Author Topic: Mobula component layout  (Read 29117 times)

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
Re: Mobula component layout
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »
I enjoy flying spires a lot, but in pug's it really depends on the shooting quality of the crew. If you have 2 people that can shoot at long ranges you can tear a new one into any enemy. Unfortunately I'd say only about 35% of random people can hit at long ranges with a mercury or flak.

On topic:
I like that the Mobula has 2 definite engineering zones - its different from other ships. Considering that it can lay out a massive amount of firepower (4 guns at once is not all that hard to pull off), it needs something to balance it out. The rear ladders should give the engineers a bit more engine flexibility at least.

Offline Demigo

• Salutes: 3
    • [URG]
    • View Profile
    • Unknown Random Guys
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 03:48:04 pm »
It may be made out of tissue paper but it can still hold its own. The other day I played in a spire with a goldfish as my ally (2 very squishy ships) against a galleon and pyramidion. We would actually charge ahead of the goldfish and go for a brawl coming out victorious 4 out of 5 times. When we died in the 5th brawl our ally managed to swoop in getting the score ending the game at 5 to 1.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »
Oh no, I don't underestimate its power at all. It's an extremely potent ship in the right hands.

I hate it because people make me go main engi on it. Honestly, I'd rather spend half an hour sitting in the lobby.

Yeah, the hull on the Spire is one of the most boring places to be in the game; and if you're being shot at you can't leave.  That's why I usually try to manufacture situations where my main can go work the top deck trifecta gun to make up for the banality that normally encompasses the role.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 04:08:19 pm »
It may be made out of tissue paper but it can still hold its own. The other day I played in a spire with a goldfish as my ally (2 very squishy ships) against a galleon and pyramidion. We would actually charge ahead of the goldfish and go for a brawl coming out victorious 4 out of 5 times. When we died in the 5th brawl our ally managed to swoop in getting the score ending the game at 5 to 1.
I don't doubt you can pull off good stuff with spires if you have a crew that knows what it's doing in regular matches. Tournament play is an entirely different animal though :P

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »
Sniper Spire in 2v2 will never work for the same reason SniperFish doesn't work, Mercuries eat it alive, it can't dodge sideways and its massive vertical hull ensures that if you don't take out its gun, the bullet will still find its target. It's also slow and hard to manuver with on the vertical axis due to the vertical profile. It's a very high risk ship and not worth the effort.

That said, it's still beautiful ship and if well protected can perform well, but it's not worth the risk most of the time since people can just forget about it and go with the much safer option that is the Galleon.

Yes I am implying that your enemies are not brickheads and actually know how to easily counter one of the most fragile ships in the game. At least in 2v2.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »
soooooooooooooo............ about them mobula component layouts.................

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 08:33:28 pm »
yes, yes, lets keep this about the mobula! stop reminding me about my track record so far in regards to ships and engineering >>;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 07:58:27 am »
As many others have suggested A hallway linking the other two would be a very nice addition. The hull could be moved to the top deck so as to not make things to easy. And it would go with that whole upside down theme.

Offline Demigo

• Salutes: 3
    • [URG]
    • View Profile
    • Unknown Random Guys
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:38 am »
The hull could be moved to the top deck so as to not make things to easy. And it would go with that whole upside down theme.

I think that this is genius! It makes sense too. The only problem with it is you might end up having 1 less gun shooting most of the time which in this ship spells death.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
I honestly think it's great the way it is. Shakes up everything and requires different engineering and gunning tactics. A Mob can be very flexible and switch roles nearly instantly.

I recognize it's super large mounts difficult to repair effectively, but I don't think it's broken and it's growing on me. I actually think I like it more than the Pyra right now, just because it's more fun to fly (I don't like driving a brick through the sky).

I don't engineer that much, but the little experience I have engineering on a mob has required me to run around a bit and shoot at stuff. Which is pretty much my experience engineering on most ships. Exception Goldfish.

Offline Generalissimo Kronch

• Salutes: 0
    • [CRUD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »
 I originally thought the Mobula was a nightmare the few times I found myself gunning on one, But I found with a pilot, A dedicated Engineer for the top decks, Works as long as the gunners have some form of hammer or wrench to buff, Fix or repair their respective spots as well. Been a few times where whacking on the engine with a pick in my spare time off the guns helped squeeze through tough spots.

I still don't like the danged thing but at least I'm semi useful when I'm stuck down there.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 02:58:20 pm »
I actually think I like it more than the Pyra right now, just because it's more fun to fly (I don't like driving a brick through the sky).

I enjoy flying it, not least because it presents a set of challenges different to how other ships handle in game.

Offline Ninjamanj

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 09:04:03 pm »
Isn't the Mobula supposed to be a ship that runs in guns blazing kills a person and gets out? One thing has no one though of the idea to have a passage way going straight from the Balloon repair station to the Hull station?

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »
Isn't the Mobula supposed to be a ship that runs in guns blazing kills a person and gets out? One thing has no one though of the idea to have a passage way going straight from the Balloon repair station to the Hull station?

I don't believe the Mobula is meant to run into anything, unless you wish to die.  At least in my experience, it is best to stand off and get as much damage on them as possible while they come in.

In my short stint as a Mobula pilot, the strength of the ship is that it is equally effective at long and short range.  I think of it kinda like half a galleon.  Instead of having a short range and long range side, it has both on the same side. 

Also, the way I see the Mobula being repaired, you really need 2 "main" engis -- Balloon Side and Hull Side, with the 3rd top engi as a floater.  If you see the engine, balloon, and right side guns as one circuit and the engine, hull, and left side guns as the other circuit.  The top gun guy has the main engine.

After a little consideration and things finally falling into place, the Mobula makes a lot of sense and there isn't much at all I would change.  I would like a ladder in the back, but I'm not even sure how much that is necessary, or even how much difference it will make, but it is nice to have.

My hats off to Muse for building a ship that operates quite differently than the other ships -- not an easy feat.

Haven't had this much fun on a ship since I first started playing.  Thanks Muse.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:13 pm »
The only way a Mobula will get up to running speed is with kerosene/moonshine and/or engine buffs - either way the pilot will be pulling engies off guns to do it.

Where it does excel is being able to have 3 guns on target along the length of it's wingspan if you are careful about choosing weapons with large turning arcs.