Author Topic: So, about those Double Hwachas  (Read 25921 times)

Offline Barujin

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
So, about those Double Hwachas
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »
I just played a match against a Galleon that had all Hwachas. At medium range, they were doing so much damage in one blow from both of them, that my entire crew (including me) had to try and repair everything. By the time we got enough fixed to fight back, they were ready for another salvo. Does anyone else think this weapon may be a bit OP? Seriously, we had no chance of success against it. I didn't rage quit during the match (in fact I went two rounds against them), but I definitely left the room at the end feeling quite angry. They simply do far too much damage to the ship in one blast.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: So, about those Double Hwachas
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
I don't think it is overpowered, sir. It all depends on the ammo with a hwacha and on the range. Stay out of their range or engage them in their blind spot and they don't stand a chance.
Furthermore, using a hwacha without heavy clip, incendiary and burst may lead to pretty no results at all.
On a Goldfish they're not even capable of killing you if engaged by it alone. It is a disabling weapon, so yeah, it disables everything.

As said: it's mainly a far range weapon and can be easily destroyed by a mercury, artemis or gatling.

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »
I was using a double artemis pyramidion setup (with mortar and carronade on the side) and got nowhere in my long range attacks on that Galleon. The whole match was ridiculous. Easily destroyed, huh?

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:12:34 pm »
With double artemis, youre able to disable their guns, but much like double hwacha you'll have a tough time cracking armor due to the explosive/shatter damage (which are both bad against armor). That, combined with the fact that the Galleon can soak a ton of damage (it has way more armor and hull than a pyra), means that unless you carefully manage your positioning, you're gonna have a bad time.

You shouldn't expect to kill much of anything with double artemis unless you coordinate with your ally to bring down their armor. In this case, your ally better bring at least a merc or gat. Double artemis can't crack armor well, but the explosive damage means that it can hurt permahull decently.

EDIT: Also, the 'easily destroyed' thing he was referring to was the hwacha, not the galleon. with a merc, artemis, or gat, you shouldn't have much problem taking out the guns.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:22:20 pm by naufrago »

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:34 pm »
I was using a double artemis pyramidion setup (with mortar and carronade on the side) and got nowhere in my long range attacks on that Galleon. The whole match was ridiculous. Easily destroyed, huh?

Remove one of the Artemis and instead put a Mercury in its place.
There, I fixed your ship.

No, seriously if you have an even remotely competent gunner by the time you get at medim range the Galleon won't have a single weapon still functioning and from there you can basically keep him locked rebuilding components while you damage the Hull. It's a tried and tested build.

And double Manticore on one broadside is not that strong at all, whenever I see an opponent going with that loadout I think to myself "easy points", because that means no Flak cannon that kills me in 2 hits when the armor goes down, no Lumberjack to keep my ship pernanently at ground level and no Lochnagar Hellhound to strip my armor in one hit.
Sure if I make a mistake they might be able to disable my ship but it's hardly one of the better setups for the Galleon. One Manticore is enough.

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »
My main point is that my whole crew spent the entire time against this Galleon just repairing since it was reloaded and ready to fire again once our ship was fixed enough to fire back, disabling most of our ship... again. The weapon is simply poor design. It took a while for the Hwachas to destroy our ship, but they were content to wait since we literally couldn't go anywhere.

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:30:51 pm »
There's plenty of ships that with the right loadout can keep an opponent totally helpless, I do the same with my Carronade-Banshee Squid.
The Manticore is a nice weapon, but hardly OP. You just need to adjust your strategy

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »
My main point is that my whole crew spent the entire time against this Galleon just repairing since it was reloaded and ready to fire again once our ship was fixed enough to fire back, disabling most of our ship... again. The weapon is simply poor design. It took a while for the Hwachas to destroy our ship, but they were content to wait since we literally couldn't go anywhere.
If you're allowing dual hwachas to hit you, you're not flying correctly. I don't mean that as an insult, but hwachas are easily countered, you just have to know what you're doing.

In particular, galleons have two heavy guns on each side, but they're absolutely useless against you if you're behind them, since you can shoot out their engines (and their hull) and they won't be able to turn to get their guns pointed at you. Take a ship that's easy to maneuver, and then you can fly right into their blind spot untouched.

Against hwachas (or all heavy guns really) you'll want to have a mercury field gun. That way you can easily snipe out the hwacha before it's able to hit you at all. The mercury has a much longer range than the hwacha does, so if you have a gunner who is able to shoot the mercury, you'll be able to keep the hwachas destroyed while you approach the galleon.

Anything will seem overpowered if you don't know how to counter it, it's just a matter of trying different approaches and finding every ship and gun's weaknesses. Again, I don't mean any of that as an insult, just takes some practice is all.  :)

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:38:46 pm »
If you're allowing dual hwachas to hit you, you're not flying correctly. I don't mean that as an insult, but hwachas are easily countered, you just have to know what you're doing.

In particular, galleons have two heavy guns on each side, but they're absolutely useless against you if you're behind them, since you can shoot out their engines (and their hull) and they won't be able to turn to get their guns pointed at you. Take a ship that's easy to maneuver, and then you can fly right into their blind spot untouched.

Against hwachas (or all heavy guns really) you'll want to have a mercury field gun. That way you can easily snipe out the hwacha before it's able to hit you at all. The mercury has a much longer range than the hwacha does, so if you have a gunner who is able to shoot the mercury, you'll be able to keep the hwachas destroyed while you approach the galleon.

Anything will seem overpowered if you don't know how to counter it, it's just a matter of trying different approaches and finding every ship and gun's weaknesses. Again, I don't mean any of that as an insult, just takes some practice is all.  :)
I get what you're saying and I didn't feel insulted. This game just isn't for me. I suspect that much of the public might feel the way I do when they try GoIO, but that's my opinion. There's just so much strategy and teamwork involved that I'd rather play something else, instead.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »

Sounds like you're blaming the game instead of trying to learn from your experience. I know it's much easier to blame others and not yourself, but you can't get better if you don't place even the slightest fault on yourself. There are numerous things you could have differently that would help you avoid that situation. You could have used a different loadout or ship, you could have controlled your positioning and engage distance better, you could have coordinated with your ally better to get the galleon off you since that galleon definitely isn't going to be killing you quickly...

Just trying to help you, not insult you.

I get what you're saying and I didn't feel insulted. This game just isn't for me. I suspect that much of the public might feel the way I do when they try GoIO, but that's my opinion. There's just so much strategy and teamwork involved that I'd rather play something else, instead.

That's mostly true if you're a pilot, so maybe you'd rather try being an engi or gunner? With those, you don't have to think as much about strategy and tactics- it's mostly just triage and knowing where to point your gun.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 02:49:10 pm »
As frago said, you might enjoy gunner or engineer a bit more, since they require less tactics, but honestly the strategy and teamwork is why most of us love the game.  :)

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »

Sounds like you're blaming the game instead of trying to learn from your experience. I know it's much easier to blame others and not yourself, but you can't get better if you don't place even the slightest fault on yourself. There are numerous things you could have differently that would help you avoid that situation. You could have used a different loadout or ship, you could have controlled your positioning and engage distance better, you could have coordinated with your ally better to get the galleon off you since that galleon definitely isn't going to be killing you quickly...

Just trying to help you, not insult you.

You're basically using polite words to insult me. I've changed ships and loadouts non-stop with this game and I'm still not happy. Don't think for a second that I haven't considered what I'm doing wrong. That's all I've ever thought with this game. You don't know me, so don't try.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »
And our point is that your method of approach and gun choice was incorrect to fight what you're facing (honestly, double artemis is just not very optimal in any situation).

But hey, as you yourself said, the game isn't for everyone. Just keep in mind that learning games general will take a while, and you can't really expect to get a new one and be the best immediately ;)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:03:31 pm »
It has been covered before, but never fight a galleon on its terms. The hwacha has pretty poor turning limits on both the lateral and vertical axises. Until you get close enough where your speed can outstrip the galleon's turning rate try to avoid fire on the vertical axis. That is approach the galleon too low or too high for either ships' guns to be effective. It is not easy but as the many other people in this thread have pointed out, it can be done.

If you do get into a situation where all your components are broken by the hwachas, you can try and rise or sink out of the situation (because your engines will most likely be broken). Tell your crew to prioritize hull and turning engines. Surviving continuous double hwacha attack is very difficult an it is best not to get into that situation to begin with.

Finally, every strategy you see an enemy do can be copied. Every gun and pilot tool is available at first level. With the exception of Muse Bubble's instakill enemy ship button (I kid) everything game mechanic wise the enemy has, you have.

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:12 pm »
Well, most of the times is not the loadout that's wrong but the way you fly the ship.
One error I see most inexperienced pilots do is getting too close to the enemy too fast. There's a reason why you have so many throttle settings.
This game has a lot of depth to it and most of the problems new players have are because of little things they overlook thinking that it won't make a difference.

Basically, get to know the weapons and try keeping the correct distance from your enemy instead of just charging in.