Author Topic: Lobby Map/Dock  (Read 9799 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Lobby Map/Dock
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:52:10 am »
It'd be an interactive lobby that could replace the current text one. When you log in, you load the dock map and from there select your ship, fly around and organise your crew, teammates and matches.

In this map you can fly your selected ship around but can't shoot or damage anyone else. You can fly near ships, group together to form teams/clans, or dock with a platform. If there is a proper dock building, you could walk around it to find yourself a crew. There could be virtual billboards for people looking for crews, recent news from the developers, tournaments, etc.

Imagine it to be similar to that of EVE online and space stations. In EVE you can dock with a station and you then go into walking mode where you can walk around your quarters. When outside of the station you can talk to other people and sell/buy goods.

Thoughts?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Lobby Map/Dock
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:02 am »
I remember this was a topic on the thread for suggestions to muse.  In my typical manner I don't remember the specifics but I want to believe there are members on the Muse Team that want to make the lobby more interactive.
I always imagined it to be a pub on the sky front with a few docks and each of the ships lined up at a dock.  Could wander into the pub at various tables and play simple lobby games like chess, cards or dice.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:52 am »
Cool as hell, but as it is it's kinda hard to organize games.  Maybe something simpler where the lobby is made up like a bounty board hiring mercenaries, and the waiting room allowing you to run around on your ship while docked with an easy means to teleport to different ships.  We can't have the cool factor getting in the way of practicality.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:05:37 am »
I remember this was a topic on the thread for suggestions to muse.  In my typical manner I don't remember the specifics but I want to believe there are members on the Muse Team that want to make the lobby more interactive.
I always imagined it to be a pub on the sky front with a few docks and each of the ships lined up at a dock.  Could wander into the pub at various tables and play simple lobby games like chess, cards or dice.

The mini-games would be a distraction, but a fun twist.

Cool as hell, but as it is it's kinda hard to organize games.  Maybe something simpler where the lobby is made up like a bounty board hiring mercenaries, and the waiting room allowing you to run around on your ship while docked with an easy means to teleport to different ships.  We can't have the cool factor getting in the way of practicality.

As long as we get to play around on our ships/walk around somewhere, I'd be happy. Sitting in a text chatroom being spammed by everyone is boring.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:49:01 am »
Another commonly suggested feature. Would be quite fun to have, though it would probably take quite a lot of time from the devs.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:57:19 am »
Not to mention more server stress.  Things are working good right now, I really don't want to rock that boat.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:07 pm »
Not to mention more server stress.

They'd need a separate server for this. That way it wouldn't conflict with any of the gameplay servers and they can take it offline without impacting the entire ecosystem.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »

They'd need a separate server for this. That way it wouldn't conflict with any of the gameplay servers and they can take it offline without impacting the entire ecosystem.

Muse could use new servers for more useful things, like having one in Australia.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »

Muse could use new servers for more useful things, like having one in Australia.

In that case I will completely redact this suggestion! Thanks for the input!

(seriously man, you're not great at the "making friends" thing)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:08 pm »
I happen to disagree with your opinions. So what? I'm allowed to, aren't I?

And if you find my anywhere outside the feedback and suggestions section, I'm actually perfectly fine. I just get a bit touchy around here. Sorry if I come across as rude sometimes, but I'm just trying to say what I think is best for the game.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 06:20:31 am »
.. .. mission creep.. ..

Offline Mr.Mouse

• Salutes: 0
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:35 am »
Fine suggestion, but interface must be simple and clean.

Best game menu i found in Unreal Tournament 99: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UzKAU5Qr2q4/THNT7Er_ESI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/9l9AQsG3ZxM/s400/8.JPG
Just simple, not-so-shiny menu, like the menu in programs and OS. Usefull, fast, simple and clean.