Author Topic: Let's plan this news paper idea  (Read 30932 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's plan this news paper idea
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »
Well I'm sure if asking we could get access to the used parts of the Broadside Anchor, but I don't see how MUSE should support more than that.

The basic minimum support that Muse should provide is something like the asset kit provided for GW2 by arena.net

The media pack for GOIO is missing some fundemental basics for community generated promotion.  There isn't even a "clean" version of the logo available that I've found.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »
Ok, lets insanity check where we are right now

• Community Gossip
         The forming and dispanding of prominent clans in the game.  The coming and goings of Muse Staff, patch notes and release using an RP perspective.  EX:  Flak Cannon given a fuse timer/ Anvala Safety authorities have added a timer to Flak ammunition in response to the recent catastrophe at Acme Weapons Manufactures.  Ammunition will now be inert on loading and will have a second long flight time before going live.
  • Contests/Events
         Listing of events, upcoming along with faux holidays.  A good grab would be using prominent holidays from the earlier WW1 era that would still be celebrated or some non-American holidays that would add diversity to the scene.  For example, St. Davids Day a traditionally Welsh celebration which is happening today.
  • After Action Reports
         NEWS FROM THE FRONT!  Snippets of information from duels that are happening in the game, could be completely random.
  • Bountys
         A listing of the current bounty season results, short stories surrounding particular bounty heads, interviews of bounty hunters.
  • Sporting Events/The Cogs
         Here we given an account of the after action of sporting events, with links to streams.

Muse Support

Honestly, we don't need any MUSE support in this endeavor, it can be purely our own.  Open Office is a free to use Word Processor and can be downloaded at OpenOffice.org  By using the spreadsheet to create a template the articles can then be turned into a PDF in Adobe Reader.  We can supply our own art assets and screen shots such as End scores, match pre-fits for selected teams, pictures from the bounty board.

Setting the Concrete
If you're serious, and you really want to get in this boat, send me a PM on the forums stating what area you want to get involved in and what kind of contributions you want to, can, or would like help getting together.  I'm sacrificing my sanity to be the focal point of the intel gathering for now until we start to see who can actually lead this ship out into open waters.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:44:23 pm by Lord Dick Tim »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »
Just to make sure you don't get anything wrong about SMAC's situation, here are the facts:

-Spasmic Monkey is stepping down from his leadership position and giving GoIO a rest for a (long) while, since he's lost interest in the game.
-Hizumi is looking likely to grab the spot at the top of the clan, but it's not yet official.
-The clan is not dead. We still have a few active players, but others have been silent for quite a while.
-We're trying to assemble a team for Cogs, but it's been several days since we last discussed it and only 4 or 5 players have expressed interest.

That should be enough for a gossip article.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »
Well I'm sure if asking we could get access to the used parts of the Broadside Anchor, but I don't see how MUSE should support more than that.

The basic minimum support that Muse should provide is something like the asset kit provided for GW2 by arena.net

The media pack for GOIO is missing some fundemental basics for community generated promotion.  There isn't even a "clean" version of the logo available that I've found.

I guess they haven't come around to doing such a thing, since it isn't IMO that extremely important.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:09 pm »
I got 3 PMs so far and have set a task for each person and either they will go, alright YA! or say, wtf LDT I wanna do this instead.  Either way, it'll still be awesome.  Sunder donated that bit for the gossip and Pickle I've asked to work on a format.  Two others are working on editorials and whats left is a highlight on the bounty board.  I'll shoot a pm to some of the bounty heads for a bounty article.

We also need screenshots.  Mostly first person, with some third person.  I could gank them from steam or have some user submitted ones.  If you have anything completed you want to send me either PM me or send an attachmemt to the_kraikken@yahoo.com with the subject line, GOI Newspaper.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 11:47:43 pm »
We also need screenshots.  Mostly first person, with some third person.  I could gank them from steam or have some user submitted ones.  If you have anything completed you want to send me either PM me or send an attachmemt to the_kraikken@yahoo.com with the subject line, GOI Newspaper.

Anything you want captured in screenshots in particular?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:09 am »
Medium weapons and medium weapons firing.  Perfect screen shot would be over the shouder of a gunner hitting a target in the practice range.
A close up of a ships hull with the SMAC clan tag printed on its hull too, narrow shot.  That be good for the gossip portion.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:14:44 am »
I'm sure somebody can PhotoShop SMAC's name onto a ship. It would probably look crap if I tried to.

I'll do my best to find good screenshots.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:33 am »
I'm producing a mock-up concept them at the moment, if anyone wants to PM me text for a story then please do so.. I've generated quite a bit just from forum gossip.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:13 am »
This idea is progressing quite well behind the scenes.. ..

If any clans would like to submit news (change of leadership), match reports (beaten a rival clan?  beaten the Muse team?), adverts for new members, etc.  please PM me the details.  About 50 words is ideal.  At the moment we have a little gossip collected from the forums speculating on SMAC and King's Gambit - any official news might have a small chance to replace the scandalous rumours we're otherwise embellishing with sordid speculation.

If any of the Muse team want to play the role of Deep Throat and spill the beans on the details of ******'s saucy hotel room affair with ****** after the team's post-Steam Sale party, please drop me a PM (confirmation about the chicken, and is it true about the bellboy and the wet suit?).  Or just to leak some details of forthcoming builds, new maps or details of the new airships and when they'll be released.

If anyone else wants to submit a short item along the same lines, these are also welcome.

There is room in the layout for a letters section, ideally 50-150 words, if you have anything to say about the game or the game-world in general.

There is the possibility that there is room for fan art and fan fiction submissions.  Contact me or Lord Dick Tim if you have any material of this type.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:23:44 am »
this would be a really cool way of letting us see patch notes.

and in other news. there has been a ban on the incindiary type rocket manufactured for the banshee, and as a result. all banshees will be required to use the outdated *normal rockets

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
this would be a really cool way of letting us see patch notes.

and in other news. there has been a ban on the incindiary type rocket manufactured for the banshee, and as a result. all banshees will be required to use the outdated *normal rockets

How about putting that as a request in a letter to be published in the newspaper? ;)
- I'll pencil you in for 50 words.. ..

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:35 am »
well that would probbly have to be handled by whoever writes up the patch notes in the first place.

though it would really depend on the relise times of the paper and the relise times of patches

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »
Looks like you guys are off to a good start with this. :)

Just in case you're still waiting for a word from me, I say go ahead and make this your own...I still might bring back the Broadside Anchor someday, but I'd like to see something completely new created by you all.

As far as a fansite/community kit, Spoon is right and while we'd love to put one together someday, it just isn't something we've had a whole lot of time for. Heck, we still have a hard time tracking down things for our internal use!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:46 pm »
To add to the SMAC gossip...

We've lost another prominent player. I won't say who, since I respect them and don't know if they want to be mentioned, but it's not Hizumi. Maybe they'll they'll you themselves, but that's their choice.

Nobody's responded ever since I tried getting SMAC talking about Cogs, so I'm a bit worried about whether we'll even survive as a clan. I think that I'm going to see if anybody else wants to take me on their team for Cogs.