direct it. Similarly, the weapon on the A-10 is so vicious that supposedly firing for more than 3 (or 6?) consecutive seconds while flying in a straight line would slow the plane enough to stall it out.

In some of the A-10 flight sim games you could do just that. It was awesome.

If Muse doesn't do it, you may see something like it crop up elsewhere. But I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such warships. Zar Belk RR!

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 04:33:08 pm »
I had an idea for how to build a ship around it, it was pretty standard and i would draw it out if I had art skills.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »
Old weapon concepts eh, how about one for the rocket launcher?
Oh and yeah it's rideable

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »
Old weapon concepts eh, how about one for the rocket launcher?
Oh and yeah it's rideable

Wow, I would love to ride rockets Dr. Strangelove style.  So thats why they added the cowboy hat costume!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
Looks like a really, really early hwacha concept.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:28 pm »
Well, yeah i kinda is. What would come to be the medium rocket launcher.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 04:51:42 am »
The howitzer would be hilarious to have on a ship. Pretending it would fit and such. I imagine that firing it would propel your ship backwards pretty violently.
New gunner ammo! More powerful than lochnager. Everyone knows guns that propel you backwards are badass.