Author Topic: So, about those Double Hwachas  (Read 26001 times)

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: So, about those Double Hwachas
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
You're basically using polite words to insult me. I've changed ships and loadouts non-stop with this game and I'm still not happy. Don't think for a second that I haven't considered what I'm doing wrong. That's all I've ever thought with this game. You don't know me, so don't try.

I'm just blunt.

You got owned by double hwachas. You tried, and failed, to come up with a way to counter it. You went to the forums and, instead of trying to learn how to handle galleons with double hwachas, you claimed double Hwachas are op because you couldn't think of an effective way to counter it. You're presented with ways that can effectively counter it, and you claim that the Hwacha is "poor design". You're again presented with ways to deal with Hwachas, and you claim this game is too hard and don't want to play anymore.

Are you actually trying to learn how to play, or would you rather blame the game because it has "broken mechanics" or "it's too hard"?

This game rewards good positioning and knowledge of the mechanics. There's a wealth of guides and FAQs here on the forums, and the community is ready and willing to give advice to anyone who wants it (as you can see from all the helpful advice in this thread). As with most games, GoIO has a learning curve, although piloting has a steeper one than most. If you're just after instant gratification, you might prefer being a gunner. It still has a learning curve for some guns, but it's still more accessible than piloting.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:31:23 pm by naufrago »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 03:40:02 pm »
And double Manticore on one broadside is not that strong at all, whenever I see an opponent going with that loadout I think to myself "easy points", because that means no Flak cannon that kills me in 2 hits when the armor goes down, no Lumberjack to keep my ship pernanently at ground level and no Lochnagar Hellhound to strip my armor in one hit.

Double manticore build is one of the most effective ways of utilizing a low level crew. If I get stuck with powder monkeys, I give them a manticore and tell them to have fun. When paired with a chain gun a single manicore is pretty deadly, the 2nd manticore is just icing on the cake. A double manticore galleon with a double gat pyra or junker flying interference is a very effective combo. One time another captain and I took that ship pairing with all AI crews against a stacked (lev4+) enemy team and won.

Edit: Be nice naufrago we have all had those days where nothing we do works against an opponent.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:43:32 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »
And double Manticore on one broadside is not that strong at all, whenever I see an opponent going with that loadout I think to myself "easy points", because that means no Flak cannon that kills me in 2 hits when the armor goes down, no Lumberjack to keep my ship pernanently at ground level and no Lochnagar Hellhound to strip my armor in one hit.

Double manticore build is one of the most effective ways of utilizing a low level crew. If I get stuck with powder monkeys, I give them a manticore and tell them to have fun. When paired with a chain gun a single manicore is pretty deadly, the 2nd manticore is just icing on the cake. A double manticore galleon with a double gat pyra or junker flying interference is a very effective combo. One time another captain and I took that ship pairing with all AI crews against a stacked (lev4+) enemy team and won.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but experience told me that there are others more effective loadouts.
It's hardly the be-all-end-all that the OP is describing.

Offline Sailorman

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:54:52 pm »
Why where you facing the broadside of a Galleon? Never ever face the broadside of a Galleon, that thing has some major blind spot in front of the ship and at the rear, thats where you have to be.

And I don't think you must be close to a galleon when using twin Artemis, just stay far away and you can probably disable the galleon with a good gunner (or a not so good one, it is a huge target) and an ally can finish it.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 04:31:34 pm »
It doesn't sound like the OP is willing to listen to advice, so instead, I'll just throw my strategy out there for the rest of you willing to learn!

When you've been Hwachad, repair vital things like your hull if its been taken down, and ALMOST repair your guns and engines. Wait for them to fire their next volley, *hdbxhbskwrjjdpcmdbskcn*, now they're reloading. With  one swing (well, two. One to repair, one to rebuild) *thunk*  your guns and engines are working! Next, run away, or take out their guns and kill them with the above mentioned tactics!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:34:38 pm by Zenark »

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 05:40:28 pm »
My main point is that my whole crew spent the entire time against this Galleon just repairing since it was reloaded and ready to fire again once our ship was fixed enough to fire back, disabling most of our ship... again. The weapon is simply poor design. It took a while for the Hwachas to destroy our ship, but they were content to wait since we literally couldn't go anywhere.

What you're feeling is natural, lil buddy! It's the NATURAL PROGRESSION OF NEW PLAYERS IN GoIO.

You'll go from placing random weapons on your ship to pinning a Hwacha on any hardpoint that can carry it, convinced of its superiority.

Next, you get hit by a good hwacha barrage and decide the weapon is JUST OP, NERF IMMEDIATELY

Next, you'll realize how inaccurate that was, and it's at this point that you may even consider laying off the throttle while flying.

Everybody I know went through some weird stage where everything was all Hwacha, all the time, followed by a time when the Hwacha seemed to reign supreme. Take a look at the weapons at your disposal, use the range of those weapons to keep your enemy at bay, and avoid ending up in the broadside of a short range galleon multiple times per match. The game isn't broken.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
If you've changed ships and loadouts a lot and still can't beat enemies like this then I suggest a change in flying styles. Be an evasion flier. Maybe fly attack squid loadouts and really master it because the skills transfer to other ships once you do. It is heavy usage of pilot tools. Vertical assist tools and/or speed tools. Tar is useful in the build as it can disable decently.

I'd start with a flamer/mortar attack squid so you can get the angles down and once the flames burn the armor off the mortar is just devastating against heavy warships. Plus flames will send crews into panic mode quite often. Mixed with mortar I call it a chaos loadout. It won't crack armor and kill quickly but it messes up engineers and forces them to run around prespraying chem instead of shooting. Also with the flame/repair changes they are forces to do one or the other.

As you grow in confidence with it, advance to gat/flak attack squid or gat/mortar. I'd recommend gat/flak because you need faster shots so you can evade. Mortar just takes time sitting there and unless your against a heavy warship, you won't be able to hit all your shots before enemy evades.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:55:37 pm by Gilder de Unfettered »

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:28 pm »
How to counter a galleon.

Take 1 mobula add 4 banshees and 1 mercury field gun.
Use burst ammo for the banshees and make sure to aim at components not the hull, use the mercury to breach the hull while the banshees break every component, then sit back and watch for the galleon pilot starting a thread on quad banshees being OP.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 06:09:54 pm »
How to counter a galleon.

Take 1 mobula add 4 banshees and 1 mercury field gun.
Use burst ammo for the banshees and make sure to aim at components not the hull, use the mercury to breach the hull while the banshees break every component, then sit back and watch for the galleon pilot starting a thread on quad banshees being OP.

That sounds like either a lot of fun or a nightmare. Either way I salute you for the good chuckle your post gave me.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »
Barujin, it seems to me like there are two options.

1. The double hwacha galleon has no counter and everyone saying otherwise in this thread is lying.
2. The double hwacha galleon is counter-able and you may be incorrect.

You seem to be chilling with option 1, however, it seems that reality may be chilling with option 2.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:25:53 pm by Sammy B. T. »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 07:08:58 pm »
Well, he's not the first new player to think Hwachas are op as anyone who frequent the forums know.  They're one of those weapons that are brutal on newer players and infrequently used by vets (note how often you see hwachas in competitive play). 

When crews are not organized, don't know the correct priority of repairs and rebuilds and allies fly off to lala land to look at the beautiful maps; any disabling builds, especially hwachas seem overpowered and frustrating to deal with.  Also most newer players won't know the hwacha counter strategies, like how to doge a hwacha shot, how to break a hwacha before it hits your ship and barring that, how to mitigate the damage of a hwacha blast and minimize component breakage when getting hit by one (or 2 in this case).

My best recommendation to you sir would be to fly and crew with high level players and learn from their experience.  If you decide to stick with the game; you'll learn all these tricks and then some and punish the next Galleon foolish enough to think they can win with a double hwacha broadside.

Offline Barujin

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:05 pm »
Well, he's not the first new player to think Hwachas are op as anyone who frequent the forums know.  They're one of those weapons that are brutal on newer players and infrequently used by vets (note how often you see hwachas in competitive play). 

When crews are not organized, don't know the correct priority of repairs and rebuilds and allies fly off to lala land to look at the beautiful maps; any disabling builds, especially hwachas seem overpowered and frustrating to deal with.  Also most newer players won't know the hwacha counter strategies, like how to doge a hwacha shot, how to break a hwacha before it hits your ship and barring that, how to mitigate the damage of a hwacha blast and minimize component breakage when getting hit by one (or 2 in this case).

My best recommendation to you sir would be to fly and crew with high level players and learn from their experience.  If you decide to stick with the game; you'll learn all these tricks and then some and punish the next Galleon foolish enough to think they can win with a double hwacha broadside.
^This.

This is the first time that I've been through this, so all of the accusations against me are simply unnecessary. This game is not friendly to beginners and the Hwacha just makes it very frustrating. Consider what happens if a pilot doesn't notice a Galleon coming up from behind with double Hwachas because they're focused on taking out its partner. Then, a pilot could easily end up in an endless session of Hwacha repairs. This is exactly the problem I had. The weapon is OP simply as a disabler. The critics of this thread are the ones who aren't listening... to me.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 12:12:13 am »
This is the first time that I've been through this, so all of the accusations against me are simply unnecessary. This game is not friendly to beginners and the Hwacha just makes it very frustrating. Consider what happens if a pilot doesn't notice a Galleon coming up from behind with double Hwachas because they're focused on taking out its partner. Then, a pilot could easily end up in an endless session of Hwacha repairs. This is exactly the problem I had. The weapon is OP simply as a disabler. The critics of this thread are the ones who aren't listening... to me.
Barujin, I understand you're feeling frustrated, but the thing is that you approached this from the totally wrong way. If you had created a thread and said "hey everyone, I went up against a dual hwacha galleon and got owned, what can I do differently to counter this?" everyone would have happily given you advice. As you can see from this thread, we have loads of veteran players here willing to share some great strategies. Instead, however, you created a thread saying "hey everyone, I went up against a dual hwacha galleon and got owned, the gun is really overpowered and the game mechanics are broken." It's just not an open mindset. So I hope you can understand where some of the people in this thread are coming from when they might seem to be attacking you. It's not that people here aren't receptive to new players, we just like to see new players willing to learn. At first it seemed like you had no interest in learning, and that instead were content just telling us the gun is broken. Surely if the gun was actually broken there would be a lot more complaints here about it.

Anyway, the point is that all of us here are ready and willing to help you; we love seeing new players get excited about the game and want to learn how to counter certain loadouts. What people here don't like seeing is new players blaming the game for being broken instead of trying to take the time to learn. And I'm not saying you're necessarily against learning, but some of your posts came across as you simply blaming the game for your losing. And trust me, I know how frustrating losing can be, especially when you're starting out. I think all of us do; we've all been there. Just have to stick with it and fly with some experienced captains who can show you some tricks. And luckily we have an amazing community here of people willing to teach, provided people are willing to learn.

Hopefully you decide to stick around and give the game another shot. I know you said you thought the game wasn't for you, but once you start practicing more and flying with other experienced players, the teamwork and tactics get a lot easier.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 01:00:23 am »

This is the first time that I've been through this, so all of the accusations against me are simply unnecessary.

I crew with a lot of new players and, I'm sure I'm not alone in this, there is a subset of new players will continue to do the same things that didn't work, despite being advised on how to better their skills.  Now sometimes it's a case of tunnel vision, and once they step back and reflect they will see their errors. Other times it's just bloody-mindedness, it's the game that's broken not their gameplay and this kind of player is the bane of any crew. The longer you play the more you will see this kind of player, and this is perhaps why some of the replies appear to make assumptions about what you have or haven't done in-game, the tone of your original post came across as the latter.

That said posts while not agreeing with your main premiss because they know a double manti-lleon is not really such a threat if handled correctly, but are offering some really good piloting tips in this thread to deal with the problem you had, take time to write, that shows people care enough to spend the time addressing your problem.

Group hug all?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:02:17 am by Calico Jack »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 02:42:56 am »
Lemme get in that group hug action.

I feel better already.