Author Topic: Weather system.  (Read 17499 times)

Offline The Creeping Sloth

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Weather system.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 04:10:30 am »
got warned before posting. but don`t want to start a new topic. want to add to this one, awesome ideas. would like to see a tornado raging through the desert, raising dust everywhere, and rearranging the dust clouds until the next tornado)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »
got warned before posting. but don`t want to start a new topic. want to add to this one, awesome ideas. would like to see a tornado raging through the desert, raising dust everywhere, and rearranging the dust clouds until the next tornado)

Seriously? You necroed a thread this old? XD

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• Salutes: 5
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:16 pm »
But it's damn fine topic! It deserves a resurrection. And there isn't anything changed about the game in this aspect too :3 

Soooo, yeah, umm, random weather effects FTW? I can imagine the cold desert nights in the Dunes. The chilly wind that blows the sand like shards of ice, burning every inch of your skin. Ooooh, that would be amazing the under the desert moon, glowing in the clear skies, as if mocking us. (Burst of excitement? Yes. And I regret nothing.)

Offline The Creeping Sloth

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 03:23:14 am »
I wasn`t really following this game for long, and have no idea about the engine. It seems that the engine might not be ready for such things. Can somebody clarify this, is it to early to ask for something like this, or is GoIO never be optimized enough to add awesome weather?? (tornadoes i particular)

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 06:13:44 am »
Tornado might be too drastic imo. And it's not like there are tornadoes happening in the desert everyday. Maybe occasional dust devils?

I'm mostly eager to see day/night cycles, and randomized weather effects. Like occasional wind, a blizzard in Northern Fjords, thunderstorm in Paritan Rumble, Dunes at night? Such and so forth.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 08:24:20 am »
mmm.  night could be awesome or terrible depending on implementation.  for example, if it is a full moon every night, and you can still see your surroundings well, it could potentially be awesome.  if there's a moon cycle dynamic, and we have nights around the new moon and can't see that building or canyon or dust storm right in front of your face, let alone a ship, that'd be horrible - and I'd rather have no nights at all than night cycles like that.  I don't even know if the game is capable of handling moon cycles, but I'm just putting out there right off the bat, I don't think it's a good idea.

otherwise I'm largely all for this.

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 09:43:29 am »
Dynamic day/night cycle might not be really viable, (if doable) and hard to balance. Maybe just adding night/day versions of the maps?

If you can't see where you're going, yeah that'll be frustrating.

Although, if there were headlights, that could be interesting as well. Oh, oh, here's an idea, what if, there were quite dark, not pitch black, but dark maps, and you had to make a choice between using headlights to increase your ability to see for the cost of visibility, against not using headlights, lamps, whatever and hoping there is no building in front of you, with the ability to sneak up on people? That could result in some interesting gameplay. Maybe? :3

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:57 am »
On top of that, maybe blinding enemy captains using this "headlights"? That could be an interesting mechanic as well. (I know I'm slightly drifting off topic, but hey, while we're at it, better to say it all :3 )

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 11:06:33 pm »
I do believe there's some sort of weather system changes coming! With Co-op.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »
I would definitely love a weather system in GOI, preferably where the lobby could decide on it by vote just like with the map so people vote for cayon ambush and then vote on the weather. It doesn't even need to be extreme weather just varying clouds and wind.
they could just have like 5 options to choose from
ex
Calm and clear: fewer clouds and calm winds
Sunny and windy: fewer clouds but strong winds
Run of the mill: normal weather for the map
Foggy: lots of clouds but calm winds
Stormy: lots of clouds and strong gusty winds

unfortunately i think this might be like multiply the number of levels by 5 and who knows if the servers could take that.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 05:44:49 am »
In real life, I have better night vision than daytime vision.

In most - but not all - games, that's also the case. When the screen dims for night-time, I'd probably have an easier time keeping track of enemy ships - even if the game doesn't add running lights to help make that job easier. For that alone, I'd love to see night maps. I have trouble keeping track of distant firefights, and this might make my job easier.

As for the weather, I won't say it's necessary or practical, but it would be REALLY cool to see even if there was just cosmetic rain with no real in-game effects. Light rain causing characters to slide slightly so you need to stop running a moment earlier than usual to land in front of that hull armour, heavier rain slowing down your movement, hailstorms causing minor damage across the ship, but slower and across the entire map... so many possibilities.

I definitely agree that anything gameplay-changing would need to be optional, and preferably vote-based. Maybe an additional "Weather: Yes/No" vote under the next map options.

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 12:25:22 pm »
But it is one year until the co-op comes out. Fishsticks! Fishsticks I tell you.

And besides, that doesn't necessarily mean that the weather effects won't come before the co-op, riiiight? Riiight? And on top of that, since they're working on the weather effects already, they can implement it to skirmish mode first to see how it all works out. After all the matchmaking patch hassle subsides, that is. :3