Author Topic: Pilot tools  (Read 13859 times)

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Pilot tools
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
Depends on a lot of factors. I'll always take phoenix claw (used to take kerosene in place of claw, but 1.3 makes that impossible now), and usually kerosene, but moonshine is better on a pyramidion imo. Great for ramming as well as defending against rams so you don't get completely turned around. As for the third slot, usually either chute vent or hydrogen, but if I see that I'm going up against carronades or lumberjacks, I'll take drogue chute. Not a big fan of tar, but sometimes I'll take it on a squid since I'm doing a lot of evading.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 06:29:48 pm »
Squash has some interesting opinions about this but I'll let him explain them himself, he knows more.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:42:52 pm »
I am not sure Phoenix claw is a good counter to a ram turning. Claw lowers your rotational drag which is what helps slow down a turn. I don't think the increased counter torque you get from claw balances out the loss of drag. Ideally you would use moonshine to cancel out the unwanted torque and start clawing when you are at neutral torque to get lined up again. Alternately you could use claw in the direction of the spin to pull a 270/360 faster than you could have done the counter spin.

I phrased it badly but the Claw is to change direction rather than resist moving in a different direction