Author Topic: Displaying Microphone Input Levels  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Kanimal

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Displaying Microphone Input Levels
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:35 pm »
I noticed that there is no current indicator that relays the mic level when voice chatting.  This makes it a bit difficult to know how loud you are or if your mic is actually functioning.  I was playing a game and coordinating efforts with the mic.  Turns out I actually wasn't doing anything like that as my mic was unplugged and there is no way to tell what the input level is.

It would also be helpful to display on what channel you are voice chatting (I don't think this is currently done, so correct me if I am wrong), such as current crew or team captains only.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying Microphone Input Levels
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:42 pm »
Agreed on this. A lot of captains don't notice how quietly they're speaking, and that can make it pretty hard to listen to what they're trying to say to you.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:52 am »
As a captain who routinely mixes one channel with another I can say that I may not want this feature, but plainly I need it.  Though I doubt it will diminish the amount of times I ask a friendly captain to put out the hull fire.

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:04 am »
I think an indicator of if you are actually talking and what channel is required. I constantly use both voice channels and I sometimes mix them up.

Maybe colour code the different names that popup that currently tell you if you're talking? Light brown for captain and dark brown for crew?

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:35 am »
More importantly, we need a way to adjust individual players' volumes.  Captain Dumbass isn't going to speak any louder and the shrieking engineer isn't going to tone it down anytime soon.